Old photos

mbellers

I have loved the old photos that have been posted on here over the past few months - thanks Algy!

Does anyone have photos of a house on the corner of Fairfield Road & Ackers Road? Think it is called Rock Villas & William Beamont once lived there.

On this photo (from 1928) you can see the house just on the right near the tennis courts.

post-5565-0-49873800-1350559473_thumb.jpg

I have loved the old photos that have been posted on here over the past few months - thanks Algy!

Does anyone have photos of a house on the corner of Fairfield Road & Ackers Road? Think it is called Rock Villas & William Beamont once lived there.

On this photo (from 1928) you can see the house just on the right near the tennis courts.

post-5565-0-49873800-1350559473_thumb.jpg

mbellers, I have searched through all my old photos without success, I have plenty of the cantilever at the time of the building of the canal but unfortunately none showing Rock Villas, sorry!.

algy.

Glad you posted a reminder about the website Mbellers as I'd forgotten all about it.

Is this the pic you mean? If so I couldn't get my bearings either after just looking and the Mersey seems to have once branched off in the direction of where the road now passes Mr Smiths. I never knew it did that.

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/epw005004

Thanks Dizzy

Thats the pic - I can't work out where Wilson Patten St. is? I guess it is in amongst the buildings, the road that leads off on the bottom right hand corner. Then perhaps the Church on Bold St. is in the foreground (about the only thing I recognise!).

I have edited this photo as on the original I had indicated the street joining Wilson Patten Street as Museum Street, now renamed Bold Street (Correctly).

When this photo was taken Wilson Patten Street did not go as far as Bridge Foot and stopped at the junction with Museum Street. What you thought was the Mersey branching off was in fact the road leading to the old Arpley railway station, if you look carefully the Crimea War Cannons are there in the middle of the road.

EPW005004.jpg

Thanks Algy, your 'map' is great and it makes sense to me now :D

I looked at some old maps earlier and I was still confused, I thought the little rectangle shown on mbellers pic was a boat :oops:

Even when I saw the words 'russian guns' on an old map my little brain cell thought 'why were there guns in the middle of a waterway in those days'... not good I know.

Sometimes I really do worry about myself :lol:

Now all you have to do is find a pic of 'Rock Villas'. It was on the junction of 'Common Lane' and 'Ackers Lane' at one time if that helps :wink:

Thanks Algy, your 'map' is great and it makes sense to me now :D

I looked at some old maps earlier and I was still confused, I thought the little rectangle shown on mbellers pic was a boat :oops:

Even when I saw the words 'russian guns' on an old map my little brain cell thought 'why were there guns in the middle of a waterway in those days'... not good I know.

Sometimes I really do worry about myself :lol:

Now all you have to do is find a pic of 'Rock Villas'. It was on the junction of 'Common Lane' and 'Ackers Lane' at one time if that helps :wink:

Not very often I admit defeat but I have searched and used every avenue without success, so over to you Duckie!. :blink:

I know it's not an avenue, before Wolfie shows up. :rolleyes:

Thanks Algy

The labelled map is great - all clear now.

Dizzy, I like you 1st thought it was the river going in front of Arpley Station!

I will keep looking for something about Rock Villas - I can only work out that they were on an 1875 map, then an extract that William Beamont once lived there - it is an interesting building.

Sorry for the length of this post…

Rock Villas is shown and named on the 1875, 1896, 1899, 1908, 1910 and 1928 old maps. The outline of what I presume to be the same building as it’s the same shape can be seen on the 1954, 1966, 1987 and 1993 maps but it is NOT named. Is Rock Villa still there now?

I can't find any photo's of it anywhere so far either. I thought there would be some seeing as though William Beamont had lived there but it seems he didn’t live there for very long.

He’s shown on the 1861 census as living in one of the two houses that made up Rock Villa. Each record shows two separate families living there separated by // (which means 2 separate houses rather than two families living in the same house).

He seems to have moved there after the death of his first wife Ann Gaskell. She died on 1 Dec 1859, they had lived in Bewsey Street on the 1841 and 1851 census.

Anyway, he then remarried and had moved to Orford Hall by 1871 with his new wife Letitia Naegeli. They married on 30 April 1963.

In 1861 the two families occupying the two Rock Villa homes were

James Tinsley (head) age 30, tanner

Martha E Tinsley (wife)

Emiline? M Tinsley (daughter) age 1

Ellen Bradshaw (servant) age 25, cook

Mary A Rowson (servant) age 20, housemaid

Elizabeth Clare (servant) age 22, nurse

William Beamont (transcribed Deamont) (head), widow, age 63, attourney of law

Elizabeth Newton (servant), age 50, house servant

Fanny Newton (servant) age 21, house servant

Elizabeth Dolton (servant) age 20, house servant

In 1871 the two families occupying the two Rock Villa homes were

George Dakin (head) age 33, grocer maltster

Elizabeth Dakin (sister) age 28, no occupation

Henry K Dakin (brother) age 26, warehouseman

Alfred F (or T) Dakin (brother) age 24, tanner

Mary J Haynes (servant) age 26, housemaid

Mary Booth (servant) age 23, cook

John Dun (transcribed wrong as deon) (head) a 37, general manager ‘warrington ?Palis Bantling? Co

Eliza Dunn (wife) age 37

Jane Morrison, (mother in law) age 75

Finlay Dun (son) age 8

John A Dun (son) age 7

Jane H Dun (daughter) age 6

Eliza M Dun (daughter) age 2

Robert H Dun (son) age 8 months

Elen Hobson (servant)

Sara Hobson (servant)

Martha ?Fictor? (servant?)

And someone who’s name I cant read (servant?)

As for the tennis courts. I had a quick look and they are shown on an 1896 map as 'Pavilion Tennis Ground' and are noted on maps up to 1928.

The maps I looked at after that are a bit hard to read but I 'think' the tennis courts may be still there on the 1964 map as it looks a bit like the word 'tennis' but it might be that and my eyes may be just thinking it says that.

Not that any of that probably helps you of course but it kept me quiet for a bit and I always tend to get sidetracked and go over the top when I start looking for things as Algy and others will probably confirm.

Thanks Dizzy

Some great information there - all really interesting! Rock Villas are still there - now made into 3 houses. I believe one side used to be a Nursing Home a few years ago (Westwood). I will keep looking for an old photo & post it on here if I find anything of interest.