Traffic Wardens

skittles

Anyone visiting Warrington town center after about 4pm will note that people are heading home an there is ample street parking, so why are the traffic wardens still hard at work until 6pm?

My mother is 80 years old, has a bad heart, curved spine and other health issues, her walking is poor and is unable to walk very far, so we parked in Barbauld Street in a disabled bay for easy access to the town. The time was 5pm and there were no other cars parked in the street.

Our crime was to forget to display the blue disabled badge. Realizing my mistake I rapidly returned to the car, I had left it for 5 minutes maybe a couple more, however too late, a traffic warden had already arrived on a motorbike and was writing a ticket.

He wasn't a bad guy and told me because he had started writing the ticket he could not cancel it but advised me to write in and explain the circumstances. This I did, by email, a couple of days later a email arrived telling me they would not cancel the ticket as you can not park in a disabled bay without displaying the blue badge!

Something has happened. I used to be in charge of the wardens nearly thirty years ago, when they worked from the police station. They used to do school crossing duty as well. There was no pressure to fill their books and verbal warnings were the norm. Their relationships with shop-keepers (usually the most persistent offenders) was excellent.)

No payment by results or pressure to fill the coffers. All they were required to do was to keep the traffic flowing. Hit and run ticketing was restricted almost exclusively to long term parkers. That seems to be the norm these days, probably cos it saves face to face confrontation.

Think it is safe to say that while they were never popular, they were never hated.

Happy days

Happy days

As I understand it you have a ten minute "grace" period don't you or is that just for the residential parking permit areas. must ask my nephew in law next time I see him. (he is one of the BLUE MEANIES )

In saying that I managed to get a ticket whilst parked outside my own home. The traffic warden even stuck it over the spot where the parking permit was. I ended up having to pay the fine as they said that in the picture he took you could not see my permit so it was not "properly displayed. The real reason you could not see it in the picture was because when he stood back to take the picture he was standing slightly down the hill and so yes at that angle you could not see it. from any other angle it was clearly visible and it was mounted on a white card about three inches square so that it stood out.

Must have been behind quota that day as the guy's who normally do the area make a point of looking at all the permits these days. Mainly to make sure that they are in date.

Not sure about the legality of this,maybe someone could put me right,I was always under the impression that the warden has to stick the ticket to the vehicle.

I was in Anglesey a couple of years ago and had parked admittedly illegally when I returned to the vehicle the warden was writing the ticket,I did not engage in any conversation with the warden and drove away,never heard another thing about it.

A very dangerous ploy Cleo. Several police officers and traffic wardens have got into trouble over this. Just because several dash from a car we take it as a sign of mis-use. Often it is, but it only takes one in a vehicle to be the disabled user and it back-fires heavily.

Happy days

Ah yes Obs. The photo is hidden from view when on display. OK if you catch them in the car. These were people jumping from the car as often happens. The old baths was a good example. They were gone in a flash and you had to ticket them (which usually rebounded in your face when they prove legitimate use); wait for a couple of hours; or haul them out, which often would lead to more egg on face.

There are a reasonable number of young people who have disabled badges for one reason or another. Dangerous in many aspects of life to take things at face value.

Happy days

• 8 years later...

I received a ticket after my pass became invalid over Covid. 

My understanding is this system is in place to prevent people from taking up all the space so that residents can actually park in there own street... now we have reached a point where the residents themselves are receiving these fines....

Clearly a money making scheme and not for the betterment of the community. 

WBC once again letting down the people.