Manchester Road Accident now - more chaos

Dizzy

Rod- you are overlooking the fact that it was throwing it down for most of the week so the car was the better option than cycling or walking- sorry its not that clear cut fella

Agreed. I used my car a few times this week. I also walked a few times and used a bike a few times.

He's also ignoring the fact that many parts of the borough (including the village where he lives) have virtually NO public transport services - or at best just a limited service to the town centre with no services to the major employment and retail areas elsewhere in the borough. This leaves the council tax payers in those areas with NO alternative but to use their cars.

These council tax payers have a RIGHT to a decent road network which allows them to get where they need to go at a reasonable speed.

Inky

Well I think that 2 buses an hour can't be classed as "virtually no public transport services".  And what about the new services in North Warrington linking up the major employments areas. And what about cycling in to Warrington or work.

I think we might differ on what you call a "reasonable speed".

Regards

Rod

Think the motor heads are in some kind of denial; road space is finite, vehicles arn't; and especially in urban areas, we're looking at grid lock.  If everyone got in there cars at the same time, you wouldn't get past the end of your street.  So until new technology comes up with something futuristic, we can all get used to nose to tail queues .

obs, your logic only applies if the road design is the best possible for the town. It isn't and every time they put more traffic lights in and don't find ways to ease the flow, it gets worse.

Perhaps it would help if the people working in NTH lived in Warrington, at least they would understand the problem. Methinks they all accessed town and exited via Winwick Road. They got that fed up queueing, they did something about it.

Inky

Well I think that 2 buses an hour can't be classed as "virtually no public transport services".  And what about the new services in North Warrington linking up the major employments areas. And what about cycling in to Warrington or work.

I think we might differ on what you call a "reasonable speed".

Regards

Rod

It's actually a bus every hour at best from most areas of the village, the two routes passing through the village only come together just near your house - everyone else can only really use one or the other.

They only run to the town centre - fine if that's where you want to go, but no use at all for most people - and they only run from 7:30 in the morning, so no good at all if you need to be at work for 8.

So to recap. No service before 7:30am, after that one bus per route per hour, even less than that on a Sunday - just one per 2 hours per route between 9am and 6pm, no direct service at all to anywhere but the town centre - not even to the mainline railway station,  I'd class that as "virtually no service" any day of the week.

My definition of a "reasonable speed" at which to accomplish a 6 mile journey certainly doesn't include a wait of up to an hour before the journey even starts - at an average speed of less than 6mph, I really could walk into town faster!

Pete, as I've said; there's scope for maximising the use of available road space - get rid of bus/bike lanes and that stupid white cross hatching; one way systems could double or even treble the number of lanes per road - but after all that, then what?  Just too many cars I'm afraid, and an option would be to reduce the number of cars; either by pricing most of us off the roads (Tory tolls) or another option, by improving the medical and competance tests for holding a licence = less drivers = less cars = less congestion.

I really could walk into town faster!

Don't admit to that Inky.... that's the only bit that Rod will respond to!!

Public transport is a farce in this town. It is overpriced and too infrequent and inflexible. Bikes are great for pottering to the shop or following some trans-pennine trail in your lycra, but after that totally useless for modern living and modern shopping.

Problem is, the likes of Rod and his kind use the green argument as a battering ram to convince these incompetants in the town hall that they must stop pandering to the tax paying car driver and waste spend money on improving the traffic flows for cars... pedestrians have footpaths and bikes have their lanes.... and never the three should meet!

• Upvote 1

Inky

I think that most people when choosing where to live will take into account the transport arrangements that are on offer. Many will recognise that they will have more options available in certain places. Others may decide that they do not want to use public transport and for them they may ignore the transport links. That's fine.

Others may choose to cycle the 6 miles involved in a trip to Warrington.

But I cannot understand why you seem to be so against people being able to choose to travel by bus or bike. Does it really make much difference to you if society and the council takes into account the needs of the 25% of households who don't have a car, or indeed the 100% of children who cannot drive?

From what I can see comparing other local authorities then Warrington has a pretty good bus service. And certainly in terms of rail then it is very well connected with the rest of the country. Thats a good base to increase investment in public and sustainable transport and Warrington is seen as a council that is heading in the right direction on such matters. That's why it has won the recent LSTF funding to increase bus services and provide better walking and cycling facilities.

Regards

Rod

Not necessarily. I recall the days when it was not unusual for tradesmen to go around with horse and cart selling their wares. Often the horse would drop a load while the trader was trading then after they moved on someone would dash out with a bucket and shovel and scoop up the manure for their garden before someone else got it. Horse manure is a useful by-product. It was very good and many people used to put it on their rhubarb - though personally I preferred custard. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Think the motor heads are in some kind of denial; road space is finite, vehicles arn't; and especially in urban areas, we're looking at grid lock.  If everyone got in there cars at the same time, you wouldn't get past the end of your street.  So until new technology comes up with something futuristic, we can all get used to nose to tail queues .

obs, not really a valid argument, if everyone in Warrington got on there bikes on the road at the same time the same situation would come about, I don't see any winners on this topic, we are a small island that is overpopulated and too many cars on the roads available, personally I don't see 20mph speed limits achieving anything other than perhaps in the event of pedestrians being struck by motor cars, the pedestrian must stand a better chance of surviving the impact, regarding the improvement to the flow of traffic I personally don't see how it can help!. it slows traffic flow down with the consequence that vehicles travel in a lower gear resulting in increased mpg thus increasing carbon monoxide emissions.

And with many more being crammed in to every little available plot of land all the time Obs. 

Infact thinking about it all new houses these days have to have provision for parking cars Rod so clearly the developers and planners know that people will, without doubt, have cars and will use them.

I can't remember seeing any new houses aimed purely at cyclists, walkers or those who only use public transport.

Hey... there's an idea for an addition to your 'campaign' Rod and which could actually be useful and maybe even get some of the youngsters on the housing market.  GET THE COUNCIL AND DEVELOPERS TO OFFER HALF PRICE HOMES FOR PEOPLE WHO PROMISE NOT TO OWN OR USE A CAR ANYWHERE IN WARRINGTON.  :blink:  

As for a few of the other posts on here.. well I'm speechless as some are completely laughable and ridiculous so I though I might aswell join in.      

I remember someone posting a space shot of air traffic congestion on the world map - same thing - just toooo many folk.  There are some futuristic inovations though - Hong Kong, a densely packed area, has built high rise dwellings, linked at the top level by covered walk (cycle)-ways. Rio has used a cable car system to get folk from A TO B, above the clutter and congestion of their slums. Not a future for those who want their semi with a car in the drive though!

Well here's a daft idea, why don't we have special people who go to these traffic tangles when they occur and stand in the road, directing vehicles this way and that by the use of hand signals in order to get things moving again?

They could have uniforms and cars and radios and stuff. And those nice yellow jackets.

I don't know why it's not been thought of before...

• Upvote 1

Ban four wheel drive cars from inner town and city areas! (other than emergency and public services).

I can't see how that would make any difference at all Algy or the point of if either.  What's so bad about 4 wheel drives as although most are bigger they don't cause traffic jams or congestion  

If 4 wheeler's were banned then the same drivers would just buy/use a non 4 wheeler for going to towns/cities so there would be just as many cars on the roads. 

And what about people on holidays or workers would they just be expected to keep away from travelling through towns and cities and if so how on earth would they get to their final destination ?  Do NOT reply by bus/plane/train/taxi's/bicycles or walking please :P  

I can't see how that would make any difference at all Algy or the point of if either.  What's so bad about 4 wheel drives as although most are bigger they don't cause traffic jams or congestion  

If 4 wheeler's were banned then the same drivers would just buy/use a non 4 wheeler for going to towns/cities so there would be just as many cars on the roads. 

And what about people on holidays or workers would they just be expected to keep away from travelling through towns and cities and if so how on earth would they get to their final destination ?  Do NOT reply by bus/plane/train/taxi's/bicycles or walking please :P  

Took a while but I thought i would get a reaction!!! :lol: :lol:

It be great to walk or cycle everywhere but sadly I need to live in the real world and time would not allow it.

As for public transport it is to expensive and overcrowded and again to unrealiable..

Why is it lost on some people and government that decent public travel services at an reasnable price need to be in place first before people can practicaly use public transport.

Maybe local business that provide the service required locally need to encouraged by tax breaks instead of increasing them.

• Upvote 1