Today's news

asperity

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not a royalist in the true sense of the word but retaining a royal family does aid tourism.

William is popular, largely down to the public regard for his late mother - who wasn't a royal!

Whatever, William and Kate seem to be a lovely couple, and I much prefer reading about their happy romance than the sordid, drug and drink fueled **** of the lives of other celebrity couples who are so often in the headlines!

Also, in these depressing times, it's nice to hear some pleasant news.

Well, my son & his partner have just announced a happy forthcoming event as well so i would just like to say that Mr & Mrs HRH are in very good company.

"CONGRATULATIONS GRANDAD!"

It's nice to get some pleasant news on here too! Perhaps you could open a 'Wavy Davy Worldwide Grand-Baby' thread and give us some regular updates?

Very sad indeed. I’m wondering though if she really did committed suicide wholly on account of a childish prank or whether it was something that was said to her by the hospital management. They said they’ve done nothing but give her support but I’m guessing that they wouldn’t have been too happy with her when it all appeared in the media.

Bill :)

Maybe you are right Bill and I'm sure after the media coverage the hospital were not too pleased but like you say they say they say they had not disciplined her or the other nurse involved.

Apparently neither Kate and William or Buckingham Palace have complained about it either.

This lady (who was a nurse) only answered the phone as no receptionists were available and she is reported as simply transferring the call. and she wasn't the one who gave out the information either apparently.

Part of me wonders if maybe other things had been happening in her life and this pushed her over the edge. That sounds really awful I know, but to take your own life over a simple mistake you have made and a prank call that hadn't really caused and distress other that that drawn by the press seems tragic and somewhat hard to comprehend.

Maybe if it hadn't been reported to the press none of this would have happened :cry:

And do I blame the two DJ's for her death like the press and others are now doing... well 'No' to be honest I don't and I feel sorry for them too, sorry.

It is rare for any one thing to trigger a suicide there are usually other factors that create such pressure that an individual reaches a point where they feel that life is no longer bearable and I'm sure that this young lady felt that her life was no longer worth continuing, sadly a terrible waste of young and useful life.

The two Australian broadcasting idiots had once more overstepped the mark and although they could not imagine that there stupid, childish behaviour would result in the death of someone, they should be punished by loosing their jobs and receiving a lifetime ban in the broadcasting media - just my opinion.

It is rare for any one thing to trigger a suicide there are usually other factors that create such pressure that an individual reaches a point where they feel that life is no longer bearable and I'm sure that this young lady felt that her life was no longer worth continuing, sadly a terrible waste of young and useful life.

The two Australian broadcasting idiots had once more overstepped the mark and although they could not imagine that there stupid, childish behaviour would result in the death of someone, they should be punished by loosing their jobs and receiving a lifetime ban in the broadcasting media - just my opinion.

Agree with most of that, however it seems that prank calls were part of the remit on that particular station and their bosses were supportive of them, so I find it difficult to agree that they should lose their jobs. Perhaps their bosses should lose theirs. :unsure:

You feel sorry for the two richard heads????????????? :x

Yes I do Eagle as I'm sure they had no idea that a daft and somewhat harmelss (at the time) prank call would lead mass press coverage and that the poor lady who simply answered the call and passed it on would commit suicide.

The internet for example is full of prank calls most of which are hilarious and I'm sure many of us, including you, have probably listened to many and had a right old giggle.

Many radio stations (and others) do them as Baz has already pointed out. In the UK I believe that after pranking someone you have to get their permission to air it though.

I've even done, or arranged, prank calls myself (not to hospitals or people I don't know I hasten to add) and I've had many done on me too.

I also feel very sory for Kate and William as not only do they have the press hovering over them because Kate is preganant but now they have to contend with the fact that due to mass hysteria of press coverage regarding a phone to the hospital one of the nurses concerned has now killed herself.

I bet they wish that hadn't announced their happy news and the fact that Kate had been admitted to the hospotal as if they hadn;t this poor lady might still be alive.

I'm obviously not blaming them by the way, I'm just saying how bad they too must be feeling about it all.

Very very sad on all counts :cry:

Steve Penk said today, "I think there will be huge fallout. I think it will be, for want of a better phrase, the death of the wind-up phone call."

Penk (and others) always got permission from the victims of his 'pranks' before transmission, these two prats were simply irresponsible in broadcasting private medical information on the radio. Imagine if the nurse's response to the question had included the words, "sorry" and "miscarriage".

The problem with this sort of prank is the assumption that everyone else will find it just as funny and unfortunately in real life that’s not always the case. Yes we’ve all heard them and laughed but rarely, if ever, do we give a moments thought for the feelings of those on the receiving end. Having a laugh is one thing but when the prank sets out to make people look stupid or incompetent then for me it’s a step too far and I feel that’s the case here.

Would I feel sorry for these two? Not for one moment because they’re paid professionals making a career out of prank calls and as such they should fully understand the potential distress that they could cause.

Bill :)

Was their's actually broadcast live at the time Eagle? If so I do get where you are coming from with that last sentence.

.... but if that is the case then it is surely more their radio stations fault and also the fault of the broadcasting laws in their country.