Bridge foot lane changes

Evil Sid

Did they not do a traffic survey around bridge foot a short while back. surely that would have highlighted any traffic build ups and where and when they occurred.

Is there any link on the warrington council website that list proposed changes top roads preferably with maps and the like that could be accessed by the public for comments/suggestions.( on second thoughts strike that last bit as some of the suggestions could be painful as well as impossible to carry out) oh well something for me to have a look at whilst I am waiting for the doctors to open.

I told a senior officer last Tuesday morning (11th) that "It was right to re-jig the lanes at Bridgefoot eastbound but two lanes just for A49 northbound? I hope someone's watching but I'll be surprised if it doesn't cause traffic to tail back on Wilson Patten Street." The fact that the new lane markings went in without the warning signs would be down to the contractor. I've now asked to see the "modelling" behind this one (i.e. modelling what happens to traffic flows with a change like this) - some of it is counter-intuitive, e.g. on rare occasions, opening a new road can cause delays and closing a road can mean that traffic flows more smoothly; google "Braess's paradox"!

Traffic Committee only deals with stuff where proposals have been advertised and there have been objections. Most road marking changes are simple and obvious stuff, but I'd quite like to change the committee remit so at least there's a list of them on the committee agenda. In most cases members would happily go with officer recommendation, but there may be some where we at least challenge the assumptions.

Eastbound on A57 approaching Martinscroft is another daft one - it says M6 in the right lane and A57 in the middle lane; OK for M6 northbound, but for anyone wanting M6 southbound it puts them in the wrong lane over the motorway bridge. I'm told this one is on the "to-do" list.

From what I can see for the Braess paradox to apply people would need to be able to choose an alternative route. I'm not convinced one exists for most people that use those roads and the idea that when you have two lanes serving four exits that are already gridlocked at certain times and one lane serving one exit that is not gridlocked, the changes they've made can only result in more congestion. I suppose we'll see.

You sick Sid?

no just picking up Mrs Sid's repeat prescription but the docs doesn't open unitl half eight in the mornings.

As for myself apart from the "dicky tickerrr" I am fine. but not looking forward to my flu jab, had one last year and it worked a treat, within two days I had the flu dry.gif:twisted:

I reckon it is a conspiracy to make people that pigged off with bridge foot that they go via runcorn bridgeto get to Walton; thus generating income when the tolls are applied and a swift back hander between Halton and WBC as a share of the profits... :D

But on a serious note; Steve, your council is making a bloody hash of the roads in this town and creating chaos and delays on every major route..... why don't you have the balls to sack off every so called traffic expert you have and get someone else in?

I'll do it for a few pints.... first job, get rid of all the bloody traffic lights that you lot have stuck on every roundabout... roundabouts are designed to aid traffic flow. Sticking lights on them creates tailbacks that wouldn't normally exist... secondly, make it a priority to put an exit lane off the Alban retail park so cars can get out of the place otherwise you will end up with businesses clearing off cos people won't go there to be stuck in a 20 minute tailback to get out of the place....

Finally, stop pandering to the lycra cyclist mob and build a bloomin ring road that can take traffic out of the town centre.

Sorted.

Total chaos today at 4pm and 5pm.

Queueing to cross from Knutsford rd to Mersey St. NEVER seen Mersey St so empty and clear right up past the roundabout/lights.

However, traffic was almost gridlocked with full double lanes of cars trying to move onto the roundabout from Winwick rd and the others on that island plus Mersey St hardly moving mainly (I suspect) because of the changes at Bridge foot.

Where is the sign telling what the changes are. I came out from the tax office rd, and having gone through the lights to get to Knutsford rd, had to change lanes.

Briefly saw a sign on the road saying Retail park. Does that allow you to go up KNuts rd or just the retail park?

Went to Alford Hall yesterday for a bowls match and decided to go via bridge foot just to see what it was like. set out from my house at 12.45 and got to Alford Hall at 13.25. The traffic from bridge foot was backed up all the way down Wilson Patten street to the lights at Aldi, Traffic was queuing from those lights past Aldi and also back over the bridge almost to Crossfields Island. When I got to Mr Smiths the left hand lane was empty as was the two lanes on the inside. all the traffic was in the right hand lane trying to get around bridge foot island once through the lights me and one other car were heading up/down mersey street.There were plenty of cars indicating trying to join the queue to go down knutsford road, Wilderspool Causeway or Chester road.

Somebody from the traffic department needs a good swift kick where it would do most good for this bit of idiocy. either that or the person responsible should have their name and face on a huge poster at the bridge foot lights so people who are sat in the traffic know who to blame.

For those who don't know I live near warrington hospital and Alford Hall is just past Kingsway lights heading towards woolston. A distance of about a mile and a quarter. Had I gone the other way it would have taken me approximately ten minutes even allowing for the volume of traffic around winwick road.

From what I can see for the Braess paradox to apply people would need to be able to choose an alternative route. I'm not convinced one exists for most people that use those roads and the idea that when you have two lanes serving four exits that are already gridlocked at certain times and one lane serving one exit that is not gridlocked, the changes they've made can only result in more congestion. I suppose we'll see.

We do see GM, Wilson Patten St; is choked again tonight(1600). I needed to access the Market car park via Mersey Street and was halted at Bank Quay. I did a rat run and emerged in the 2 empty lanes at Mr Smiths. What defeats me is why drivers do not use their common sense and ignore the folly painted on the road. I might be wrong but are these directions compulsory or advisory ? I had a quick scan of the Highway Code and note that some road markings have "rules" attached but directions do not !!!

Commonsense/people power prevails.

What I do find worrying, are a couple of posts that said/implied that the shortest queue should be joined and another suggested that pick a lane you like was ok.

IF half the cars are doing what they are supposed to do, and the other half pleasing themselves, it is surely going to cause accidents.

Hurrah and I hope they put BIG warning signs up this time.

Infact it's even more important they do that now for those who have now managed to suss the new lanes a little only to find them being changed again :lol:

I've avoided it like the plague for the past few weeks as my nerves couldn't stand it anymore :oops:

No idea if the latest new 'new' changes have made it better Grimreaper as personally I'm still avoiding bridge foot. Doubt anyone will get sacked though as on paper it probably ticked relevant boxes and 'seemed' like a good idea at the time :unsure::wink:

Welcome to the forum by the way :D

People don't need to be sacked. Nor do we need an inquiry. Surely this is a straightforward management issue. Make the buck stop with whoever took the final decision and have a frank exchange of views about the competence of their decision making. We don't need inquiries and more checks and meetings - just some accountability and competent employees.

• Upvote 2

nahhhh.... sack the bloody lot of them and start again.

And the councillors too.... lets start with a whole fresh bunch with fresh ideas instead of the career councillors we have now

The only problem is Baz, it would not take long for the new lot to become exactly the same as the old lot.

Politicians are the same as union officials they are a breed that consist of individuals who are work shy, egotistical, self opinionated, greedy, lazy, dishonest, I could go on and on, after I have said that there are the minority that are good people but they are very few and far between and usually do not get very far in their careers as the others trample all over them. Probably sounds bitter, but I'm not, I just don't have any time for them.

• Upvote 1

give them all a fixed term of 4 years and if any are seen to be putting petty squabbles and party interests first; charge them with treason against the town and strip them of everything they own and then shoot them....

should just about sort the nonsense :D