Ashamed of our Country

Bill

I don’t know what others think but article tonight about the closure of the many Remploy facilities though out the northwest really saddened me. The program took up the story of a married couple, both with learning difficulties, who had both lost their jobs at the Remploy factory. Neither had a cat in hells chance of getting a job due to their condition and what’s more, what they now received from the state nowhere near covered their basic needs and it looked pretty certain that they would now also loose their home.

I can’t believe that our society as been allowed to sink so low as to allow people with such an obvious lack of understanding to make idealistic decisions that utterly devastates the lives of vulnerable people.

Bill :)

• Upvote 1

I have a friend who use to be on disability benefit. The government stopped her benefit because she could walk over 25 yards with the help of crutches. They (the government) told her that she was fit for work and would need to sign on for Job Seekers allowance. However, she received a small pension from when her husband had died of £50 per week, which was then deducted from her jobseekers of £70 resulting in a grand total of £20 per week plus £15 a month for help with her council tax.

I agree entirely Bill, we are in a very sad state. :roll:

This country is in a shambles and reverting back to Victorian principles, it won't be long before we shall see not only individuals begging in the streets but families also.

Remploy was never set up to be a profit making operation and never would be, it gave people with learning difficulties and handicaps self respect to know and feel that they were contributing to society and made them feel useful, now, that has been taken away from them along with the means to provide for themselves.

Yes Bill I am totally ashamed of this country, we are giving handouts to those that are undeserving and taking away from those that genuinely need help. :angry: :angry:

• Upvote 1