Lymm Dam Orton Effect

P J

Below is an image I made ages ago of an Autumnal pathway at Lymm Dam. It was my first effort at using the Orton effect. It isn't everyone's cup of tea and if you look at it for more than a minute your eyes will bleed. That said it does have a dream like quality and overall I really quite like it.

I think it can safely be described as photographic Marmite.

What do you think??

LymmDamOrtonExample-.jpg

To me the first photo of the path has an almost threatening effect whereas the second photo of the canal has more of a calming influence, the last one with the edges blurred gives an impression of movement, although I have not come across the 'Orton effect' before I can see how it can alter the mood of a picture.

I love that second picture. It's almost entirely green and so peaceful and tranquil. But then, green is a calming colour. A snippet of advice to anyone feeling agitated or nervous, troubled, wear something green or maybe pin a piece of green material or ribbon inside your clothing, close to the heart. It will have a calming affect. :wink::D

I love that second picture. It's almost entirely green and so peaceful and tranquil. But then, green is a calming colour. A snippet of advice to anyone feeling agitated or nervous, troubled, wear something green or maybe pin a piece of green material or ribbon inside your clothing, close to the heart. It will have a calming affect. :wink::D

Good tip Florence!, we should get Dizz to request all posts to be typed in 'green' from now on', see if it has a calming effect on the resident 'reprobates'. :wink::D :grin:

incidentally is that a 'come on' wink or have you got something in your eye. :unsure::wink::D

Down Boy...! Was something in my eye. :lol::lol::lol:

Incidently Algy, is that hammer strong enough to strike a horseshoe? Looks a bit lightweight to me, more suitable for knocking in panel pins. :unsure::wink:

Very observant Cleo and your quite correct. but was the only descent anvil/blacksmith animated GIF I could find, this is what a general smiths hammer should look like:

any of these would do the job although a 21/5lb ball pein hammer was often used, depending on the work in hand, the shafts were very often shortened to suit the individual. The wedge shaped end opposite the face is called the fuller end of the hammer.

00938262000-4.jpg

images.jpg

index.jpg

Now my eyes have stopped bleeding I've braved this topic again (only kidding PJ).

I played with 'orton' type effect last week thanks to PJ's link but looking back I think I definately over did the effect on some. If you don't try you don't learn though eh :lol:

Too much PJ ?

sleepyducksorton.jpg

housegrappenhallcopy.jpg

duckorton.jpg

boatscene.jpg

boatmarinabw.jpg

I think you have done a cracking job of these Dizzy, I particularly like the second and fourth images. It seems that this effect works better with some images than others and that the amount of effect is also important to the final outcome. Well done.