Weather Photography

sadako

'fumulus clouds'... I must remember that one too.

I never knew 'normal' clouds formations had names and that's another one I've learnt thanks to you Sadako. :D(when I say "learnt" all I need to do now is to try to remember them all and sound like I know what I'm on about :oops: ) Mmmmmm now there's a Dizzy a challenge failure if ever there was one :oops:

Keep them coming Dizzy and any other posters who want to contribute...if not, be and Dizzy will be 'boring' together and algy will continue to mess with our minds.

Sounds good to me :lol:

PS I thought I'd just mention that I have a sore ankle tonight. Walking a dog and looking up at the sky, rather than infront of you, is NOT a good idea.

Cheers Sadako and others BE WARNED :lol:

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh no...I think I've started something ha ha. I hope your ankle is better soon. I'm forever gazing at the sky trying to spot different cloud types...and then there is space...

Nice photos algy...I'm loving the sun set photos too.

Sorry Algy, I wasn't ignoring you but I clicked submit before I'd finished and yours are of course worthy of a seperate post rather than an edit :wink:

You seem to have been lucky at Arley today and missed the grey clouds and heavy downpour that I suddenly got caught in this afternoon near Tesco. I tried to take a photo with my mobile but it didn't come out. Yep I'm clearly becoming obsessed with something again.

Love the bottom photo (Scotland 2010) especially the reflections in the water

Everything is so much better when it's the right way up. And that is actually a rather nice landscape algy, me owld snapper, I could sit and look at that for a long time now. :wink::D

Dizzy,

The steam over Solvay looks like it is coming from Fiddlers Ferry.

...I have some more photos that I took a couple of days ago. It was really warm and sunny.

Here is my cloud hole :) This is called a fallstreak hole. It comprises of ice crystals and super-cooled water droplets (below zero degrees but still liquid). Droplets in the air can sometimes stay in liquid form until it reaches minus 30 or 40 degrees when is freezes it can drop causing the others to follow. You can see the streaks as they fall through.

IMG_4752.jpg

IMG_4749.jpg

This was taken about 10 minutes later to the right. It is debatable as to what it is. It's obviously a rainbow but not in the ordinary sense. It could either be caused by the sun shining through some ice crystals in the cirrus clouds or it could be a section of the 22 degree halo again caused by light shining through ice crystals.

IMG_4756.jpg

IMG_4760.jpg

IMG_4762.jpg

Interesting in that, earlier this year, I was taking a flight out of Manchester which was delayed because of rain falling at below zero temperatures. It doesn't actually freeze until it hits the ground, or an aeroplane wing. The particular airline has a policy of not taking off when such conditions exist. Scary :shock:

Interesting in that, earlier this year, I was taking a flight out of Manchester which was delayed because of rain falling at below zero temperatures. It doesn't actually freeze until it hits the ground, or an aeroplane wing. The particular airline has a policy of not taking off when such conditions exist. Scary :shock:

An admirable policy Asp, I would like to think all airlines had the same policy, but is sounds as if they don't. :unsure:

Great photos though, sadako.

There was an amazing sky with so many different clouds and colours around here all at the same time last night. I spotted it at about 8.40pm and it was all over just by just after 9pm.

Back of house looking roughly south

IMG_5707.jpg

IMG_5706.jpg

back of house looking roughly west

IMG_5703.jpg

IMG_5713.jpg

front of house looking roughly north

IMG_5738.jpg

IMG_5720.jpg

IMG_5717.jpg

IMG_5725.jpg

IMG_5721.jpg

front of house looking roughly east

IMG_5730.jpg

These were looking roughtly north too.

IMG_5725a-1.jpg

What is the very bright vertical orange streak in these ?? I zoomed in to try and get a closer image but they are a bit blurry (and then my batteries went. I ran in the house for new batteries, ran out again and the lovely sunset had gone in a flash ) :cry:

IMG_5723.jpg

IMG_5722.jpg

I do not know Dizzy lol. Break in the clouds with the Sun light? I'm replying to this as I'm in the audience of the X-factor. The camera is on me so if any of you watch it on tv soon as there is a person behind the judges texting, then it is me on the Warrington Worldwide Forum :)

You can't just say that Sadako... I need someone to tell me what the vertical bright squiggle is :lol::wink:

Dizz it looks like the remains of an aircraft vapour trail, incidentally while I'm on here the small UFO blips on my 'hawk' photo, I think they may be refracted light of the lens elements of my camera.

You mean the vertical squiggle near the pylon dizzy? If you do then look more closely and it will be seen that it isn't in the sky because it is in front of the wire at that point rather than behind it. :wink:

Well spotted Cleo, so there are UFO's over Warrington! :wink::D :grin:

Algy/Asp.... could have been an airline trail but I would have thought it would be straigher if it was and maybe a little more faded at each end as it dispursed. Seems odd for just a wide section of it to remain.

Your probably both right though as the only vapour trails I've ever seen are in the day time with blue skies.

Well maybe not UFO's but I wonder if Dizzy actually saw the light before taking the photo or only afterwards on the photo? :huh:

Yes I did see it before taking the picture Cleo (which is why I took it) and it was very clear to see with the naked eye :wink:

You mean the vertical squiggle near the pylon dizzy? If you do then look more closely and it will be seen that it isn't in the sky because it is in front of the wire at that point rather than behind it.

Sorry to dissapoint... but it was most definately in the sky and was in the distance behind the wire.

Here's a closer crop of the original if you don't believe me. You can just make out the wires if you look carefully. The brighness of the 'squiggle' behind the wires make them seem less prominent.

IMG_5722.jpg