Has anyone heard this rumour?

algy

Has anyone else heard a rumour that once the public euphoria over the success of our paraplegic athletes has died down that the DWP will be investigating the possibility of removing benefit from those athletes that took part in the Olympic games and that it may affect disability benefit being paid out to other disabled persons receiving aid. I sincerely hope that this is not the case, but wouldn’t be in the least surprise as some of these running that department have twisted and warped minds. :unsure:

This is the way of things today. The medical test for being out of work due to disability now focuses on what the individual CAN do as opposed to what they CAN'T do.

What that means is that even if you are wheelchair bound they can find work for you maybe in a call centre.

no legs and only one arm but with good hearing and eyesight, they will find you a job as a lift attendant.

Mind you if they do go down that route then I can see that there will be a few less politicians but on the bright side sales of rope may go through the roof. :shock:

• 3 weeks later...

This is the way of things today. The medical test for being out of work due to disability now focuses on what the individual CAN do as opposed to what they CAN'T do.

What that means is that even if you are wheelchair bound they can find work for you maybe in a call centre.

no legs and only one arm but with good hearing and eyesight, they will find you a job as a lift attendant.

Mind you if they do go down that route then I can see that there will be a few less politicians but on the bright side sales of rope may go through the roof. :shock:

Sorry to argue, but they merely say that you can do a job. If they really did find disabled applicants a job then it wouldn't be quite so bad. What employer is going to give a disabled person a full-time job if here is still a possibility that they may be hospitalised at any time.

The point I was trying to make is that they are trying to get people off invalidity/sickness benefit which is tested for, probably once a year, and onto jobseekers which is tested for once a fortnight.

As I have said before it a number shuffling exercise.

Many years ago there were high unemployment figures. To get them down they started to put people on invalidity/sickness benefit and so get them off the unemployment register. This meant that jobless figures went down and sickness /invalidity went up. Now they are going the other way as they need to reduce he number of people claiming sickness/invalidity. Saying that they are capable of doing a job gets them off the sickness/invalidity list and puts them on the jobless list.

Target of reducing the sickness/invalidity figures achieved.

Saving in payment of benefits achieved, as jobseekers allowance is much less than invalidity /sickness benefit.

Big cheer for the department and gov as they have done what they set out to do.

I do not say that employers will employ long term disabled people,but they are obliged not to show discrimination against them.

A few more years and they will probably start doing the reverse again to get the jobless figures down.:roll: