Rickets?

observer

After trawling all the useless shop in Warrington trying to get xmas presents again for the past few days I think I now have rickets <_< anyway that's another story and another topic.

Regarding the increase in rickets in kids 'some' are putting it down to the fact that “kids are staying indoors playing on computers rather than going outside to kick a ball around” therefore not getting enough sun / vitamin D. I suppose they could also say that at school kids aren't getting as much outdoor time with shorter lunch and play times.

But the NHS bods also say

"However, it is important to highlight that this is not new research, but the opinion of these authors. The review did not look at the use of TV or computer games, and does not provide any new evidence of a link between these and rickets.

The authors highlight the importance of sunlight to ensure that the body has enough vitamin D, but they also mention other risk factors for vitamin D deficiency, one of which is having dark skin. As the researchers point out, it is possible that the increase in cases of rickets reflects the changing ethnic mix in the UK."

Oh heck and I bet you already knew that Obs and I am now the one responsible for turning this into another topic that will turn into immigration and 'darker' people by quoting one of the NHS's theories :shock::unsure:

Don't think it's a theory Diz, but scientific fact. Skin colour equates to the latitude on the planet that humans have evolved to adapt to. Tropical climes = more sun = more protection = more melanine = darker skin. This natural protection will prevent sufficient vitamin D absorbtion from weaker sunlight at higher latitudes. It's estimated that it takes around 20,000 years for skin colour to adapt to the level of sunlight at any given latitude. :shock:

Wasn't ricketts something that blighted society a hundred years ago when their were no indoor games to play & when there were less coloured people in the country to distort the statistics? Wasn't ricketts blamed on poverty & malnutrition & proper vitamins at the time. I'm sure the same is true today.

Wasn't ricketts something that blighted society a hundred years ago when their were no indoor games to play & when there were less coloured people in the country to distort the statistics? Wasn't ricketts blamed on poverty & malnutrition & proper vitamins at the time. I'm sure the same is true today.

You are quite correct Davy. Rickets was rife in the early 20th century for the reasons you stated, malnutrition, due to poverty, a poor diet and cramped and unhealthy living conditions. :blink:

"Rickets is a softening of bones in children due to deficiency or impaired metabolism of vitamin D, phosphorus or calcium, potentially leading to fractures and deformity. Rickets is among the most frequent childhood diseases in many developing countries. The predominant cause is a vitamin D deficiency, but lack of adequate calcium in the diet may also lead to rickets (cases of severe diarrhea and vomiting may be the cause of the deficiency). Although it can occur in adults, the majority of cases occur in children suffering from severe malnutrition, usually resulting from famine or starvation during the early stages of childhood."

Think the point I'm making, is that many things are brought in by Government for sound reasons, (EG: free school milk/meals; vaccintions; hospital hygene etc); then they begin work, and their original point and purpose gets lost, and they begin to be treated as an unecessary expenditure, and are ceased. Then the original problems begin to return - rickets, measles, hospital bugs etc. :(

Ricketts sounds similar to what Mrs Sid has. Her body cannot assimilate Calcium due to her parathyroid not working so she has to have calcium tablets and a Vitamin D supplement to keep her Calcium levels up. She was Only Diagnosed in the last few years but has had the condition all her life.