Wilderspool Causeway Closed?

algy

Coming out of Morrison's at 1445hrs and found traffic being prevented from turning left into Wilderspool Causeway by the police, all traffic being sent through Stockton Heath, one of our neighbours said the area was crawling with police cars, anone know what was happening? :unsure:

Not a clue Algy.

Apparently all/alot of the roads into Latchford are/were closed too according to my neighbour who couldn't get home from Birchwood earlier and she said there were a lot of police about. and all roads into it seems closed.

My other half's trying to get home from Burchwood too and just rang me this second to he can't get home (a lady a the petrol station told him Kingsway is closed from near the alotments too). He was going to try the motorway too but all three lanes were at a standstill. :unsure:

I should have read the news page before posting my reply :oops:

See here Algy... theres been a a bad accident on Kingsway South involving a cyclist and a lorry :cry:

http://www.warrington-worldwide.co.uk/articles/13677/1/Man-airlifted-to-hospital-after-crash/Page1.html

doesn't explain why they aren't letting people up Wilderspool Causeway though.

....... there was an accident involving 4 cars on Wilderspool between Brian Bevan Island and Loushers Lane.

That now been now cleared and all lanes re-opened at 3.30pm according to the traffic updates so you should have shopped for a little longer Algy :wink:

....... there was an accident involving 4 cars on Wilderspool between Brian Bevan Island and Loushers Lane.

That now been now cleared and all lanes re-opened at 3.30pm according to the traffic updates so you should have shopped for a little longer Algy :wink:

Thanks for the info, Dizz.

........... let's hope we mever get a really bad accident. :roll:

:shock: OBS DID YOU READ THE NEWS LINK !!!!!!!!!!!

You might want to edit your posts so you don't seem heartless as I'd class the other accident involving a lorry and a pedal cyclist (who by the way was airlifted to hospital) as pretty damn serious.

Just to clarify there were TWO seperate accidents one on Wilderspool and one on Kingsway South.

You have got to wonder why it takes several hours to shift a mangled bike out of the road. I doubt the lorry was damaged sufficiently to render it immobile!

What about the crash investigation and the measuring of distances and everything else that needs to be done to make sure everything that could have caused the accident has been taken into account

15 minutes to take a few photos of where everything ended up and run round with a tape measure. Maximum.

It was hardly a complex, multi-vehicle pile up. Either the lorry driver didn't see the cyclist and ran right into him, or the cyclist did something silly and - predictably - came off worst.

All the necessary measuring and photographing could have been done while everyone was standing around waiting for the helicopter to arrive from god knows where. Witness statements etc could be done at the roadside after the casualty was dispatched and the traffic was flowing again.

15 minutes to take a few photos of where everything ended up and run round with a tape measure. Maximum.

It was hardly a complex, multi-vehicle pile up. Either the lorry driver didn't see the cyclist and ran right into him, or the cyclist did something silly and - predictably - came off worst.

All the necessary measuring and photographing could have been done while everyone was standing around waiting for the helicopter to arrive from god knows where. Witness statements etc could be done at the roadside after the casualty was dispatched and the traffic was flowing again.

EVERYONES AN EXPERT

EVERYONES AN EXPERT

Except, apparently, those paid to keep the traffic moving.

Or maybe they're afraid that if people realise that it only needs to take minutes rather than hours to re-open a road after an accident, then we won't need as many traffic officers and they'll have to actually do some REAL policing.

Inky... you seem to forget that any accident which could sadly result in some poor person dying from their injuries (whether at the scene or later on) investigations have to be more far more thorough and they take time as they could become part of a court case or similar.

Yeah it's frustrating being suck in a jam but at least those of us who get stuck and moan about it have got home safely in the end and in one piece.

You might be interested in this though... it should reduce traffic disruption in the event of a serious and possibly fatal accident ... although it wont stop them happening or help the anyone who is unfortunate enough to be the casualty :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-17906701

Is there any news about how the gent is ? I do hope it's not as bad as it sounds and that he's going to be OK :|

I've been to a coroners court inquest into the road death of a close friend.

The traffic officer testifying produced a hand drawn sketch which a five year old could have made in ten minutes, couldn't tell from his notes whether the measurments he'd recorded were in feet or meters, hadn't photographed anything, didn't follow up and interview witnesses whose names and addresses he'd taken at the scene (including me), didn't breathalyse the driver, and despite having measured the skid marks left by the car and knowing exactly how far she was thrown by the impact (nearly 30 feet) refused to give any estimate of the speed the car was travelling at. As a result, the speeding lunatic (possibly drunk) driver who killed her walked away scot free.

This was all after having the road closed for over four hours.

For all the traffic officers "investigation" acheived, they might as well have just zipped up the body bag, swept up the glass and re-opened the road.

I'm really sorry Inky as I had no idea that you had been through that when I replied to you.

How long ago was it (if you don't mind me asking) as I was sure that more indepth investigations were now recorded these days for those very reasons. I guess I could be wrong from what you have said.

Again, sorry and hope I've not upset you by my reply :oops:

That was back in the 90's, so quite a while ago now. But I've no reason to believe that the calibre of traffic officers has got any better since.

I've since also been less than impressed by the investigative abilities of traffic officers when I was run into from behind in broad daylight while queuing in stationary traffic at a roundabout by a BMW which turned out to be being driven by a detective sergeant in the Greater Manchester police.

The traffic officers who arrived refused to breathalyse him at the roadside despite him reeking of booze at 2 o'clock in the afternoon - and then apparently "forgot" to make him use the machine back at the station until hours later.

He wasn't even charged with careless driving - and a quick google on his name reveals that he's been involved in similar incidents - both before and since.

Highly educated and incorruptible CSI's interested only in determining the truth they ain't, and yet they all seem to have Masters Degrees in Sarcasm and PhD's in Advanced Patronising and Finger-Wagging when they catch an ordinary motorist in a minor infingement.

• Upvote 1

That was back in the 90's, so quite a while ago now. But I've no reason to believe that the calibre of traffic officers has got any better since.

I've since also been less than impressed by the investigative abilities of traffic officers when I was run into from behind in broad daylight while queuing in stationary traffic at a roundabout by a BMW which turned out to be being driven by a detective sergeant in the Greater Manchester police.

The traffic officers who arrived refused to breathalyse him at the roadside despite him reeking of booze at 2 o'clock in the afternoon - and then apparently "forgot" to make him use the machine back at the station until hours later.

He wasn't even charged with careless driving - and a quick google on his name reveals that he's been involved in similar incidents - both before and since.

Highly educated and incorruptible CSI's interested only in determining the truth they ain't, and yet they all seem to have Masters Degrees in Sarcasm and PhD's in Advanced Patronising and Finger-Wagging when they catch an ordinary motorist in a minor infingement.

Are you saying that all accidents that create gridlock are all the same? and that the traffic flow is because the police enjoy causing chaos?

I wonder who you blame for traffic hold-ups on the motorways, and find that when you are up to speed there is nothing there?

I would suggest that in this particular case, due to other incidents, that the traffic volume was very high, and even if things had been sorted more speedily, there would still have been hold-ups.

To be doubly fair, sometimes the general public don’t help when it comes to accidents.

A couple of weeks back, a very minor shunt on the Expressway in the roadwork’s near to Golden Square caused total gridlock at rush hour. Neither car showed any damage but even so, the two women involved refused to move their cars that were both straddling the road. Irate drivers were demanding they move the cars but the women insisted they have to wait for the police.

Eventually the police turned up (on foot) and the cars were immediately removed.

Bill :)

I completely agree Wolfie and I'm sure they have better things to be doing.

Perhaps these days people prefer to involve the police though so that there's and incident number or witness after all some people do tend to have a habit of suddenly putting an injury claim or changing their minds as to what actually happened for insurance purposes after the event :?