How's it working?

observer

The new junction layout at junction Winwick Rd & Long Lane? Passed through today and it was quite clear, mind you, traffic was fairly light. :unsure:

obs I have said a number of times on here (and have been shot down) that I believe that since the island has been removed and a new junction created I have driven through there without any problems and personally found it to be a massive improvement.

It can be murder getting out of the retail park at certain times, never used to be as bad as it is now.

They need another car park exit at the Northern end, plus the left turn filter from Hawleys Lane needs extending so that traffic wanting to turn left through the Give Way isn't stuck behind traffic waiting at the lights to turn right or go straight on.

Not been through it from the other side so can't comment on that.

Rumour has it that on the old fiat site is going to be a Morrisons and in a story last year it mentioned the extension of Alban Retail Park with additional entrance/exit directly onto Winwick Road which would relieve some of the traffic problems currently faced on Hawleys Lane. Turning right from Winwick Road onto Long Lane is sometimes a problem due to the short time period the lights are on green.

Not if the new exit from the retail park is a simple slip road to the northbound side of Winwick Road.

If the retail park were to be extended to cover the whole of the Fiat site they could also put an entrance and exit to and from the westbound side of Cromwell Road.

The more alternative routes, the less pressure on individual junctions. That's why I don't understand why the council won't let Tesco use the entrance and exit from their car park onto Dallam Lane for customers - they are restricted to using it for deliveries only.

• 1 month later...

But there was nothing wrong with the traffic island, it was the traffic lights that were at fault, stopping the traffic on the roundabout itself and causing grid lock. The problem persists on the Cromwell Rd roundabout

Can someone explain why the lights on roundabouts are not switched off in Warrington at non peak times?

I’d go along with that in the most part especially since most of the lights used on the roundabouts don’t seem to have any in-built intelligence. The one near Crossfields is particularly frustrating especially late at night when I often find myself sitting for what seems to be an eternity with nobody else on the road. Given them more intelligence or scrap them is what I’d say.

Bill :)

I spend most of my working time in and around St Helens and it is very noticeable that all the traffic lights in their area are intelligent. I have driven towards a light changing to amber, then red, noticed I was the only car approaching from any direction but slowed anyway and found the lights back to green before I got there. Shame Warrington can't use the same technology.

What is the point of using intelligent lights, when they are not needed, especially on roundabout. I am guessing intelligent lights are a lot more expensive to install and cost far more to maintain.

I have no idea what it costs to run a traffic light, but let use the figure of £1 per light per day (can't be less), that is £365 per year per light. So how many lights are on the roundabout 20? so the running cost of the lights £7300, when they really only need to be running for 4 hours a day and not at weekends. Multiply that by the lights at Cromwell Rd, M62 roundabout, the next roundabout up, junction lights like the B&Q lights (that are really not needed) and the many pelcon lights that do not get used at night.

There would be a cost saving to the motorist who would not have to be sat at lights that are guarding an empty road at 3 am.

What is the point of using intelligent lights, when they are not needed, especially on roundabout. I am guessing intelligent lights are a lot more expensive to install and cost far more to maintain.

I have no idea what it costs to run a traffic light, but let use the figure of £1 per light per day (can't be less),

skittles, it costs a lot more than £1 to run a light -

The maximum penalty for running a red light is (i) a £1,000 fine, (ii) 6penalty points endorsed on the driver’s licence, and (iii) disqualification.Frequently, though, a driver who runs a red light will get a Fixed Penalty Notice offering a penalty of £60 and 3 penalty points to be endorsed on your licence. :wink::D :grin:

So if the lights have broken down and your direction is on red all the time what do you do. Sit there until somebody fixes them.:mellow:

It has happened to me a few times that lights have been stuck on red. each time I have ended up reporting it to the police and received the advice that they are aware of it and that I should go through them carefully. Last time that happened was at bewsey road when all the lights were stuck on red and it took them four hours to get somebody out to sort it out and not a single police man in sight to direct traffic. :angry:

Skittles

As far as I know, all traffic lights have sensors so it’s not going to take a hugely expensive system to simply switch a light to green. Also if you factor in wasted fuel and lost time for workers I’d bet you’d find that far outweighs any of the running costs.

Maybe we could adopt the system used in other countries where outside peak times the amber light just flashes to advise people to proceed with caution. It works for them so why not us?

Bill :)