Food poverty?

observer

Why not read all the posts silver lady and see who is being judgemental, the topic is about food poverty, People have made some sweeping statements about mobile phones, flat screen Tv's,. Who is being more judgemental, And they made those statements without actually knowing any facts, so I put it to you who is being more judgemental, Fugs are them?

If they are not then they are doing something wrong

Heh, you really don't do non-judgemental, do you?

Let's hope you're never the victim of unfortunate circumstances lest people say it's your own fault.

A couple of links for those who can be bothered:

http://www.trusselltrust.org/real-stories

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/sep/09/nick-cohen-starving-children-charity

Well I have read the cases on the Trussell site. Number one appears to be because they had a delay in getting benefits for whatever reason - short term issue; hardly proof of UK poverty.

Story 2; ex army chap with PTSD.... "too proud to claim benefits".... that is not an example of poverty, it is an example of someone not claiming what they are entitled too and then claiming poverty. In his case, as a soldier, he is more than entitled to help, but if he refuses to take what is righfully his, can that be a case of poverty?

Story 3. Again, benefits in the name of someone who clears off and leaves his kids with no food is a parental issue.. (But surely if they were on such benefits, the child would qualify for free school meals??)plus an issue with the benefits system causing problems for those that need it most.

This can not be cited as examples of poverty surely? The issues are either with the system or with the person or persons not claiming what they are entitled to. If the support is there but someone refuses it, they can hardly then claim to be hard done to.

As for the Save the Children stuff, as I pointed out earlier, save the children is trying to become some form of politically biased organisation; run by those intent on bashing the tories whenever they can.

Their £500,000 appeal for the British Children was nothing more than a politically motivated publicity stunt and seeing as they never bothered to mention that their top executives and directors probably earn far in excess of the half million figure, I would take the whole thing with a pinch of salt

Everyone has an agenda Kije; I'm not denying that, but when the salaries of one the top directors of a particular charity take the donations of about 20,000 average peoples givings then surely that isn't right. The figures are correct and just because they are released by a particular paper doesn't make them any less so.

Well, I've just spent an hour on the Chadsworth Estate, Blackburn, courtesy of Panorama - and made a point of noting items in houses. Aside from a chain smoking ( incl weed) single mother of 4 by three different blokes, dropping a bottle of sherry at night; items included - x-boxes, cell phones, kids motorbikes etc.She was on £1100 per month in benefits btw. One thing they said, that did make sense, was that they don't take poorly paid jobs as it would stop their benefits, and they would be worse off. This was demonstrated by another couple, where the Husband was working as a school cleaner for £100 pw, thus losing housing benefit etc; which he would get, if he stayed on the dole. So perhaps Gov need to be a little more creative in thinking of ways to deal with the problem. :unsure:

Does it really matter if these people have got widescreen tv's and x-boxes or how they got them? :unsure: :unsure:

The fact is that kids are turning up for school having had no breakfast. Some of those that have eaten have filled up on crisps, chocolate and sweets. Some pensioners are slowly starving to death, unable to get out as frequently as they should or want to. Some people become malnourished, If their diet is wrong and they are not getting the correct nutrients, the body loses heat, and they become tired.

Some pensioners rely totally on ready made meals because they haven't got the strength or are too ill to stand over a cooker to make a healthy meal.

About 130,000 people receive £7 or less a week in state pension, even if they eat healthily it wouldn't be enough to feed a budgie. Looking for excuses to justify not giving to charities or putting the blame on feckless parents won't help any of these kids or old folk. :roll:

• Upvote 3

The fact is that kids are turning up for school having had no breakfast. Some of those that have eaten have filled up on crisps, chocolate and sweets.

But surely that is down to laziness of their parents or the kids themselves (depending on age of course).

If they have enough money to buy crisps, chocolate and sweets they have money available to buy breakfact cereals etc instead.

I completely agree with your comments about poor and needy pensioners. Some really don't get enough help :(

Diz, I refer you to my last sentence

putting the blame on feckless parents won't help any of these kids or old folk.

so what would you like us all to do then Wolfie?

Just say that the parents have got enough money to buy food to make breakfasts but they don't or can't be bothered. What do we do then? Do you have social services call round every morning to schools to ask who has had a breakfast?

When I was a kid, I never had breakfast. Not because we couldn't afford it or mum didn't make them.... I just didn't like breakfasts and even today I don't tend to eat breakfast (Mind you, just had a good cooked breaky at the Longford Community Cafe....mmmmm)

You can't control every aspect of everyones lives. If some choose not to make or some choose not to eat; you can't force them to do so

I referred Wolfie.. but in some cases it clearly IS the parents fault so how can the kids be helped if the parents can't be arsed to buy something as a simple a box of cereal for their breakfasts for example :(

Do the charities go out and deliver the kids a bowl of food or something and do they educate their parents, and if it's the latter do these sorts of parents listen ?

I'm not being heartless and I know there are a lot of people who genuinely do struggle but, like already said on here, with all the available benefits for families surely there is no need for any kids in the UK to be in the position where they are not getting meals.

A little story about when I was my papa's little princess. We were poor but my momma always served up at least one cooked meal every day. Should she happen to serve something I didn't like, I would say, "I'm not eating that, I don't like it!"

Momma would tell me, "Eat it, like it or not. You get nothing else till you do." To teach me a lesson one time when I refused to eat what she had served, she saved it till the next day and reserved it to me while serving the others a freshly cooked meal. Again, "Eat it because you are getting nothing else till you do!" I just sat there and simply refused to eat it and watched everyone else eating. After everyone had finished eating and momma was clearing the table she took my uneaten meal away and brought back a plate of the same food everyone else had just eaten, saying, "In future you will eat what we all eat or you will get nothing at all!"

One of the things she would regularly say was, "Be quiet and get it eaten. There are thousands of starving people in Africa who would be glad of a meal like that!"

Smart rr's me would reply, "Well give them that, they can have it."

And now here I am today actually living in Africa. But there is no shortage of food here in Egypt. There is such a wide variety of food, much of it the same food you have in the uk much cheaper and a lot of more exotic food beside that you don't have in the uk.

so what would you like us all to do then Wolfie?

Baz,I don't want or expect you to do anything about it. Earlier in the thread someone posted that there is 'no food poverty in this country'. IMO that is wrong.

As I posted before food poverty is the inability to afford, or to have access to, food to make up a healthy diet. Therefore parents on benefits with 'loads of money' may well be feeding their kids the wrong type of food, not necessarily denying their kids food because they would sooner spend the money on fags and booze.

Some parents may, after paying all the bills not have enough money left to provide enough food.

Some pensioners may not have a healthy diet because of poverty, ill health, or neglect.

Whatever the reason, I am not qualified or clever enough to know all the solutions, but in my opinion food poverty does exist in this country.

• Upvote 1