Bridge Foot and others in the 60's and 40's

Dizzy

Nice clear photo...i was knocked off my motorbike on that roundabout in the late 60's by someone in a car who was late for work.

As WD says a nice clear photo, no litter on the streets, neat grass and flower beds on the little island and a general air of tidiness, Oh! to be able to return to those times even with the obvious disadvantages.

Great clear picture MiddleC. Did you take it? If so have you got anymore of old Warrington.

I'm a little confused though as your picture looks exactly the same as the one I posted. Same person walking past a doorway on the left, same cars in the same position etc etc (without the fuzziness of course) but yours has a black and white post on the corner of the road bottom right and mine doesn't. Weird :unsure:

I think there has been some bad editing out on yours Dizzy. Not only has the black and white post gone missing but the pavement is all wrong and the doorsteps have gone missing too. Apart from that they are identical pictures. :blink:

This is like spot the differences. Just had another look and there is a man walking toward the camera on the right side, appears between the two posts, of middlec's picture but he isn't on yours. Bet he's the bugger who had it away with the missing post on yours! :lol::lol::lol:

Great clear picture MiddleC. Did you take it? If so have you got anymore of old Warrington.

I'm a little confused though as your picture looks exactly the same as the one I posted. Same person walking past a doorway on the left, same cars in the same position etc etc (without the fuzziness of course) but yours has a black and white post on the corner of the road bottom right and mine doesn't. Weird :unsure:

No, I didn't take the photo Dizzy, I think the photo was taken just a little before my time working at Winwick Road. The photos look the same apart from one or two minor differences? It is odd,

but as Cleopatra has already pointed out, for some unknown reason the post and figure on the right hand side on your print have been edited out.

Cleo you get 3 points for your observations and an extra one for identifying the culpret who stole the lamp post. :lol:

Comparing the two it definately looks edited like you both say. I feel 'dizzy' after going back and too so many times. I do edit some to enhance them if they are a bit naff, bits missing or creased etc but I certainly didn't do that to that one.

The picture I scanned was just on normal computer paper and wasn't an actual photo but it must have been in mums stuff for some years. Can't see that she would have edited it.

Not to worry as at least that has cleared up my confusion.... case of the missing lamp post solved :D

Wavy Davy. The Woolpack was the next street along. No connection with PF Ward;s who later opened the shop in Rylands street. Before that they were in Bridge street, just below Martins Bank (corner of Rylands street).

It was a good shop, and in the days after the war. Each Wednesday The Wire would put their Saturday team sheet on display and hundreds of people would make the effort to visit, in those days of having not much to do.

The principal school uniform shop was the Grand Clothing Hall in Bridge Street, close to the glorious aroma from Carters Cafe/Hodgkinson's. in the top block of that street They were cheaper than the one in Cairo street and stocked the "Utility" government brands, which were cheap and hard wearing.

All of the above are ramblings and not for anyone under pension age.

Happy days

Does that mean I cant read it Harry :cry: Too late I already did and they are definately not ramblings, I find it all really interesting :D

Re the Grand Clothing Hall was that just one shop or a hall/building full of different clothing traders :oops:

Does that mean I cant read it Harry :cry: Too late I already did and they are definately not ramblings, I find it all really interesting :D

Re the Grand Clothing Hall was that just one shop or a hall/building full of different clothing traders :oops:

The shop was in existence for many years here is a photo of it in 1908 at the top of Bridge street with Carters Cafe and Tea Rooms next door.

1908WarringtonBridgeStreetlookingtowardBridgeFoot.jpg

Some more info on the shop in Cairo street, opposite the side of the main shop/TJ Hughes. Info from a former manager at the Co-op.

Cleo identified it as another part of the Co-op menswear, which later moved into the main building. It was quite a long interior and it melted into part of the spooky co-op {I think) building and graveyard. They opened a short lived toy section in this part of the menswear building, but it was soon closed partly because it was alleged to be haunted. Apparently the staff reported strange happenings. I used to go to the Co-op youth club there and it certainly was a sombre place.

A part of the menswear building was later taken over by Barclay's bank. Another thing I didn't know was that the Co-op also owned Gay Miss in Sankey street - now long gone of course.

Happy days

• 4 weeks later...

It's interesting to see these photos, Dizzy. I have realised that Warrington is changing rapidly - I've only lived here for 12 years and have already seen some horrible 'improvements'. With this in mind I am now looking at the area with my camera and trying to record pieces of Warrington that look under threat as well as up-to-date comparisons to photos like yours.

Feel free to visit www.homewurks.co.uk and offer suggestions about how and what could be done to further my aim.

Re the Co op in Sankey Street . Does anyone remember the metal cups they used to flirt back & to between the counters & a central cash desk on a length of wire? The assistant sent your money to a cashier who sent your change & receipt back to the counter. I remember my mother always saying that the divi at Warrington was very good at half a crown in the pound!

Re the Co op in Sankey Street . Does anyone remember the metal cups they used to flirt back & to between the counters & a central cash desk on a length of wire? The assistant sent your money to a cashier who sent your change & receipt back to the counter. I remember my mother always saying that the divi at Warrington was very good at half a crown in the pound!

certainly do WD, when I went into town as a little lad with my mum it was the highlight of my day!.

They were used in all the co-op shops. It was very amusing when one stopped part way along the wire. They would get a brush and try to knock it back into movement or maybe keep tugging at the handle that sent it on it's journey in the first place with the hope that it would jog it back into action. Sometime it did continue to the cashier sat up in her little box and sometimes it slowly returned to it's starting point to be sent again with a harder tug that sent it whizzing all the way up.

Incidently some 50 years later and I still remember my momma's check number which we gave whenever we bought anything. :)

• 2 weeks later...