SCOOP FOR WW - MSC Water Level Lowered.

algy

SCOOP FOR WW - MSC Water Level Lowered.

The water level in the MSC has been reduced from Irlam Locks to match the level at Eastham to enable sluice gate repairs to be carried out, this is the first time I have ever known this to happen and perhaps may not happen again for many years. I walked down and took these photos.

P1010101.jpg

P1010100.jpg

P1010102.jpg

P1010103.jpg

P1010106.jpg

You can just make out a steel frame with lifting lugs suspended by a gantry crane, either ready to be lowered or lifted.

P1010104.jpg

One of the maintenance crew on the job, with the gantry crane above and a large mobile crane standing by.

P1010105.jpg

• Upvote 2

Great pics Algy and wow that's low. I looked at the MSC near us after reading your post and it too is a little lower than but only about a foot lower than normal.

I'm going to sound really stupid now... but how do they lower the water level that much and what happens when boats go through the locks or down the canal... or has water traffic been stopped while they do the repairs. :oops:

Also, why is there a cross on the wall ?

Great pics Algy and wow that's low. I looked at the MSC near us after reading your post and it too is a little lower than but only about a foot lower than normal.

I'm going to sound really stupid now... but how do they lower the water level that much and what happens when boats go through the locks or down the canal... or has water traffic been stopped while they do the repairs. :oops:

Also, why is there a cross on the wall ?

No Dizz you don't sound stupid, they are perfectly sensible questions that I shall attempt to answer.

Let's start with your last question first - That is not a cross on the wall, if you enlarge the photo you will see that they are an infill of white bricks between the sandstone blocks.

They lower the level by closing the lock gates and sluice gates at Irlam and open the side sluice gates at Latchford which has the effect of dropping the level in that section to about the same level that passes your house, all traffic up the canal will have stopped until the repairs are complete and the Irlam to Latchford section has had it's working level restored, don't forget that the river Mersey will still flow into the section that has had it's level dropped so the sluice gates at Latchford weir will have to be opened to allow that river water to flow, I'm not absolutely certain how they handle the tide situation other than if they get a backup of river water this can be dumped into the river at Weston Point (Runcorn) obviously as long as the tide is not too high.

Dizz this is only my explanation and someone more knowledgeable may come on and shoot me down!.

Thanks Algy and I think I understand now... errm but why would they have had to infill the sandstone blocks with white bricks? Is that because of errosion and a past repair?

If so it's a bit weird that is in the distinctive shape of a cross and why white bricks anyway rather than something darker or perhaps to paint them black?

Just me an my mind working overtime as locks freak me out anyway without needing to see some sort of god like message or warning on them too :oops: :lol

Thanks Algy and I think I understand now... errm but why would they have had to infill the sandstone blocks with white bricks? Is that because of errosion and a past repair?

If so it's a bit weird that is in the distinctive shape of a cross and why white bricks anyway rather than something darker or perhaps to paint them black?

Just me an my mind working overtime as locks freak me out anyway without needing to see some sort of god like message or warning on them too :oops: :lol

Not a cross Dizz, a vertical double sided castellation!.

When I first saw the front page link to this post I had a little chuckle as it read "scoop for ww - msc water level lowered by algy" and I wondered what the little tinker had been up to now. :mrgreen:

As for the "cross/castellation/white bricks" maybe it is something like a fill level indicator for that section of canal. each division being equivalent to so many hundreds of gallons.

Another possibility is that it may have been where they put the scaffolding through when they were building it and then when it was removed they filled in with white brick.

Then again it may have been deliberate to get people in the future wondering what the strange markings were for.dry.gif

Ha ha don't try to be clever Algy :wink:

Just look at your original uploaded pics and take the first 'image' your eyes see... no zooming in or owt like outlining.... it was a cross I tell you :lol::P

Yer' not a vampire frightened of crosses are you Dizz. The brick infill is just a cheaper way rather than cutting sandstone blocks by a stonemason, use the sandstone as the load bearing pillars then brick up between and backfill with rubble, job done, easy peasy!. :D

By the way!, when the canal was being built the MSC had a brick and tile producing factory making high quality building materials for use in the building of locks and retaining walls, this was on the south bank between Thelwall and Statham.

Peter, were the sluice gates open to the left of the weir?. :unsure:

Sid, not guilty your honour, I never let the water out honest! :wink:

I just read the other online news (not that I do that often as it always takes 3 attempts to close the damn thing down and stop it reopening)......

...but apparently large sections of of the river bank/paths near the Mersey at Woolston fell away on Friday due to subsidance after the mersey almost ran dry there. Good job no-one was walking along it at the time eh :unsure:

Some bits of people's gardens apparently fell into the mersey too.

They are saying the water loss 'could be down to a fault weir at Latchford' and that nearby canal water levels were also affected and dropped.

I just read the other online news (not that I do that often as it always takes 3 attempts to close the damn thing down and stop it reopening)......

...but apparently large sections of of the river bank/paths near the Mersey at Woolston fell away on Friday due to subsidance after the mersey almost ran dry there. Good job no-one was walking along it at the time eh :unsure:

Some bits of people's gardens apparently fell into the mersey too.

They are saying the water loss 'could be down to a fault weir at Latchford' and that nearby canal water levels were also affected and dropped.

Knowing 'Peel' they have probably not informed anyone that they are carrying out work at Latchford Locks! :unsure:

Peels always seems to be able to do whatever they like these days Algy :wink:

Not good if that's what caused the problems on the mersey. Infact who owns the River Mersey and it's banks and who has to pay for repairs any idea ?

This site explains the answer to your question Dizz.

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/floods/31626.aspx