Former pub on Dallam Lane

Latchford Locks

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Brook

Algy,  I like that pic more than the one I took, it shows a bit more of Brook place, and the chimneys. In my defence I didn't have an SLR then ! 

The Brook was one of my early underage occasional drinking places about 5 years after this pic was taken,  don't remember any of the BGS teachers ever using it so it was quite safe (unlike Cheshire Cheese) . Do any of the ex Brook regulars remember having to open one of the sash windows (the one on the extreme left with the vent axia fan ?) to make room for the cue when taking certain shots on the pool table ?  Ah happy days.

On a separate note,  I would be most grateful if someone could tell me how to post pictures so they appear full size on the post,   rather than thumbnails.

Regards,

Graz

Great picture.

I remember like yesterday..thanks  ,I never went in the bar but always in the tiny back room that had just two tables a pinball machine and jukebox a true magnet for all the young lads in the area.

• 7 years later...
On 9/21/2012 at 5:58 PM, Cleopatra said:

A Greenhalls pub next to Tetley's Brewery? That must be the height of cheek! Or measure of confidence! :unsure::lol:

It was a common thing back then .. Blue Bell next to The Central.. The Royal Oak next to Seven Stars.. The Vine next to The Cattlemarket.. Lower Angel next to Pelican ..And The Victoria Vaults had one to it's right hand side roughly where todays job centre is but I'm blowed if I remember it's name.(Damn that's going to bug me now🤥)

3 hours ago, Evil Sid said:

The moulders arms possibly?

I think that the little street that led into the multi story was moulder street or lane.

No that doesn't ring a bell .

I think there was a clog making shop next door to it.

And opposite was a weigh bridge, public toilets and bus stops for Lancashire United and Leigh Corporation.

I remember all that but not the blinkin pubs name 🤪

The showcase site for the creative work of WD, GS, and DP Cooper ...The World's Best Photos of ptc114c - Flickr Hive Mind

20 hours ago, Latchford Locks said:

It was a common thing back then .. Blue Bell next to The Central.. The Royal Oak next to Seven Stars.. The Vine next to The Cattlemarket.. Lower Angel next to Pelican ..And The Victoria Vaults had one to it's right hand side roughly where todays job centre is but I'm blowed if I remember it's name.(Damn that's going to bug me now🤥)

Where was the Victoria Vaults, Latch ? Are we talking along Mersey St. ?

found a site that list quite a lot of the warrington pubs.

Adelphi vaults. 1905

Leigh arms. 1895

Mersey. 1905

Moulders arms. 1871

Victoria vaults. 1918

All these are listed as mersey street. The date refers to the earliest reference that the page has for that pub.

for a list of the rest.

http://www.allthingswarrington.net/Pubs/towncentre.php#.XoNJJ2B7nmg

Hope that jogs a few memory cells for you.

2 hours ago, Davy51 said:

Where was the Victoria Vaults, Latch ? Are we talking along Mersey St. ?

It was half way along Mersey Street about where DW Fitness is now.It was a couple of terraced houses knocked in one building.We always went into a juke box room at the back of the building.it's about 50 years since I was last in so the exact layout is a bit sketchy.

2 hours ago, Evil Sid said:

found a site that list quite a lot of the warrington pubs.

Adelphi vaults. 1905

Leigh arms. 1895

Mersey. 1905

Moulders arms. 1871

Victoria vaults. 1918

All these are listed as mersey street. The date refers to the earliest reference that the page has for that pub.

for a list of the rest.

http://www.allthingswarrington.net/Pubs/towncentre.php#.XoNJJ2B7nmg

Hope that jogs a few memory cells for you.

The pub I was trying to remember is...... Ta Daaaaa

The Leigh Arms !!!! 

Cheers Sid 👍