Is there any truth in Global Warming?.

algy

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who says they are a minority? Just because a certain point of view has the ears of the rich and powerful doesn't make it a majority view. Look at the British public opinion on the EU, completely at odds with the policians but certainly a majority otherwise we would have been given the referendum that all 3 major parties have promised and then reneged on. There are thousands of scientists, some of whom have contributed to the IPCC assessment reports, who disagree strongly with the way the evidence has been distorted to meet political ends. These same scientists are denied any voice in scientific institutes and journals because their views don't accord with the accepted one. However don't let me stop you putting your faith in a pack of charlatans.

The argument about who supports what in the scientific community could go on forever but in the end it all comes down to what if anything can be done about it.

I just renewed my gas and electric contract and used one of the online comparison sites. Like most, I opted for the lowest price but it did make me wonder how many would actually sign up for the ultra green save the planet type plan at £5 per week extra?

Anyone paying £20 a month to some business in the misguided belief that they’re saving the planet when the rest of us are opting for the cheapest option really needs to sit down and think long and hard about what they’re doing.

Bill :)

The argument about who supports what in the scientific community could go on forever but in the end it all comes down to what if anything can be done about it.

I just renewed my gas and electric contract and used one of the online comparison sites. Like most, I opted for the lowest price but it did make me wonder how many would actually sign up for the ultra green save the planet type plan at £5 per week extra?

Anyone paying £20 a month to some business in the misguided belief that they’re saving the planet when the rest of us are opting for the cheapest option really needs to sit down and think long and hard about what they’re doing.

Bill :)

Makes sense to me Bill!.

But what a great way of conning Joe & Josephine Soap into paying more tax ," this is not for us, you understand, it is to save the planet ". The one that makes me laugh is the airport expansion programme to cater for the "growing needs of airline customers",but on the other hand the various governments are imposing green taxes on flying.To me ,if this issue is so serious ,commonsense would dictate that less airports were needed & some should even be shut down.The business & political communities are in an ideal place to set an example where overseas travel is concerned by using internet conferencing more , but that would hit one of their nice little perks which would never do !

Asp, you are definetly in the minority in the world of science

Bill, cannot argue about the money side, that would take legislation by the government to stop people being ripped off.

Wavydave, The Business World would sell anywhere and sod the consiquences, You cannot expect them to lead if it is going to add to the cost, Also Wavy the cost of doing nothing will not be paid by you, it will be paid by your children and grandchildren, I take it you are happy to do that. A bit sad when we know what we are doing.

Non of you have yet come up with an internally recognised scientific organisation to back your arguement, so where are you getting your science from?

I should imagine all scientific organisations recognise themselves internally <_<

I'm not edging my bets here but I am willing to concede that man is contributing to global warming however I do also believe that there is a major natural cycle of temperature changes caused by - eruption of volcanoes, earthquakes allowing hot gas to escape into the atmosphere, activity on the sun such as sunspots creating solar fares, and so on, so I suppose any activity carried out by man must go into the melting pot and contribute to global temperature changes. I'm afraid I'm not intelligent enough to challenge scientific data. :unsure:

I won't even bother replying to that Asp.

Animals and plants take time to adapt to temperature change, some will not simply die out, others can but need time for evolution to help them, quick temperature changes do not give them time and they will die out. 150 years in terms of evolution is a nano second.

Just look what the temp change has done to the ice cap.

It is all a con and it is all a scam by various world powers to rip tax out of the gullable public.

As for letting my kids and grandkids pay; they will have their own opinions on the matter and if they choose to vilify daddy or grandad in the future that is their right.... just as I have the right for criticising my parents for voting for a common market or my grandparents for not totally wiping out Germany after the first world war and so preventing the second world war and deaths of 50 odd million people...

I can live with my decisions and choices just as they did

There was a programme on tv a few months ago (it could have been last summer even ) with a couple of women going round the world examining the climate & one point they made was that due to the earth tilting on its axis the climate was changed because a different part of the earth was closer to the sun & it disrupted the earth's eco cycle as a naturally recurring cycle.This affected all the ocean currents & the jet stream which is why our last few summers have been atrocious.I also wonder what damage various mining ,oil & gas extraction does to the planet because no matter what these voids are filled with it is different to what has been removed.Is that why we have so much seismic activity. To be honest though if the conditions are as bad as the alarmists tell us ,then it is probably too late anyway so excessive taxes are a useless penalty for the taxpayer.

What you have to remember is we are reliant on the sun for the sustaining of life on this planet and one millisecond of our timescale sometime in the future the sun will cease to exist and a few moments later life on this plane will also cease to exist and become yet another dead planet in the universe, with that happy thought sweet dreams and I wish you all a good night's sleep!. :unsure::wink::D :grin: :D

Cleo, you are absolutely correct. There's more important things to worry about than whether the temperature has gone up by a few tenths of a degree in the last century or not.

Incidentally when we sailed from Immingham this morning the height of tide at high water was 19 centimetres above prediction, because of the prevailing weather conditions, which puts the sea level rise of less than 3 millimetres a year into perspective somewhat. The tidal range today was somewhere about 6.5 metres. :wink: