Sankey junction alterations

Redstar

I've just read today that there was a drop-in session held at the Peace Centre on Tuesday to discuss improvements to the Sankey Way junctions at Cromwell Ave and the Pink Eye roundabout.

1. Was this advertised anywhere?

2. Why was The Midweek Guardian reporting it today (Wed)quoting Cllr Dirir asking for people to attend when the Midweek is never delivered before Wednesday?

3. What's the point of me listing the above two questions when we know that, going by previous c**k-ups:

the traffic lights at Cromwell Ave will be changed to a roundabout

the roundabout at Sankey Green will be changed to traffic lights :blink:

There is nothing wrong with the junction of Sankey Way and Cromwell Avenue. It was altered a few years ago to allow a double queue for traffic turning right up Cromwell Avenue and it is very rare that the queue extends past the length of the sliproad.

The stupid bus lane we all know about; but I really am bothered that they will mess up the junction and cause even longer early morning tailbacks up Cromwell Avenue going into Town

Hi Redstar and welcome to the forum :D

Ther drop in session was reported on warrington-worldwide's new page on 13 October.

see here :- http://www.warrington-worldwide.co.uk/articles/14222/1/Drivers-views-sought-on-road-design/Page1.html

I actually posted the following comment under the article on the day it was published which read -

Re the proposed redesign of the two roads in the article would it be possible for the council to upload some details of the 'possible' changes onto their website for those who maybe can't attend that day but may be interested/affected and have views either because they travel that way or have businesses near there etc... please and thank you. It might stop people complaining after any changes are implemented too as the info would have been freely available for all to see and comment on should they feel a need to ......Appologies if they are already available online but I couldn't find them.

A reply to that of "good comment" was subsequently posted by a jregan (Is that a councillor :oops: ) and I had hoped that the council may act upon the suggestion and put the info online for reasons given.

Having just searched for the news item for you I notice that there has since been another reply posted by WBCouncil which I hadn't seen which says:-

Thanks for your comment. We don’t have any plans to put onto the website at the present time. The purpose of the drop in event is to determine the issues that current users experience when travelling through these junctions. This is the first stage in our consultation process and any feedback that we receive will be used to determine proposed designs which will then be consulted on. If you have any issues you would like us to know you can email them to John Nichol LSTF Programme Manager at jnichol@warrington.gov.uk

Not sure if I fully understand their reasoning there or agree with them doing it in that way as the council/highways dept must have some idea of what they are proposing or what 'they' perceive to be issues there or they wouldn't be considering making any changes would they?

If you ask me in light of the recent 'mess' up and lack of initial consultation or information regarding the Bridge Foot fiasco you would have thought they would have made their views and possible reasons changes more open as well as making it easier for people to comment with knowing what on earth they were on about.

If they want feedback well here’s my little bitt based purely on my own personal experiences of the Pink Eye roundabout.....

.... "Leave it as it as I for one have never ever had any problems there (other than when there is a backup of traffic from Bridge Foot etc of course) and I can’t think of any changes there which would be of any particular benefit."

Thanks for the warm welcome, Dizzy,

I promise to start reading this website news from now on as it's obviously more up to date than the one that's delivered weekly.

Concerning the road alterations, I think everyone is of the same opinion that if it's not broke then don't fix it but when you've got £4.5m burning a hole in your pocket......

Re this £4.5 million you mention Redstar where's it from and what's it actually supposed to be for (ie how can it be used or spent?)

Presumably there are 'rules' attached to the use of the funding if it has come from elsewhere.

Did anyone on here manage to go the the consultation evening by the way and what was said if you did.

The council generally keep an eye on what gets posted both here and on Guardian pages the so they usually know exactly what people are thinking. But you're on a hiding to nothing though because even if all the regulars here were to email, it'd still only be a handful of complaints and that would be claimed to be the sum total of opposition.

In my experience, they tend to do what they want to do and being political creatures they try to discredit any opposition and in this case that will be you and your solitary email. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Bill :)

I beg to differ about Sankey Way. I have on many occasions, been cut up by useless incompetent drivers in the wrong lane at the roundabout, just signalling sometimes that they were in the wrong lane and expecting everyone to give way to them. What is needed is a three lane road into town from the traffic lights, a bloody big lane sign on the overhead bridge showing Hospital is left lane, the shambles at frogall lane and midland way is centre lane and outside lane is rail station, town hall and old Liverpool road.

The bus lane on Cromwell avenue should be scrapped too.

Short of putting 3 foot walls between the lanes there is no way to get away from the problem of people in the wrong lane pushing in. As it stands there doesn't appear to be a problem with the Crossfields roundabout. I do agree about the unused bus lane on Cromwell avenue. :wink:

you have to laugh at the bus lanes on Cromwell avenue the buses dont even use them after picking up at st Gregory’s

The left turn from Cromwell Ave into Sankey Way is too sharp for the buses to get round, so they have to use the 2nd lane; maybe the only improvement would be to make the corner less angular then the buses can stay in their own lane.

Whal

I use the approach to the roundabout every day and never seem to have any problems with cars in the wrong lane cutting me up. I think you need to exercise a bit more patience and make allowances for visitors that don't know the layout of the roads as well as yourself.

Whal

I use the approach to the roundabout every day and never seem to have any problems with cars in the wrong lane cutting me up. I think you need to exercise a bit more patience and make allowances for visitors that don't know the layout of the roads as well as yourself.

I'm with you on this William ! I think that some drivers need too much information to get from A to B and also can't deal with merging traffic. The Sankey Way/Cromwell Avenue junction turning right in to Cromwell is a good example of how drivers get on with merging two lanes in to one without the assistance of any art work from the nutters in the Traffic Dept. I've never experienced conflict there with merging traffic which seems always to be quite seamless. I dare say that will change when J Nichols gets over his consultation.

The very fact that it is under observation is a worry, and although , as you point out, only a few scribes on here don't add up to much, lots of viewers read the forum and they should be encouraged to email Mr Nichols.

IF IT'S NOT BROKEN, DON'T FIX IT !

Well looking at todays front page there are road works starting on wilderspool causeway at the junction of loushers lane.

So winwick road traffic held up, wilderspool causeway traffic held up,Knutsford road traffic held up

That leave sankey way,chester road and manchester road as the only roads in and out of warrington that are "free" flowing, Strange how it always seems to happen around this time of year, the run up to christmas :angry:

• 4 months later...

The Hi-Viz/clip board  gang were out  looking at the Cromwell/Sankey Way junction this afternoon. So it looks like the spend it or loseit time of year is here again. They were also further up Cromwell at the red footbridge near Asda so it looks as if they intend to press ahead with building cycleways to further the aims of the sustainable travel component in the WBC LTP.

So far there is nothing published about the Cromwell/Sankey Way junction ,however there is one for a 3 metre cycle way that passes from Cromwell, at the red footbridge, through the Green way to Dallim. The object within the sustainable travel plan is to join Birchwood with Lingley Mere. You may want to find that one on the fb Save Sankey Valley site.