Austerity

Cleopatra

Well... Well... Well... Councils have been trying to squeeze every penny they can out of joe public and blaming the recession for the austerity measures, cutting back on public services etc., and all the time, according to Eric Pickles, they are hoarding 16 BILLION pounds while pleading poverty.

Wonder how much WBC have got stashed away? Would the answer be available under the FOI act?

Ahhh well...! If you all are happy to suffer the squeeze while your council is sitting on a small fortune why should I worry, living a life of luxury here, it isn't bothering me :wink:  :lol: .

Anyway can't spend anymore time arguing with you all tonight. I have to go down and make sure the staff are preparing for our new year party in accordance to my instructions.

Happy New Year!

The councils are sitting on reserves of 33% of total annual expenditure whilst squealing about cuts of around 1.5 - 2% next year.

Since they were able to increase their reserves last year by around 15% (6 times the rate of inflation ) on top of a reduction in money from the government (ie. the taxpayer) then they obviously still received significantly more of my money last year than they needed.

Making good the next round of cuts from reserves - without having to make any savings at all - would still see the reserves last 20 years or more! And that's ignoring the effect of interest on the piles of money they've got sitting in the bank!

In reality, the reserves could easily last as long as 30 years before anyone needs to feel any pain at all.

Ahhh well...! If you all are happy to suffer the squeeze while your council is sitting on a small fortune why should I worry, living a life of luxury here, it isn't bothering me :wink:  :lol: .

Anyway can't spend anymore time arguing with you all tonight. I have to go down and make sure the staff are preparing for our new year party in accordance to my instructions.

Happy New Year!

Glad to hear that you are living the life of luxury over there Cleo :lol:  but if I was in your imaginary shoes I'd have given my 'staff' the night off from boring duties running around after me and mine so they could have a bloody good party of their own and I'd also have given them the next week off on double pay so they could recover.  In fact I'd have given them the whole of xmas and new year off and more besides   8)  

Lovie. they were happy to do the work involved because once everything was prepared they were able to join in the celebrations with us and they thoroughly enjoyed it. They may be servants but they are well paid for their services and enjoy their work because they are treated more as friends and not as slaves. Forget the images you might have of servants dressed in uniforms following orders barked out at them.

Having said that, let me explain something to you. Here Christmas is celebrated only by the coptic christians and not by muslims. We did not celebrate as you did but by way of my being british we did have a typical christmas dinner without all the falderals of decorations paper hats and crackers etc.,. The coptic christians (not muslims)  in fact celebrate christmas day on January 7th.

Now. the Egyptian new year is not on the 1st of January (would you believe it?) but in fact 11th September, or 12th September in a leap year. Again, by virtue of my being british we celebrated last night/this morning and no doubt there will be one or two people moaning about the fireworks at midnight but, hey, it's only once a year. :lol: