Naked Streets?

observer

Well we've had Rod's 20mph nonesense; now the latest "modern" idea in use in Coventry, is the "naked street". Basically, it strips the street (usually in urban areas) of all road markings, traffic lights etc, leaving a plain open space similar to a pedestrian only area; but still open to traffic. The theory is, that the onus for safety, is placed on every user of the road, to basically avoid each other - an example used being the lack of collisions on an ice rink. So - good or bad idea? :unsure:

QUOTE:

India registers highest number of road fatalities in the world!

India registers the most road fatalities in the world. As World Day of Remembrance for Road Traffic Victims is marked, experts call for stricter regulation.

There is one road death a minute on India's crowded roads

Experts predict that more than 150,000 Indians will die in traffic accidents before this year is out. Another three million are expected to be hospitalized.

India has the dubious distinction of registering the highest number of road fatalities in the world, despite the fact that its population is much smaller than in neighbouring China and there are more vehicles on US roads than in India.

Trucks, buses, cars and motorbikes vie for space on the country’s roads and highways, which are crammed with bicycles, rickshaws and even bullock drays and hand-drawn carts. Hawkers on pavements often force pedestrians to walk on the roads.

Moreover, many motorbike riders do not wear helmets and the use of seat belts is much less prevalent than in developed countries.

Pedestrians, cyclists and bikers account for around 39 percent of the fatalities. Over half of all road victims are adults, aged between 25 and 65.

Don't think the NHS could cope with those numbers!. :blink:

You have never seen as many cars with bumps and dents and broken lights as there are in Egypt. There is zero protocol on the roads and it's every man for himself.

You don't realise how lucky you are in the UK with regards to roads and traffic.

When I used to return to the Uk the one thing that struck me most was how calm and orderly the roads were. I would never ever drive a car in Egypt.

• 4 weeks later...

...........and the speed limit throughout Coventry City Centre is 20mph.

Rod

before spending £750,000 in Warrington Rod, the average speed on Warringtons Roads were about 1.5mph higher than they are now...... you may like to waste my council tax, but personally I could think of more desrving cases.

Plus, the idea of naked streets is that there are no road signs anyway, so instead of conning us into thinking there would be a set of road signs at each end of a 20 limit; instead of the hundreds that were probably needed.... the council dimwits wouldn't have had to bother with any as the whole concept of naked streets apparently "coerces" drivers into slowing down....

Well the Coventry scheme was part of their Olympic Legacy Project. It is also subject to special dispensation from the signage regulations that usually apply and is an experiment in conjunction with DfT.

Whereas the 20mph limits in Warrington are being done in the same way as in Portsmouth, Oxford, Cambridge, Liverpool, York, Brighton & Hove, Bristol, Bath & NE Somerset, Lancashire, Islington, Camden, Hackney, Waltham Forrest, Edinburgh and other places

Best regards

Rod

Well the Coventry scheme was part of their Olympic Legacy Project. It is also subject to special dispensation from the signage regulations that usually apply and is an experiment in conjunction with DfT.

Whereas the 20mph limits in Warrington are being done in the same way as in Portsmouth, Oxford, Cambridge, Liverpool, York, Brighton & Hove, Bristol, Bath & NE Somerset, Lancashire, Islington, Camden, Hackney, Waltham Forrest, Edinburgh and other places

Best regards

Rod

Oh yes.... the famous Coventry Olympics... remember them well!!

as for the other towns on your list Rod, did they mislead by adding main roads to their trials so that the signage costs would be "massaged" to show a lesser requirement and then magically removed after approval to show a huge number of additional signs were needed?

Or was that just Warrington?

Baz. Your "conspiracy theory", like so many of your posts, simply do not add up. I think you misunderstand the whole idea tha a 'pilot' usung an "experrimental" traffic order was always time limited and subject to change.

And Coventry, like Manchester was an "Olymipic" city due to hosting some of the football matches. Although I guess I can understand your wanting to forget about the Olympics and all those cycling medals. Even worse it appeared that most of the non-cycling medallists were wearing lycra as well. At least you now have 3 years before the Olympics comes round again.

Best regards

Strange how the pilot didn't involve a saving of money when the rollout finally happened; but that was always going to be the case I guess..... it would have got nowhere if the true costs had been disclosed at the start of the experiment!

As for the cyclingists; they were really good. Going round and round on their little track in such an orderly fashion.

Trouble was, as soon as you let them out on the big roads; all hell broke loose.... crashes galore.... and not one of them stopped at red lights or stayed in the cycle lanes during the road races.... just like real life!

Have you grown your Bradley side burns yet Rod? Would love to see them

Rod... it is an edited version of what the allies did to the nazi emblem on the Nuremburg stadium where Hitler held most of his rallies in the 1930's and 40's.... it is my hope and the hope of millions of other hacked off net European contributers in the UK, France and Germany that this will one day be replaced with the destruction of the EU and the failed Euro experiment....

on another note Rod, and despite your constant denial to my insistance that cyclists do not obey the laws of the road and regulary jump red lights, you may like to read the posts on the following forum thread.... you may be familiar with it, but it concerns the £22 million pound Cycling Superhighways that Boris Johnson introduced in London a few years ago.... it starts with quite a damning admission by one cyclingist!

http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/cs7-blue-cycle-route-london-the-police-are-watching-you.60491/

• Downvote 1