Noise limit?

observer

Is there a legal limit on the amount of noise emited from a car radio? Even if I turn up the sound for the 1812, I'm sure folk outside can't hear it; and the vast majority of drivers keep noise within their own bubbles - BUT, there'e alway some sprog want's everyone to hear his/her c**p "music", and you can feel the base vibration half way down the street. :angry:

:lol::lol: Sorry Obs but that really made me giggle.

I suppose it's better that they do it in their cars so you only have to hear it for a minute or so than if they were playing it that loud in their own homes.

I've often thought that it must be a distraction to them while they are driving though and how do they hear things like ambulance/police/fire engine sirens etc as you often hear them before you see them.

Blimey Obs I never ever had you down as an 'ace of spades' sort of bloke :unsure:

Love it and you may be the new 'Rock God' before we know it :lol:

PS isn't it the Valkyries though. Just nit picking and I'm probably wrong.

Keep rockin' Obs either way and I look forward to passing you one day :lol::wink:

We said picking nits sadako... you said nit picking :wink:

On the same subject, but completely off actual topic (sorry Obs but we'll get back to your loud music soon).

Some years ago when I was involved with a rather high profile and local campaign we had a website. I and others had put 'getting down to the nitty gritty' in a few documents and statements which by my understanding meant 'getting down to the heart of the matter or the real details'.

Another person who was involved said it was their understanding that the wording could not be used anymore due to being classed as offensive by certain groups. All down to the 18th century slave trade I think.

The place 'he' worked had all been told under no circumstances should they ever use the term.

So I guess from what you say the offensive word must be 'nit' itself but we had nits at school and also 'nitty Nora the bug explorer' who she was fondly know.

I wonder if that's why nits are now called head lice :unsure:

Crikey I'm itching like mad now.... must put some loud music on to distract me.

I've still not found any law by the way Obs, I found one about needing a licence to use speakers in the street but that didn't apply to speakers permenantly fitted in a car.

They could be classed as being a public nusciance if they stay in one place for long enough though.

Another person who was involved said it was their understanding that the wording could not be used anymore due to being classed as offensive by certain groups. All down to the 18th century slave trade I think.

I wonder if that's why nits are now called head lice :unsure:

Nits are the eggs of head lice so a person who has nits must also have head lice.

You are correct that nitty-gritty originates from the 18th centuary slave trade. It refers to the (for the want of a better word) shit (which had accumulated and became known as nitty-gritty) in the hold at the bottom of a slave transporter ship after the slaves had been unloaded after their long journey across the ocean, bearing in mind that the slaves would have been chained down and unable to perform bodily functions anywhere else.

The hold would need to be cleaned out after the slaves were unloaded and that became known as getting down to the nitty-gritty.