Former pub on Dallam Lane

Latchford Locks

Algy and Jean,

Thankyou for the warm welcome !   I didn't take that many photographs as a kid, I wish I'd taken many more but times were hard and  I had to save up meagre pocket money for each roll of Ilford FP4  (24 exposure of course, used to buy it from Hill Smiths chemist near Rex Jones's bike shop ). I'm really regretting it now as so much of what I remember of the old town has been flattened - I'm not anti-redevelopment but I think those in planning could have been more sympathetic in the past. 

Anyway,  back on thread, somebody mentioned the British Tar and amazingly enough I do have a picture. Along with the others it was taken in the early 1970's   I seem to remember this pub was on Winwick road,  somewhere near where Tesco and the  indoor climbing ex-church is now. I have downsized the picture to post it, but  if you look at the original image and zoom in at the licensee's name above the door with a bit of squinting I can make out his name as "Alan Leigh".

Best Regards,

Graz

post-8330-0-37239000-1360523266_thumb.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Algy and Jean,

Thankyou for the warm welcome !   I didn't take that many photographs as a kid, I wish I'd taken many more but times were hard and  I had to save up meagre pocket money for each roll of Ilford FP4  (24 exposure of course, used to buy it from Hill Smiths chemist near Rex Jones's bike shop ). I'm really regretting it now as so much of what I remember of the old town has been flattened - I'm not anti-redevelopment but I think those in planning could have been more sympathetic in the past. 

Anyway,  back on thread, somebody mentioned the British Tar and amazingly enough I do have a picture. Along with the others it was taken in the early 1970's   I seem to remember this pub was on Winwick road,  somewhere near where Tesco and the  indoor climbing ex-church is now. I have downsized the picture to post it, but  if you look at the original image and zoom in at the licensee's name above the door with a bit of squinting I can make out his name as "Alan Leigh".

Best Regards,

Graz

That's not the same car (Vauxhall  ?) in both photos is it ?

Welcome to the forum Graz and great photo's. 

Nowt wrong with Viva's... I had a silver one with a black vinyl roof.  I think that was supposed to make it look more trendy...  it wasn't :lol:

Re your British Tar photo.  Are the large buildings behind the pub the old Tetley Brewery ? 

Hello Dizzy,

I think you may be right.  The bit of the brewery that sticks in my mind was further up the road, a glass fronted building opposite Bill Pope's motorcycle shop, but the grounds of the  brewery were much bigger than that.   I certainly remember seeing impossibly high mountains of stacked aluminium kegs from  (I think) Dallam lane,  but sadly, those views weren't in my photographic brief so I never got the shots ! 

Regards,

Graz

I always remember the Tetleys site as being white buildings.  I just googled and found this image of Tetley's and in the background is the same tall building with the little 'box' on the top which matches the taller building on the top left of your picture.

http://www.mywarrington.me.uk/tetley_walker_brewery_950809.jpg

Credit and copyright  to the 'Mywarrington' website.. I guess a direct link is fine though :) 

Yes  Dizzy

That view looks familiar , my minds eye had the view of  the Tetley's brewery  building (from Bill Pope's shop viewpoint) as being more see through, just goes to show how you need pics to augment the fading grey cells !  Maybe it was youthfull imagination.   The link below shows the site cleared prior to Tesco construction.

Regards,

Graz

http://www.imagesofengland.org.uk/details/default.aspx?id=58872

Hello,

I'm new to this forum so please be gentle ! Many years ago I got my first camera and  dad thought it would be a good idea to photograph pubs in warrington, so off I went. My photography was well and truly rubbish, but I had lots of fun developing film and printing in the darkroom kitchen.  I really don't remember taking this one,  but is this the pub you remember ?

Regards,

Graz 

YES...

At long last.... I always knew someone out there would come good in the end !

And I am not losing my marbles there was a flat roof :P

Thanks Graz.

Yep as a former regular of the Vulcan I can confirm it is the same - it did close for a while and then was re - opened for bikers as we had been driven out of just about every other pub in Warrington. It was me on another thread who asked about the British Tar and am very pleased to see the photo. You should consider yourself a pioneer as so few of these buildings got photographed especially the more obscure ones - how about the Railway in Milner Street which was Nat Silcocks last pub or the Prince of Wales off Manchester Road where Bobby Wanbon was once Landlord ? I am sure I could think of many more if I sat down and thought about it. Thanks

Peridot

The Brook

Algy,  I like that pic more than the one I took, it shows a bit more of Brook place, and the chimneys. In my defence I didn't have an SLR then ! 

The Brook was one of my early underage occasional drinking places about 5 years after this pic was taken,  don't remember any of the BGS teachers ever using it so it was quite safe (unlike Cheshire Cheese) . Do any of the ex Brook regulars remember having to open one of the sash windows (the one on the extreme left with the vent axia fan ?) to make room for the cue when taking certain shots on the pool table ?  Ah happy days.

On a separate note,  I would be most grateful if someone could tell me how to post pictures so they appear full size on the post,   rather than thumbnails.

Regards,

Graz

post-8330-0-22389600-1360792646_thumb.jpg

On a separate note,  I would be most grateful if someone could tell me how to post pictures so they appear full size on the post,   rather than thumbnails.

Regards,

Graz

..... I hope for your sake that you aren't using internet explorer 8  8)   Do you have a photobucket (or similar) account ? 

See here  (but read from new post number 16 from yesterday as it's an old topic and things have change from how we used to be able to do it on here)

http://forum.warrington-worldwide.co.uk/index.php?/topic/7872-uploading-from-the-bucket/

and maybe rather than take this topic off on a tangent you/we should continue the 'photo' question on that other topic if you are still struggling so that we don't get told off...   :lol: :wink:  

I'm showing my ignorance (or bad memory) again and I'm sure it's already been said but where exactly was the Brook Inn in latchford :oops:  

Hello Dizzy,

Brook Place still exist on the map, but looks nothing like its former self. Its on the North side at the West end of the one way system which goes  round the Cheshire Cheese up to what used to be Richard Faircloughs school  (if you get what I mean) It will make sense if my cut and paste map below works, the Brook was on the corner of Brook place/Knutsford Rd 

Thanks for the Picture posting link, I will do my research. After the misery that was Windows Vista I went to a Mac and never would go back !    

Regards,

Graz

Great pics of the Brook thanks. I do remember the pokiness of the rooms. I used to collect an insurance round in Latchford and was also engaged to a girl who lived there so the Brook was a regular stop. I cannot remember whether the Landlord was badly crippled with arthritis or whether that was the Oddfellows (Barrel) in Earlestown. I would also often have something to eat at lunchtime in the British Tar , hence my interest.

I think the Brook was demolished towards the end of the 1970s.

Peridot