Anyone on this photo.

algy

I went to that school but no Algy I'm obviously not on your pic :lol:

Infact now you've shown that I've just reaslised that I have no class photo's from my whole school years and I can't even remember who's classes I was in either :?

You have a very cheeky look on your face Algy and look like you could have been a little mischief maker. Very smart crease in your trouser leg though :wink:

Was that your whole class .... and only 2 boys ?

I went to that school but no Algy I'm obviously not on your pic :lol:

Infact now you've shown that I've just reaslised that I have no class photo's from my whole school years and I can't even remember who's classes I was in either :?

You have a very cheeky look on your face Algy and look like you could have been a little mischief maker. Very smart crease in your trouser leg though :wink:

Was that your whole class .... and only 2 boys ?

Cheeky me, no I was innocence itself!. :D :grin:

The reason there were only two lads in the class is because the rest were slightly older than us and had left the previous christmas we left at the beginning of the summer hols, our life was 'hell' for that six months surrounded by screaming yattering females, thankfully we had plenty of mates in the other 4th year classes.

Ifyou notice my jacket is button up as I form teacher insisted so, the minute the photo had been taken the jacket was opened and the tie slacked off.

Middle girl, back row, looks like she could have been a bit of a vixen! :wink: And look how short her sleeves are. :D

N

She was a nice girl Cleo as a matter of fact they were all normal nice kids, just ready for leaving school and starting work and I would say that we all had jobs to go to as work was plentiful in those days I suppose we were very lucky compared to the youngsters of today who need a degree to get a job serving in a shop behind a counter.

I had my interview for my job in the same week as I took the O' Levels. I did have 2 months off before starting though! Idle sod that I was :D :grin:

Tut Tut! Asp, I'm sure you have made up for it since.

Same as Cleo I left school on the Friday and reported to the Smithy for work on the Monday, I never had an interview and had never been there before, having had the job 'fixed up' for me by 'Billy' Banks aka 'Tap it Flat' our metal work teacher who knew I had an aptitude for metal work, the job was on a trial basis for one month on the understanding that if either I or Colin Dale the Blacksmith weren't satisfied with my progress I would leave, at the end of that month Colin, my father and myself signed my indentures which I still have to this day. Six years later I came out as a Journeyman.

Tut Tut! Asp, I'm sure you have made up for it since.

Same as Cleo I left school on the Friday and reported to the Smithy for work on the Monday, I never had an interview and had never been there before, having had the job 'fixed up' for me by 'Billy' Banks aka 'Tap it Flat' our metal work teacher who knew I had an aptitude for metal work, the job was on a trial basis for one month on the understanding that if either I or Colin Dale the Blacksmith weren't satisfied with my progress I would leave, at the end of that month Colin, my father and myself signed my indentures which I still have to this day. Six years later I came out as a Journeyman.

Algy... what constitutes a journeyman?

In 1997, I wrote to Buckingham Palace to confirm that my Great Uncle Dave would be 100 years old the following year. They asked me to send a copy of his birth certificate; which I got and on that, it listed his dad as a Journeyman.

They came from Elmswell in Suffolk!

The term 'journeyman' cropped up on my family tree (tanners to be exact).....

If what I remember is right I think a journeyman was someone who had served an apprenticeship and learned their craft and was a skilled worker in their field but was not regarded as being at a level that meant they were a 'master of their trade'.

Not saying that is the same for you and your qualification as a 'journeyman' Algy as you are much younger than the relatives I am referring to.. well unless you are well over 100 years old of course and have been fibbing about your age all along :wink::lol:

Algy... what constitutes a journeyman?

In 1997, I wrote to Buckingham Palace to confirm that my Great Uncle Dave would be 100 years old the following year. They asked me to send a copy of his birth certificate; which I got and on that, it listed his dad as a Journeyman.

They came from Elmswell in Suffolk!

A Journeyman.

When an apprentice completed serving his indentured time, all parties that signed at the start of his apprenticeship signed on completion, the young chap was still not classed as a tradesman but for twelve months after he was classed as a journeyman and some businesses would ask or encourage him to leave and and gain further experience, then if there was a job for him he could return after the twelve months and continue his employment as a fully fledged tradesman. In engineering many of the older tradesmen would still class him as being junior to them until he had proven himself.