Former pub on Dallam Lane

Latchford Locks

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was it the British Tar in, i think, Owen St..There also used to be Cunningham's Brewery close to it & Freddy's motorbike MOT garage.

No The Tar was opposite the Co-op Hall. Nice and handy for us to pay for our admittance to the dance then get our hands rubber stamped for our pass out and over to The Tar for a few pints of mild to summon up courage to go back to the dance and Trip The Light Fantastic :rolleyes:

I can't find any information relating to the 'Vulcan' on Dallam Lane as the lane did not exist prior to 1900, the pub name is obviously linked to the huge Dallam & Bewsey Foundry and was probably opened to supply the foundry workers with ale as they employed lads to supply them with jugs of ale throughout their working shift, the Coach and Horses on Liverpool Road provided the same service to the workers of Monks Hall.

ScreenShot003_zps2d9abbf5.jpg

Damn there's a certain song going round and round in my head now. Infact... thinking about it where did my mobile's ring tone go and who changed it and when?

I blame you Latchy cos if you hadn't asked the question it wouldn't have got to this and I wouldn't have noticed :unsure:<_<

• 1 month later...

The pub closed for a while in the early 70s and than re-opened as a biker's pub. Eric Weaver was the last landlord who also had the Lord Rodney.

Peridot :)

I went out with a Dallam girl in 1967 and her sisters boyfriend who was a "biker" used the Vulcan back then.The last time I was in there was way back in 1975 when I worked across the road at British Steels Rod and Bar mill.

If I remember correctly did it have a flat roof and looked a bit like someones bathroom extension :|

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry Algy-no photos but I seem to remember that the design of the building was rather like the Mersey Hotel as was and it may have had a flat roofed entrance vestibule. Most of the best pubs have gone now and many went unphotographed sadly. I can still remember the names of most of the pubs from Longford Island to Bridge Foot.

Peridot :)

• 3 months later...

Hello,

I'm new to this forum so please be gentle ! Many years ago I got my first camera and  dad thought it would be a good idea to photograph pubs in warrington, so off I went. My photography was well and truly rubbish, but I had lots of fun developing film and printing in the darkroom kitchen.  I really don't remember taking this one,  but is this the pub you remember ?

Regards,

Graz 

post-8330-0-00594600-1360502433_thumb.jpg

Welcome Graz, excellent work your collection of Pubs is amazing, the reason a Greenalls was next to Tetleys was Tetleys bought out Cunninghams in the 1950s and Cunninghams was a rival of Greenalls everywhere one or the other opened a Pub the other would open within a few streets or even on the same street.

I know this because as a child my Father had a Cunninghams Pub and they were bought out by Tetleys.