I could start my own Toy Shop

Dizzy

I got over two grand for a lot of my old Corgi toys a few years ago....

Blimey how many did you have :shock:

I bet we had loads of those when we were kids and they probably got thrown out as we grew up. Saying that my Tiny Tears (minus the fingers that I bit off) and my Katy copcat are definatly still in my dads loft as he keeps whinging about them. Maybe there's the odd Corgi up there two. Knowing my brother though they were probably 'modified' at the time though :lol:

Toys don't necessarily have to be antique to fetch a packet at auction. Could possibly no longer be in production and/or a rare peice, bearing in mind how toys usually get hammered then binned. Could be an older design of a modern toy, so collectable. Or maybe just another one for someone with too much money to spend to add to his/her collection.

Used to know somebody who collected those toys that McDonalds used to give away in their kids meals. he was over the moon if he managed to get one still in the packet. Takes all sorts I suppose.

Always remember the toys I had as a kid used to end up wrecked inside a month due to heavy usage. When I look on ebay and see what sort of prices they are now fetching it amazes me that people will pay such a price for something that most of us kids at the time had.

All the old thunderbirds stuff, all the old UFO stuff. (One that I remember well was a thunderbird 4 toy that was about a foot long and had a small propeller at the back and was battery driven, only problem was that it was too big to sail in the bath and we did not have a very big paddling pool handy at the time) More railway track than british rail in both the normal gauge and the very small gauge. About three miles of scaletrix track that we had to use two transformers on to use it all. Sadly now all consigned to the bin as it fell into disuse.

Daft thing about all those toys is that although they were well played with,more often than not you would find our gang wandering around bewsey woods and burtonwood old airbase with a couple of sticks and having a great time being robin hood or king arthur etc.

Oh dear off on a nostalgia trip again.:|

Nostalgia trips are good Evils, and I must admit I'm starting to reminisce about all the xmas's, birthdays that most of the toys came from and memories are flooding back. Thinking of all the toys we used to play with too as kids as well as playing up trees and being spies or shipwrecked survivors in a scary land (weird I know) is doing the same. If I shut my eyes it's like being right back to all those days.

Ahhh lovely memories and as Harry would say .... 'Happy Days'

Makes you wonder though whether you should buy toys and put them straight in the loft for years and years in the hope they will be worth somthing in later life. I suppose the problem with todays toys is they are all made of plastic and of no real quality though.

Making me think though, and maybe I wont be as ruthless as I planned. I might keep all the boxes of Top Trump Cards as they span about 2002 - 2006 and laddo is only 18 so when he's 50 they might be worth something. Same goes for all the Action men and stuff and the.... and the....

So much for my clear out eh :lol:

Nostalgia trips are good Evils, and I must admit I'm starting to reminisce about all the xmas's, birthdays that most of the toys came from and memories are flooding back. Thinking of all the toys we used to play with too as kids as well as playing up trees and being spies or shipwrecked survivors in a scary land (weird I know) is doing the same. If I shut my eyes it's like being right back to all those days.

Ahhh lovely memories and as Harry would say .... 'Happy Days'

Makes you wonder though whether you should buy toys and put them straight in the loft for years and years in the hope they will be worth somthing in later life. I suppose the problem with todays toys is they are all made of plastic and of no real quality though.

Making me think though, and maybe I wont be as ruthless as I planned. I might keep all the boxes of Top Trump Cards as they span about 2002 - 2006 and laddo is only 18 so when he's 50 they might be worth something. Same goes for all the Action men and stuff and the.... and the....

So much for my clear out eh :lol:

If you are not willing to try your luck in auction (remember you can put a reserve price on them) don't clear them out. Sit on them longer. Don't give up your memories easily or cheaply!

If you are not willing to try your luck in auction (remember you can put a reserve price on them) don't clear them out. Sit on them longer. Don't give up your memories easily or cheaply!

Just noticed it's free insertion on Ebay this weekend and you only pay fees if you sell. There's some stuff I could put on there which will never be worth anything to keep hold of and I could put a reserve of what I'd ask at a car boot.

I'll have to sus out postage and packaging cost though. Anyone got any spare bubble wrap, brown paper and parcel tape in their loft :lol:

I could do one listing as a 'job lot' and include the 'child' and 'dad' too :lol:

I'm becoming obsessed with toys now.

I just found this website and it's got loads the popular toys from the 50's to today and other interesting facts .. here’s just a few

1759 Roller skates were invented by Joseph Merlin

1901 Meccano went on sale in the UK. Invented by Frank Hornby in Liverpool.

1908 Plasticine went on sale.

1914 Tinker Toys went on sale (interlocking construction toys)

1932 Alfred Butt (an unemployed US architect) began work on what became the board game Scrabble. He called it 'Lexico'.

1932 In Denmark, Ole Kirk Christiansen started his Lego toy company. Lego means 'play well' in Danish. (leg godt). Later he discovered Lego in Latin means 'to put together'.

1935 Monopoly arrived in the UK. Invented in the USA by Charles Darrow in 1933

1943 Richard James, researching a suspension device developed the Slinky. It went on sale in 1945.

1967 Spiro-Graph was toy of the year (I loved playing with my spirograph)

1970 Rolf Harris’s Sylophone was created (apparently invented by accident)

Hands up who had one…we did … and now annoying was the sound

Click on the links on the right for various years etc.

http://www.toyretailersassociation.co.uk/toy-year/basic-history-popular-toys

Can’t believe it was 12 years ago when I queued for hours for Texta, 14 years for Furby and 15 years for Buzz Lightyear or that we still have them. How time flies.

The early monopoly games are much sought after and, in good condition, are worth a mint (as in a lot of money, not a polo mint or Trebor mint. And real money not monopoly money).

Rolph Harris himself was an accident. :unsure::lol::lol:

My brother had a stylophone and it sounded awful. I was always screaming at him to shut the hell up with it or I would bin it in someone else's bin so he would never find it again. Now he plays the electric organ and plays it beautifully. I often asked him to play for us when we were in the uk. And he never missed the opportunity to remind me about the stylophone days. :D