Warrington - Old Photo

algy

I'm not sure but I don't think I have uploaded this photo of a party in a horseless carriage canvassing for what I presume is an impending local election, is Mr/Mrs Holme the Conservative candidate for Warrington's Fairfield ward and perhaps the Labour or Liberal candidates entourage are following up in the horse and carriage, the building on the right is the 'King & Queen' in Padgate Land with very few houses around.

KingQueen.jpg

Looks as if this vehicle is being inspected to establish whether it is a 'write off' or a 'rebuild', the garage may be Houghton's on Knutsford Rd, Latchford.

4462176896_b59c719e6f_o.jpg

An early photo of Grappenhall Rd. Stockton Heath.

4727683554_0e97cb3857_b.jpg

The 'Black Horse at sankey Bridges, one of the oldest remaining buildings in Warrington, the sign over the door indicates that the licensee's name is ----- Roughley, could be Phillip?.

6554621557_f5c2af3530_b.jpg

Boats moored up at Sankey Bridges.

6554669751_2d42bd58a0_b.jpg

Great pictures Algy.

Re the second one with the smashed car. I've got a copy of that one and I looked into it some time ago as I was going to put it in a frame on the wall at 'work' with some info about the family. I never did get around to doing that.

Anyway....

It was (Charles)Kingsley Parker's car and the accident was about 1920 (ish).

I often wondered if that was him on the left of the picture as he seems better dressed than the others and looks quite cross. He had chauffeur called Arthur Hanstock so I wonder if he crashed it.

It's a right mess though eh and I wonder if anyone was seriously injured or even killed :shock:

Kingsley Parker and his family lived at Penketh Lodge and he owned Penketh Tannery.

Great pictures Algy.

Re the second one with the smashed car. I've got a copy of that one and I looked into it some time ago as I was going to put it in a frame on the wall at 'work' with some info about the family. I never did get around to doing that.

Anyway....

It was Kingsley Parker's car and the accident was about 1920 (ish).

I often wondered if that was him on the left of the picture as he seems better dressed than the others and looks quite cross. He had chauffeur called Arthur Hanstock so I wonder if he crashed it.

It's a right mess though eh and I wonder if anyone was seriously injured or even killed :shock:

Kingsley Parker and his family lived at Penketh Lodge and he owned Penketh Tannery.

Thanks for the info Dizz, I had never heard of this chap before!.

and

Tracey it's great to know that you are still around and keeping an eye on the forum, I hope our behaviour over the past week or so hasn't put you off!. I shall probably post a few more on over the next week or so, mainly of Penketh which if I remember correctly may be of interest to you. :unsure:

Yes, I'm still about. Haven't been on here much due to setting up a Pig Club in real life (that's people owning pigs, not a porcine social organisation.) so my time has been used up there. Well remembered, Penketh, Stockton Heath, Walton etc around that area is where my family were.

What 'behaviour' is this? Has everyone been mis-behaving?!

Not wanting to take the topic off track Algy but I know you're a bit odd like me when it comes to looking up and reading about people who have no connection to ourselves at all.

'Charles' Kingsley Parker's father, Charles E Parker, was born in Scotland and he owned the tannery too. When Kingsley died on 4th March 1934 (aged only 36) he left effects worth £7455 12s and 10d to his father Charles E.

Anyway that's not what I was coming too........ Kingsley Parkers sister, Hilda Vicoria Parker, seemed to have had an interesting life.

Going under the name of 'Victoria Kingsley' she travelled the world with her love of music and apparently she 'could chant in Gaelic and accompany herself on an

instrument made from the carapace of the hairy armadillo' too :lol: How bizarre.

Interesting read though to think a young lass from Warrington, the daughter of a tanner, could finish up doing all thais. Must have been a good life as she was 100 when she died.

See here Algy....... http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/ENGLAND-OBITS/2007-10/1193745705

How's that for me being boring eh :lol:

• 1 month later...

Algy-my grandfather was Arthur Hanstock and I believe it was Kingsley himself who was driving the car at the time of the accident. My grandfather was chauffeur for the family although nominally Charles E. I have what is supposed to be the bonnet mascot off the wrecked car namely a Farman, although he drove a Silver Ghost for Charles E. I'm curious as to where the info came from re my grandfather? My grandfather was also batman to Kingsley in the First World War.

Peridot :)

Tracey-As a newcomer to the site and looking through some old threads I was wondering if you ever found a photo of Bank House or Bank House Farm in Penketh? I was brought up in Penketh and that is one of the few places there I haven't seen a photo of. If you have got a photo I would appreciate a scan by PM. Also I know that on the return of the local soldiers from World War 1 there was a dinner given by the Methodist Church in Penketh at which at least one photograph was taken and I think my grandfather may be on it. I have seen the photograph from a distance but was unable to look at it in detail and it now seems to have disappeared, possibly to a private collection. Can you help with this as well?

Thanks

Peridot :)

No, I didn't get any photos, have just got a map showing it which Algy did for me. I haven't got any WW1 photos either, sorry. Might be worth pming Algy as he's the source of all these photos on here. I came here via Google while looking for an address I had for my 5x great grandfather, turned out Algy had some photos of it! You never know what he can turn up.

Peridot, although I have a number of photos of the Penketh area but they are all earlier than 1914 and none of the Methodist school, Sorry. I see you were asking on Rootschat, an excellent forum, I used it extensively when researching my family history. Good Luck!.

I don't know if this will help you in any way but here's a map of Penketh showing the Methodist Chapel and school.

Penketh.jpg