Post Boy Murder.

Davy51

I'd love to Algy but 250 miles is a bit too far to come!

In the meantime I've found a few more snippets on the FMP newspaper archive. The timeline looks to be:

Oct 1791 2 men and 2 women are in custody in Warrington and Manchester but not Edward Miles

Jan 1792 a 'Hue and Cry' is issued

NewcastleCourant21Jan1792.png

July 1792 someone called 'Whiteman' is arrested in Launceston. Not sure how he's connected :unsure:

Oxfordjournal28July1792.png

June 1793 Edward Miles is arrested in Manchester

August 1793 He is tried at the Assizes

Sept 1793 He's executed.

I've not reproduced all of the newspaper articles here because most of them are just 1 or 2 sentences.

• Upvote 1

FMP is 'Find My Past' Algy :wink: I have paid membership (6 months) and presume Tracey has one too but if you go to any of the local libraries you can access it for free (or at least you could anyway).

You can just buy credits but I did that once and went through them in a flash as depending on what you look at can take between 5 and 30 credits.

Get yourself a six month membership for xmas :wink:

FMP is 'Find My Past' Algy :wink: I have paid membership (6 months) and presume Tracey has one too but if you go to any of the local libraries you can access it for free (or at least you could anyway).

You can just buy credits but I did that once and went through them in a flash as depending on what you look at can take between 5 and 30 credits.

Get yourself a six month membership for xmas :wink:

Thank's Dizz. :)

I don't know, these Liverpudlians get the blame for everything :wink: :wink:

Most of the paternal side of the family came through Liverpool in the mid 19th century, one day after declaring this fact to Mrs Algy, she replied "Nothing wrong with Liverpool folk their hearts are in the right place it's just their brains that are poorly installed". :shock:

I'm not sure if I may have found James Hogworth's burial. It's on lan-opc, James Hogworth, buried at St Elphin's 18 September 1791 aged 24 but gives his occupation as Pinman, maybe mis-transcribed Postman?

There's also a burial of what could be his son, March 1792 "James Hogworth, Widow - Son of Nancy Hogworth" aged 2 days. That doesn't quite fit as she would have been r or 3 months pregnant when he died and the newspaper describes her as being 'far into her pregnancy' which I imagined to be 'about to pop'.

Hope it wasn't our James's son really, poor woman losing her husband and then her baby.

So what was The Twysters? :blink:

Lymm & District Local History Society has in its possession a transcript of the 1466 survey of the lands owned by Sir Peter Legh of Lyme (Lyme Park) This list all the lands in Warrington, Burtonwood, Great Sankey, Orford, Newton, Bold, Haydock, Golborne, Hindley, Lowton,Norley, Pemberton, Shevington, Eccleston,Croston, Much Hoole, Ownes Walton, Bretherton. Walton Le Dale, Elton, Lyme & Overhanley, Macclesfield, Grappenhall. Latchford, Appleton, Tabley, Ashton on Mersey, Sale, Lymm, Broomedge, Heatley, Fearnhead and other places owned by him, a very rich man!!!!!!

One of his tenants Gilbert Rysseley is listed among other holdings as having " four acres of arable land called Le Twystes lying below Le Bruche Holte. Arable land of Richard Bruche and also meadow of Richard Bruche lie on all sides of the four acres"

Some of Gilbert's other holdings give a clue as to the approximate whereabouts of Le Twystes " He also holds an acre of land in the field of Daddefield...it extends in length from the highway leading from the high church at Weryngton to Wolstone on the south as far as Weryngton heath on the north"

Most of his other holdings are around the area of Le Kyrkestrete(Church Street)which may have extended further then than it does today.

i have (somewhere :rolleyes:) a book on Cheshire murders, which features the "postboy" and from what I remember the Highwayman pub was built near to the scene of the murder. When I locate the book I'll post more details

• Upvote 1

Nice one Joe and thanks :D

(although I now have an urge to google Gilbert Rysseley)

Sounds daft but I've never wondered how or why the Highwayman Pub got it's name and even after this topic it still never occurred to me.

Can you hurry up and find that book now please :wink::D

Nice one Joe and thanks :D

(although I now have an urge to google Gilbert Rysseley)

Sounds daft but I've never wondered how or why the Highwayman Pub got it's name and even after this topic it still never occurred to me.

Can you hurry up and find that book now please :wink::D

Same here but because of the topic contents it's now understandable why The Highwayman.

:lol::lol: I feel stupid enough as it is without you having to rub it in Tracey :P:wink:

Re Bruche Holt, google says a 'holt' is a wood, grove or wooded hill. Not that it really helps sorry.

I bet.....

If Algy got his ancient maps out there would be an area of woodland somewhere around Bruche. Maybe where the Police Training Centre was. What was there before? :unsure:

Joe, it's amazing what you can find if you have the right spade & know where to dig ! Tracie ,would Bruche Brook be what is known as Stinking Brook that crosses Padgate Lane close to Delery Drive. That used to be the boundary between County Borough & Lancashire County Council administration. How obvious was the Highwayman ?