Fuel bills

asperity

Odd that you should say that, when the web sites you are using are being paid to say what they say, you have to look harder and harder for web sites, Mans contribution to warming has been proven, most governments agree on that, their will always be sceptics and those who think its a conspiracy put together by governments. Your not one of those people that has been operated on by Aliens are you, it wouldn't surprise me, looking at the conspiracy web sites you seem to use. :wink:

Man's contribution to warming, apart from the urban heat island effect, has not been proven and if you can show me any proof then I will be amazed. I don't think it's a government conspiracy but governments are always willing to grasp anything that will give them an excuse to raise taxes. Global temperatures have not risen for over 15 years, even the most ardent warmists admit this. The earth is in a period called the holoscene interglacial and has already passed the warmest period in this interglacial by some thousands of years. What lies  ahead is the continuing slow descent to the next glaciation. Any recent warming is just a natural variation but the long term trend is inexoriably down to very cold. I'm glad I'll be long gone before then.

• Upvote 1

Seems "the experts" are finding evidence that no significant short term change is taking place in terms of global warming, although they still predict temperature rises in the long term.  Energy prices are now being predicted to exceed mortgage repayments in the future. Should we get angry or would that constitute tilting at windmills?

I think the key term in that is "short term". People are looking at trends over the last 150 years and think it is meaningful when, in actual fact, they should be looking at the real long term trends of tens of thousands of years. Thats the reality.

Very good PJ, so long as you ignore the vested interests involved. Tim Yeo, the chairman of the Climate Change Committee, makes most of his money from being on the boards of "green energy" companies. The more money these companies can screw out of the consumer/taxpayer the better he, and his confederates, like it. Meanwhile we are enjoying yet another cold spring ( in Australia they are enjoying an unusually cold and wet autumn, so it isn't a regional phenomenom) and paying higher fuel bills due to the taxes the government is dishonestly raising using the power companies as surrogates.

and you make most of your money from one of the worlds filthiest polluting industries so does that make you biased?.....  I see that you aren't prepared to accept anything as fact if it contradicts your slewed logic.

PJ, I will happily accept any evidence you have that contradicts my "slewed logic". And, for your information, I don't "make most of my money from one of the worlds filthiest polluting industries" but rather I am employed in the transport industry. You point me to any part of our modern economy which can exist without the use of fossil fuels and I might accept that you have any sort of argument.

It is a fact that a lot of the people behind the renewable energy argument stand to make a lot of money by convincing the general public that we have to accept higher energy costs to "save the planet" rather than using technology to reduce prices. Forgive my cynicism but the planet was here a very long time after we arrived and will be here a very long time after we've gone. We are talking millions of years here, not a few thousand.

So to go back to my first sentence, provide some evidence to contradict my "slewed logic" .

This is all old news PJ, and regulations have been put in place to curb emissions by banning the use of the dirtier forms of fuel. For example ships in European waters now have to use low sulphur (below 0.5%) fuel. My ship burns gasoil which is low sulphur, and there are stringent controls on the amount of noxious gasses we are allowed to emit with the engines having to be certificated and inspected at regular intervals. Also these articles compare ships with aeroplanes which is a bit naiive when you start thinking about pollution per mile/per tonne of cargo carried. This is also true of road transport. A 14000TEU container ship can carry 14000 containers. How much pollution is caused by 14000 trucks?

We can all use Google PJ. Have a read of this: http://www.imo.org/ourwork/environment/pollutionprevention/airpollution/pages/technical-and-operational-measures.aspx

My ship has a fuel monitoring system which transmits data to head office so that they can see how efficiently the engine is running in real time.

Are you happy to see ever increasing energy costs caused by the fantasy that we can somehow control the climate?