Doctors appointments

Bill

I’m not one for seeing the doctor with minor issues that generally go away on their own but just now I’m feeling that poorly that I tried to make an appointment today and got told the earliest appointment was for next Monday. It’s been this way for years, a constant two-day wait so why cant the bloody doctors put a weekends overtime in just for once in their life and solve the never ending problem.

When I worked in the electronics industry I noted the racks of circuit boards waiting for repair appeared to be a constant and not related to the production quantities. The explanation given by the head repair guy at the time was that because he was the only one able to do the repairs, a constant rack of repairs gave additional job security and ensured he could attract a higher salary.

I think there are strong parallels here and the general public are the ones that loose out all round. :x

Bill :)

• Upvote 1

I once rang the surgery for a next day appointment to see my doctor in the UK.

The receptionist apologised and said the doctor was fully booked but advised me to call again after 8am the next day to see if they could fit me in.

The next morning I started to ring the surgery at 8am and the phone was engaged every time till I finally got through at just after 8.10am. The receptionist told me that they were fully booked and the earliest appointment they could offer me was Wednesday morning of the following week, some 8 days later. Would I like her to book me in. A pause, for dramatic effect, then I told her I could be dead by then. She told me to hang on. She came back a couple of minutes later and told me if I was at the surgery for 1.30pm the next day, they would fit me in to see the doctor. :blink::huh:

Cleo

Yes they told me to try ringing at eight in the morning along with everyone else that might be dead after a five-day wait. See how poorly I am, I said two days but Wednesday to Monday is five days.

I've got a recurring ear infection that’s suddenly gone ballistic and it’s seriously affecting my balance and making me really nauseous. I've also got fifty billion voices all talking at the same time in my head so either I've been assimilated into the Borg collective or I've got tinnitus.

My doctors do have a saturday morning surgery, which surprised me. Not tried to get an appointment for ages as so far have been fairly healthy (will now probably come down with the dreaded lurgy in the next few days for tempting fate) so do not know what the situation is as regards getting one. Normally they contact me to go in to see the doctor or practice nurse for a review.

Do know that they only open the phone lines at half eight and think it is the same at Mrs Sids docs.

Does go a long way to explain why A & E get so many customers though.

I thought that if you rang first thing, and asked for an emergency appointment, you could get one.

That's the way it works (or supposed to) at 'The Forge' Stockton Heath.

I think a large problem today is that the population of local areas has increased to such a degree that there aren't sufficient medical staff to cope with patients, also whereas years ago folk would sort themselves out instead of dashing to the surgery with the most trivial ailments thus taking up valuable appointment for those really needing medical attention, and from what Bill has described he requires urgent treatment.

Well I’ve just rang and eventually got an appointment for this morning but I still think this procedure is completely wrong. Getting an appointment shouldn’t come down to who’s lucky enough or persistent enough to get through a telephone scrabble. Furthermore, a backlog is something that I’d expect when there’s an epidemic but for it to be constant and treated as the norm is unacceptable.

The loss of balance and nausea I can handle. Even the voices in my head telling me to go to the pub wouldn’t be too bad, if it wasn’t for the fact that they all expect me to buy them a pint. :P

• Upvote 1

Congratulations Bill. I hope the diagnosis is not a serious one and treatment will soon restore your equilibrium.

Even with the appointments system in place, there have been occasions when I had a firm appointment I would arrive at the surgery about 10 - 15 minutes ahead of my appointment time, beleiving I would soon be in and out again. Yeah right. There have been times I have still been sat there anything upto an hour and a half still after my appointment time waiting to see my doctor. What's more there were occasions when I noticed some patients who arrived some considerable time after my appointment time being called to go and see the same doctor I am waiting to see. I went to the reception desk and asked if they have forgotten I am there. The receptionist would look aat her appointments list then tell me there is something like another two or three before me then it will be my turn. Appointments? I've s**t them!

I went to the reception desk and asked if they have forgotten I am there. The receptionist would look aat her appointments list then tell me there is something like another two or three before me then it will be my turn. Appointments? I've s**t them!

Well why didn't you s**t one for Bill, he'd have been sorted by now!. :wink::D :grin:

Bill,

Have you tried Garven place on Sankey Street. If it is urgent, then they are usually good with dealing with emergencies. There are also a range of NHS walk-in clinics if you can get there.

If it is an emergency, most GPs will see you. My surgery has an out of hours 'workers clinic' for people who can't get time off work. They have also introduced 'walk-in' mornings for those who can't get appointments at other times or those who need to be seen on the day.

Oh please, don't ice the cake with the ear wax! :blink::lol::lol: :lol

You can return home from waiting in those surgery waiting rooms feeling worse than you did when you entered. In my doctor's waiting room they always seemed to have the central heating up high. Ideal breeding ground for germs being breathed out by every sick person visiting :unsure: