Help needed

Lt Kije

Does any one know if their are any Courses for older people to learn the basics about computers, I bought my Mum a lap top as she has been stuck in the house after having a new knee, but she only goes on it while I am their, as she has not got alot of confidence using it, Does anyone know if their are courses for older people to learn the basics so she can gain in confidence?

Library's do them Lt K, or at least they did about a year ago when I volunteered to help them.

Worth giving them a ring and perhaps they may even have someone who could go to her house if she's not very mobile as they have people like that who visit people for reading.

my mum took up arts and crafts and enroled via Priestley College when she was in her early 80's.... she loved making things and I have quite a lot of things such as cards and frames that she made right up until she got too poorly to carry it on any more.... She used to attend classes at Bewsey Park for a good few years

see if there is anything available at Priestley or via the council. I know we worked on a computer suite in the Bewsey Park building that was used for adult education so there may be something there Kije....

Baz

My Mum did an ECDL (European Computer Driving Licence) course at night school which covered all the basics of word processing, spreadsheets, the internet etc.

European eh ? I'm saying nothing :lol:

What is the ECDL speed limit and once you pass your 'driving test' do you need insurance ?

Sorry couldn't resist :oops::lol:

http://www.warrington.ac.uk/courses/331_basic-it/2607

This one might be a decent place to start.

£35 for a five week course (@ 2 hours a week).. absolute bargain although I'm sure that's what the libraries were once offering for free.

Sounds very good to me though and also a really good way of meeting other people with similar unnecessary 'computer fears' too.

I might enroll just to get some new friends :D

That looks ideal inky, Thankyou :D

Both Priestley and the Collegiate did computer courses at various levels. One was very good aimed at beginners. Not sure what the position is now, but well worth phoning to find out.

Both are run as per school timetable etc. (ie holidays)

Did come across this which might be of help. It is from the golden gates housing website under tenant and list a number of free courses run by warrington collegiate. they are drop in courses for computer training at several community centres across warrington.

IT Drop-in sessions

There are a number of FREE computer drop-in centres across Warrington. These are run by Warrington Collegiate, for more information contact Leaner Services on 01925 494494:

• St Margarets Community Centre, Lindley Avenue Latchford: Tuesdays 9.30-11.30am, 3-5pm, Thursdays 3-5pm
  • The Gateway Centre, Sankey Street, Warrington: Mondays 10am-12noon, Wednesdays 11.30am-1.30pm
  • Nora Street Community House, 15-17 Nora Street, Howley: Tuesdays 12noon-2pm, Thursdays 9.30-11.30am
  • Fairfield Old School, Fairfield Street, Warrington: Mondays 2-4pm, Wednesdays 2-4pm, Fridays 12noon-2pm
  • Whitecross Community Centre, Lexden Street, Whitecross: Wednesdays 9-11am, Fridays 9.30-11.30am

Beat me to it, Sid. (Been away for a while). Most residents associations and community houses have information on free courses. These are from Golden Gates and WHA houses alike. I only know the Norah Street on properly, but believe it is now held at the old Fairfield School. I don't know what area you need, but most residents associations don't actually mind where someone lives as long as they can get there.