21st Dec 2012 -

observer

Seems the Mayans have predicted the world will end this year - pity they couldn't predict their own demise. However, having watched a prog about it, it seems the stone carving on which the prediction is based, the cliphs only show that some kind of party or ceremony will occure (the Queen's Jubilee?!), but the rest of the text has been eroded. :unsure:

The world has been ending for decades. I remember as a child reports that the world was about to end.

Doomed....! DOOOOMED....! You're all doomed I tell you...! :lol::lol::lol:

A post from the Flat earth Society Forum:-

We should all get together and celebrate the failed end of the world this New Year's Eve with an official Flat Earth Society 2012 Meeting and Gathering. I'll bring the Weed.

If it's not too far, I could bring some cases of beer, other cheap booze, a guitar, firearms for shooting into the air or into the ground (situation and local laws permitting) tannerite, a quad, a kayak, a snowboard, rope, and an HD camera to capture it all.

Might be worth going along Florence, someone else said they would bring 'Mountain Dew (*with real sugar) and Doritos. :wink::D :grin: :D

*Whatever that means. :unsure:

It’s all a load of nonsense and scaremongering and the word is not going to end on the 21st (unless some radical living human beings decided to try to make it happen of course)

21 Dec 2012 would be/is a huge celebration to the Mayans (hence the celebration/party indication Obs) as it’s the date that the 'Mesoamerican Long Count calendar' will/would have completed a whole cycle and it will then will start a new 14th 'baktun' hence a party I guess.

We’re in the 13th baktun cycle now so if the world didn’t end on each previous new cycle then there is no reason to believe it will end on the next one this year.

A baktun (for anyone who is remotely interested) is apparently 20 'katun' cycles of the Maya Long Count Calendar. It contains 144,000 days, equal to 394.26 tropical years (solar years). You can google katun's yourself :lol:

Well they can keep the mountain dew because I don't drink and they can keep the doritos because I don't like them - rather like eating peices of cardboard with flavoured salts sprinkled over them. If they bring guns it's a pound to a fingerful of snot that someone will be shot. :unsure::huh::P

Know what Florence, you sometimes have a wonderful poetic way with words!. :lol: :lol: :lol:

According to the prog: the Mayans calculted exactly the length of a year, they had a numbering system including the notion of zero, in 1,000BC. :shock: Was that a google Diz?! :wink: The transfer from one baktun to another, may indicate some form of profound change; one would need to locate the times of the other baktun transfers to get an idea if it is the case. :unsure:

Of course it was a 'google' Obs as you can't expect me to know something about everything without ocassionaly looking or checking on the latest.... just as I wouldn't expect you to know things without you watching the telly :lol:

Of course I cross matched my findings across other search engines to make sure google wasn't having me on and leading me into a false sense of security.

Interesting stuff though and if the world doesn't end on the 21st everyone is invited to my new years eve party and I will advertise it online and on facebook..... at your house Obs :lol:

Forgot to mention that WireWarrior97 is arranging an easter egg hunt over the full weekend of 6-9th of April 2013 at the very same location :lol:

It will be ok WW97 as seems the solar maximum is now said to be peaking in May 2013 (albeit fairly weak with a below-average number of sunspots).

Hurrah we at leat get one more Xmas and Easter :wink: