Bridge Foot and others in the 60's and 40's

Dizzy

Yes ,what struck me as much as anything with the loco photo was the vintage clothing the "maybe schoolboy" was wearing as he walked towards the crossing.Incidentally, was Wilderspool Rd different to the Causeway or were they one & the same?

Yes ,what struck me as much as anything with the loco photo was the vintage clothing the "maybe schoolboy" was wearing as he walked towards the crossing.Incidentally, was Wilderspool Rd different to the Causeway or were they one & the same?

No not the same WD, Wilderspool Road started by the junction with Knutsford Rd at Bridge Foot and went as far as the railway crossing, then on the other side of the crossing Wilderspool Causeway started and went as far as the swing bridge by Stockton heath.

Thanks Algy :D For some reason I always thought the Grand was in the centre of town somewhere :oops:

Maybe if I'd looked at my pics more closely I wouldn't have asked the question..... This building says 'Grand' on the front and you can see the crossing in the background :oops::lol:

Grand.jpg

You mentioned Arpley Sataion ealier Algy and here's a picure of it in 1957. Where abouts was it ? :oops:

Copyofarpleystation1957.jpg

and here is Latchford Station in 1957 and a fuzzy one of Latchford (Loushers Lane?) Crossing (date unknown)

Copyoflatchfordstation1957.jpg

Copyofcrossingloushersln.jpg

If you go around the left side of Mr Smith's or whatever they call it now, in our day it was the Ritz cinema, and across the car park toward the railway, it was there, about where the fence of the building supplies company is, it used to be called Warrington Slate Company.

1963 Map.

arpleystation.jpg

I remember Bridge Foot looking like that and I didn't even know where Warrington was before 1974! Admittedly it was usually a lot busier during rush hours, but even I saw its quiet periods.

The other photo questioned does appear to be taken from the road next to the Lord Rodney (not far from which I remember was the Co-op Hall, which I believe was actually on Winwick Road, so Winwick Road and Winwick Street must have met at that roundabout in front of the Rodney.

Apologies to any true Warringtonians if I have got this wrong.

Like Cleo says, 'correct' and that little stretch of road running from Tesco, past the stadium and to the lord rodney island is still called Winwick Road. I only realised that the other day and think I posted at the time.

The Coop Hall was on Winwick Road where the Vauxhall Garage now is (opposite Tesco). No idea why I put that as you all know anyway but anyone know what the large building is just after the wall on the left on this photo ?

Winwick Road has certainly changed a lot since this picture and not particularly for the better in my opinion.

(post edited as for some unknown reason I typed 'street' instead of 'road'

Copyofcoophall.jpg

Edited by Dizzy
Stupid me - I typed Street instead of Road
  • Upvote 1

Like Cleo says, 'correct' and that little stretch of road running from Tesco, past the stadium and to the lord rodney island is still called Winwick Road. I only realised that the other day and think I posted at the time.

The Coop Hall was on Winwick Road where the Vauxhall Garage now is (opposite Tesco). No idea why I put that as you all know anyway but anyone know what the large building is just after the wall on the left on this photo ?

Winwick Road has certainly changed a lot since this picture and not particularly for the better in my opinion.

Copyofcoophall.jpg

Hang on! Dizz, that last photo is of Cairo Sreet off Sankey Street.

I thought it looked familiar in some way and now you mention it yes it definately does look like Cairo Stret ...:shock:

So were there two Coop Hall's then or maybe it started off here then moved to Winwick Street? :unsure:

I've no idea what date this picture is so not much help there.

Should keep you quiet and from under Mrs Algys feet for a bit though Algy :lol::wink:

Ahhh .. the 1895 Slaters Directory lists the 'Cooperative Hall' as being there. That would have been demolished when the new coop was built.

The new coop building which I was built around 1909 (ish) and can been seem here Warrington Museum Images looks to be the same 3 story height as the co-op in my pic.

So maybe they just kept an old sign or did the new coop used to have a main shopping 'hall' ?

Trust me to confuse things but it does say 'coop hall'. :lol:

Ahhh .. the 1895 Slaters Directory lists the 'Cooperative Hall' as being there. That would have been demolished when the new coop was built.

The new coop building which I was built around 1909 (ish) and can been seem here Warrington Museum Images looks to be the same 3 story height as the co-op in my pic.

So maybe they just kept an old sign or did the new coop used to have a main shopping 'hall' ?

Trust me to confuse things but it does say 'coop hall'. :lol:

The Coop built a new building on the corner of Cairo Street and Sankey Street, the final owners were TJ Hughes before they closed down and departed Warrington.

336722820_65b10c4597_o.jpg

The Coop Hall in Cairo Street I'm sure was in the basement of the shop, although I never went there myself!, probably one of the other 'wrinklies' could confirm that or otherwise. :unsure:

The photo of Cairo street is an interesting one for older people. The shop on the left was a clothiers, although the name escapes me. Fairly good class store and you often got your school uniforms from there. The graveyard came next. Inside the next building walled,, you used to get your ration books and further inside was the Co-op- youth club. Then the jewellers etc.

On the other side was the co-op shop and the lower down Cairo street part of the building used to see huge queues. It was where yo got your Co-op divi.

Happy days

The photo of Cairo street is an interesting one for older people. The shop on the left was a clothiers, although the name escapes me. Fairly good class store and you often got your school uniforms from there. The graveyard came next. Inside the next building walled,, you used to get your ration books and further inside was the Co-op- youth club. Then the jewellers etc.

On the other side was the co-op shop and the lower down Cairo street part of the building used to see huge queues. It was where yo got your Co-op divi.

Happy days

Wasn't it the Co-op bespoke tailoring dept., Harry dear? The shop on the left I mean.

And Dizzy lovie, you seem to be confusing your Winwick Street with Winwick Road as well as with Cairo Street. The Co-op Hall was on Winwick Road not Winwick Street. Hummmm, what have you been drinking then? :lol::lol::lol:

And Dizzy lovie, you seem to be confusing your Winwick Street with Winwick Road as well as with Cairo Street. The Co-op Hall was on Winwick Road not Winwick Street. Hummmm, what have you been drinking then? :lol::lol::lol:

:shock: Well spotted Cleo. I've no idea why I typed 'Street' as I know it was on Winwick Road and I even mentioned Tesco and the Vauxhall Garage. :unsure: I've corrected my posts in red now and also Algys as strangely enough he didn't notice :wink::lol: Ta :D

(post edited as for some unknown reason I typed 'street' instead of 'road'

Copyofcoophall.jpg

:blink: I don't remember Winwick Road ever looking like this. :unsure:

Yes we know it's not Winwick Road Cleo....... Have you read all the other posts since that one?

I thought it was WR simply because of the sign that said Co-op Hall. Then Algy noticed it was infact Cairo Street and so the topic progressed.

I can't change all my original post as then none of the others since will make sense will they :roll::P

Blimey it's hard work on here sometimes :lol:

Yeah, I read them all then had to go and have a lie down cos it made me confused. :lol:

Blimey Florence youv'e only just become confused, that's my normal state of mind since joining WWW or is it WW? I'm juggling with another topic with Lt at the moment regarding the Eurozone 'and me' eads' in a wirrrrl', I don't do politics normally and it's give me an ead' ache. :blink::wink::D :grin: :D

Hi Diz.

I know I am a bit late in reading this topic, but thought, if anyone is still interested, I would just add my copy of the photo of Winwick Street c.1960's that is a bit better quality than the one previous. The photo is from the start of Winwick Road pointing down Winwick St.towards Central Station. I worked for a period of time at the Co-oP main office on Winwick Rd. in the late 1960's, so knew the area quite well then, but most of it I have forgotten now. That's age for you! :P

WinwickStreetmid1960s.jpg