Peace in Palastine?

observer

Think they're as bad as each other actually, as in most of these historic feuds. The Zionist nutters want to occupy the whole of "the promised land", although they can't prove the existance of the guy that promised it! The Palastinians refuse to recognise the State of Israel, granted (rightly or wrongly) by the UN. So, it goes on, and on, and on. :(

You would think the time between 1948 & now would be long enough for these people to live in harmony ,maybe it wasn't right to take part of the Holy Land from Palestine but the Jews had to go somewhere which was decreed by the League of Nations.

It does however seem a funny time for Israel to threaten an invasion considering the amount of instability in the surrounding Muslim countries especially Egypt which has been their only ally until recently.I wonder if Aeriel Sharon is still in charge of the Israeli forces ,if so i am not surprised at the conflict escalating.

So the Israelis are supposed to just sit there and accept civilians being bomabrded by explosives on a daily basis? The Palestinians have had numerous opportunities to come to a settlement but refuse to acept any solution apart from the end of the State of Israel and the removal of all Israelis, dead or alive. Get real people. Israel is the only stable state in the region.

And it is spelt PalEstine by the way.

• Downvote 1

Only one way to end a war, there has to be a Victor and the Vanquished, otherwise it will always 'kick off' again. Israel, officially the State of Israel, is a parliamentary republic in the Middle East a relatively new nation, the Jews are often referred to as a people, they are not!, Judaism is a religion, in the same way as christianity, catholicism, etc, and they have always been persecuted and as such are always on the defensive. I believe what happened in 1948 was dubious to say the least when the League of Nations took the easy way out, after the war there were 37,000 + Jews that left the shores of Europe illegally sailed for Palestine followed some 12 to 18 months later by another 20,000 + settling on land purchased by Jewish rabbis from an Arab landowner in the 1920s, not all Arabs believe the Jewish land purchases were harmful to the Arab culture and people. According to the editor of the Egyptian newspaper, Al-Ahram, "it is absolutely necessary that an entente be made between the Zionists and Arabs, because the war of words can only do evil. The Zionists are necessary for the country: The money which they will bring, their knowledge and intelligence, and the industriousness which characterized them will contribute without doubt to the regeneration of the country" Rather than tackling the problem head on the League of Nations 'sloped shoulders' and ruled that Great Britain should become the Mandatory government of Palestine to provide for Jewish settlement of the land so that it could again become the site of a Jewish homeland. It was widely believed that the Jews needed a homeland to be protected from persecution. The League also provided that the British should protect the local inhabitants’ civil rights – as distinguished from political or national rights.

And yes some of the above was compiled from books and articles on the net, isn't that what we all do!. :wink:

So a State that has aquired nuclear weapons and is fully intent on using them against anyone else in the region that seeks to aquire them, is "stable"? :unsure:

It is in fact Iran which is threatening to use nuclear weapons (if and when they aquire them) to wipe a sovereign nation "off the face of the earth". The amount of anti Israeli sentiment on this forum astounds me. The way you talk Obs sounds like you believe the Iranian regime would be fully justified in carrying out the act of genocide they are threatening. Unbelievable. :roll:

• Downvote 1

Well said Algy ,very informative.

I have to ask myself at times is there a puppet master in the background somewhere trying to draw Israel & Iran into some kind of conflict to try & resolve this situation in some way because the UN over the years have been a complete waste of time in this instance.

No Asp; I don't believe Iran should have nuclear weapons, but niether imo should Israel; but now the genie is out of the bottle; I frankly can't see how those States who do have them, have any moral basis for argueing against proliferation. Iraq has taught these States, that the actual possession of WMDs (rather than Saddam's fictitious possession of WMDs) can prevent pre-emptive invasions by the US and Co. As for "stabilty"; Israel is a paranoid nation, and with good historical reason; but paranioa isn't a sound basis for rational decision making. Their PR electoral system gives a disproportionate influence on their coalition Governments by the head bobbing zealots from the wailing wall; and it's no coincidence that the Hamas Leader was assasinated just prior to Israel's New Year elections. :shock:

And no coincidence that he was killed just after Hamas increased the number of rockets they were lobbing at civilian targets in Israel. It is well known that Hamas uses the Palestinian civilians as a human shield knowing that any response by the Israeli military will mean civilian casualties and result in wailing from the likes of you.

I find it difficult to believe, that a people that suffered in the Warsaw ghetto, are now prepared to inflict similar conditions on the people of Gaza - must be a role playing thing. :unsure: Far from wailing, as I said, imo they're as bad as each other, and the whole sorry mess stems from religion, as with most human conflict. :roll:

Just because you disagree with someone is no excuse to start indiscriminately chucking missiles at civilians. Hamas has consistently refused to negotiate any sort of peaceful settlement of the issue and has stated they will not rest until the State of Israel is destroyed. Obs you are being simplistic (yet again) to blame religion for the problems. Members of the Jewish faith and right minded Muslims do not try and force their religious views onto anyone else.

As for the UN, well that organisation has degenerated into a talking shop for extremists long ago.

I think you will find it is Israel, that does not want to negotiate , and they are opposed to the two state solution. Israel buy building is changing to their advantage what is happening on the ground, they have no intention of leaving the occupied territory. And by putting population on those lands they are showing it. The international community have failed to stop the building. So I ask again what are the Palestinians support to do, accept the building.

Not simplistic at all Asp; look at the majority of current conflicts in the world, and you'll find a religious base for them. As for "right minded people", how many were there in Ulster in the past; once sides are drawn, folk tend to be drawn to one or the other. :shock: I've no idea if this is true or not: but a jounalist on the Gavin Estler prog (CH80), claimed that the Hamas Leader was actually in negotiations for a peace agreement prior to being blown up. :unsure: