Warrington Murder 1851

algy

Good ending Algy and makes you think.

No doubt Bridget Lyons wished her husband had not spoken out to clear and spare her from the execution she was originally destined for. He had a much quicker and far less painful and drawn out end to life than she did.

That picture will haunt me tonight Algy, not because of Bridget's fate, but for the five innocent little kids all under the age of two who had been deported with their convict mothers and who lost their lives in transit on the same ship and were sent to the same watery grave in that way :cry:

Can someone slap me please before I start blubbering :oops:

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can imagine this thread as a film, the story of the Patrick, Bridget and Peggy interweaving with the modern day group of strangers slowly uncovering their story and ending with all the main protagonists dead (the historic protagonist, not the internet people :shock: )

My husband has suggested George Clooney to play him .....

I can imagine this thread as a film, the story of the Patrick, Bridget and Peggy interweaving with the modern day group of strangers slowly uncovering their story and ending with all the main protagonists dead (the historic protagonist, not the internet people :shock: )

My husband has suggested George Clooney to play him .....

Having read more newspaper reports today available on FMP and also the link Algy mentioned (ok so I came across them by accident and wasn't really looking, honest, I just searched on 'Warrington').

Patrick Lyons could not read or write (nor could his wife). He is described as being a stout young man, with a 'countenance open and free rather that repulsive or brutal'. He was of light complexion, slightly marked by smallpox and of average height (a measurement was given somewhere but I forgot to write that down). Another describes him roughly the same but as being slightly 'muscular'.

Sounds more like a Bryan Adams than a George Clooney to me Tracey but I’m happy to watch Clooney :D

In a way Patrick L sounded rather dim the more I've read (as probably were many in those days oops) especially in the fact that he always appeared to be totally ignorant as to the severity and ‘danger’ of his position and possible punishment, ie that of death by hanging, with the charges he was up against.

It was also noted that when he ran away he hadn’t actually taken the money that was in Peggy Fah(a)y's possession but that could have been because he freaked out and did a runner before she was actually dead or maybe he was scared of his wife and she had made him do it or had done it herself. The reports show that Peggy F had been thrown into the bunker after being bludgeoned/hacked but had more than likely still been alive at that point despite her horrific injuries.

Even just before his hanging Patrick apparently spoke of how kind everyone, including the prison staff and governors, had been towards him and he thanked them kindly and they too said how well behaved he had been. Probably realising his fate now his main focus seemed to just want a pardon for his wife, and yet at one time he said he was happy to die as long as his wife went beside him.

They had only been married about a year and she was old enough to be his mother.

Maybe (and just maybe) considering their age difference he had become involved with Bridget in the first place as more of a mother figure with him being so young and their relationship changed as he aged a little. Maybe she was the violent one in the relationship and he tried to protect her as she was all he had in life.

And so the film begins……

Algy.

So much for the END eh :lol:

Going back to the very first post on here where you kindly uploaded the press cuttings were/are you aware that along with the 3 full columns of the report you uploaded there are also another 1 1/2 columns that preceded those. I noticed that yours originally started mid sentence so I looked at the whole paper.

I have saved the parts of press report as one complete jpeg as it appeared in the actual paper if you haven't already got in and want to read the whole of it.

Too big to upload on here as you won't be able to read it without zooming in more but happy to email it to you and you can forward to Cleo if she want it, same goes for you Tracey if you are still interested.

Tomorrow will be an old newspaper and murder free free day I promise :lol:

Algy.

So much for the END eh :lol:

Going back to the very first post on here where you kindly uploaded the press cuttings were/are you aware that along with the 3 full columns of the report you uploaded there are also another 1 1/2 columns that preceded those. I noticed that yours originally started mid sentence so I looked at the whole paper.

I have saved the parts of press report as one complete jpeg as it appeared in the actual paper if you haven't already got in and want to read the whole of it.

Too big to upload on here as you won't be able to read it without zooming in more but happy to email it to you and you can forward to Cleo if she want it, same goes for you Tracey if you are still interested.

Tomorrow will be an old newspaper and murder free free day I promise :lol:

Please Dizz!.

I didn't know there were newspaper reports on FMP! That's another afternoon gone ....

My husband wants Clooney to play him not Patrick, he sees his character as a comedy cameo to give some light relief to all the murderin' going on.

:lol::lol: I like your hubby's thought process.

I didn't know there were so many old newspapers on there until yesterday either Tracey. Maybe they are new. I spent hours reading them last night as they are addictive :oops:

Damn shame warringtin library don't digitise all the old local ones they have so we can view them all from home too eh? Maybe we should ask them too :wink:

Funnily enough Dizz I mentioned it when I was in the library the other week as we were having problems with the quality of the microfilm. The librarian said she's heard no plans to digitise the Guardian, apparently all the old copies are stored in that salt mine storage place whose name I can't remember.