Rickets?

observer

Aww that's not fair as I posted that the other day and you (all?) ignored me and my post's now gone.  I also said Harold Wilson started the removal of free schol milk in 1968 when he decided to remove it from secondary school kids.

I also recommended broccolli and/or sardines as being a very good source of calcium although thinking about it maybe saying school kids should be force fed either of those two was a bit harsh but then again.........  :wink:  :lol:  

I think I've mentioned it before Obs, I am not a "skipper". Aside from that you have obviously ignored all the negatives about cows milk that the article was drawing attention to, including the fact that it is an inefficient way of getting calcium (your main reason for advocating it apart from having a go at Maggie). Apart from anything else, from what I can remember about my school days there was no element of compulsion about drinking the third of a pint provided, and on warm summer days (remember them anybody?) it was usually undrinkable anyway after being sat in the yard since the early hours. So if you're not going to force feed milk to the ankle biters, what is your argument for it? Apart from drawing attention to Wilson stopping free milk in the first place that is.

My first job, together with my mate who is still my business partner even now, was delivering the milk to the classrooms when we were in Bewsey infants school.

We had a little trolley which the crates sat on and we pulled it round the school to each classroom....... child exploitation under a Labour Government even back then!! :lol:

I wouldn't say it has. There have been many reports published which advised that some food or other which previously was supposed to be good for the health is actually bad for the health and vice versa. and anyone taking notice of them all would certainly be soon going round the twist or becoming anorexic for fear of eating anything.

• Upvote 1

Seems the advice has been fairly consistent for the last 60 years, Asp.

And your evidence for this would be? I would have thought that both Wilson and Thatcher would have been given advice as to whether removal of free milk would be detrimental to health, and on that basis I would conjecture that the advice hasn't been consistent over the years. Just saying something doesn't make you right Obs.