Binge Drinking

Lt Kije

Lt Kije, do not make the mistake of believing statistics. The way this has come about is because anyone who is admitted to hospital or A&E is asked if they have had a drink. If they say yes then this is automatically recorded as being a factor, even if it isn't! The same with smoking. This is why the number of admissions supposedly due to drinking and smoking is on the rise when actually different statistics will point to an overall fall in the amount of alcohol being drunk by people of all ages, and a large fall in the number of people smoking. It is in the nature of certain people in the medical professions to want to ban everything they disapprove of, and compiling statistics in this manner helps their cause.

As for the government doing something, well don't you think government does enough damage to our lives already? <_< <_< <_<

Most of those posts if you read them are about pensions and how they are founded in the UK, it is those who are working pay for the retired, something that is going to have to change, as in the future their will be more retired people than those in work, something successive governments have known about and done nothing, it is called the pensions time bomb. It was meant to spark debate, Cleo old age happens to everyone, I hope to get their one day, May I suggest you google the pensions time bomb. It is a fact that the way pensions are paid is unsustainable, I don't think anyone disagrees, . Young people today will have to pay more into a pension , work for more years and receive less, hardly fair?

which is why most of the baby boomers like myself, are buying houses instead of pensions because the returns they offer are far in excess of any pensions and means I and many more won't be a burden on society when I retire....

If I were to soley rely on a pension I would end up costing future generations even more.... you can't have it all ways Kije!

Algy

I hope it is just down to not being as good on their feet, but if they are drinking heavily because they are lonely ect, I think their are wider issues for society, what the government can do about it, is another issue. Out of site should not be out of mind.

Lt, I don't believe the majority are drinking heavily or to access, unfortunately until someone comes up with tangible evidence I think this particular topic will only generate 'hot air' and not much else, with respect other than identifying that there may be a PROBLEM you don't appear to have an answer to this hypothetical situation, do you?. please don't give us one of your politicians answers tell us what you would do!. :wink:

Baz, I don't think you are a baby boomer :wink:

well maybe not; but only by a couple of years if you take certain measures of what a baby boomer is.... plus both my mum and dad were in their forties when I was born, so I reckon I should have been born a bit earlier by rights!! :D

Panorama was a it of a damp squib, no real info other than, a 50% increase in pensioners going to hospital with Sclerosis of the Liver. And the NHS now spends more money on alcohol related problems than they do on the 16 to 24 age group.

Last time I take any notice of your choice of TV entertainment Lt. :roll:

I watched this on catch-up today. No real facts at all, just a lot of insinuations and biased coverage e.g. a group of pensioners on a coach trip out who (shock, horror) stopped for a few drinks while they were out! The first stop being for cups of tea! There were also a few interviews with people who were alcoholics, but no coverage of the millions who aren't.