Weather Photography

sadako

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can certainly post more Dizzy, if you're genuinely interested. I don't want to send anyone asleep with my weather hobby. I'll maybe post some videos too.

Yes I'm most certainly 'genuinely interested' :D Storm chasing sounds really good but we dont get many around here (i suppose I should really add 'thankfully' to that).

You've started something though as when I was out today I found myself taking pictures of blue skies and fluffy white clouds again. I had an obsession of doing that last year and uploaded a load on here :oops: I wont bore you with any more of mine from today though as once you've seen a few of my fluffy clouds they do get boring.

I suddenly feel a need for an early evening storm... black clouds... fork lightening.... and even a maybe a bit of surface flooding or better still a tornado and a better camera :lol:

Oooh do post them Dizzy. I love clouds. I took some today. I think I may have caught a rare phenomena but not sure. Just waiting for some experts to get back to me. I'll look a bit stupid if its not what I thought it was ha ha ha.

Anyway back to clouds and weather photography.

Sadako... I posted this on the forum last June (2011). We never really did find out WHY the sky and clouds were like this for a very short time. Like I said at the time I hadn't edited or changed any of the pics and this is how it was.

Any idea ??

I forgot I took these but did anyone else see the strange sky on Monday (19th Jun)

It was around 8.20pm and was very strange and like there were 4 different skies. Some areas had big rusty orange and strange looking clouds, patches of blue sky and darkness and others had fluffier and more rippled rusty orange clouds surrounded by completely bare looking skies and what looked like the sea and horizon in the distance.

It all only lasted around 20 minutes or so then all colour went.

Anyway here's a few of my photo's... none have been altered or colour changed in any way.

IMG_2722.jpg

IMG_2709.jpg

IMG_2716.jpg

IMG_2734.jpg

IMG_2733.jpg

IMG_2736.jpg

IMG_2737.jpg

IMG_2735.jpg

actual old forum topic is here Strange Sky Mon 19th June 2011 (last year)

Hi Dizzy,

By any chance was there a thunder storm before hand? Not sure if you can remember the weather that day. There a multiple reasons why clouds can appear orange but depending on the weather at the time this will help me.

No there wasn't a thunderstorm and here's what I said further down on the same old topic if it helps. Thanks

"It was a bit spooky and the clouds went dark for a very short while like there was a storm brewing then went orange and I half expected a big evil devil like creature to appear ....... "

HA HA Sid. :) :-) :rolleyes: I also took some photos of a beautiful blue sky the other day :)

They are very pretty Dizzy! Wish I had have seen it.

The reason I ask about a thunder storm because sometimes ice particles can reflect light. Another reason could be the reflection of the light as the sun is setting. Clouds can sometimes take on an orange appearance if pollutants are present. The last two are more than likely the reason. It’s all to do with the scattering of sunlight in the atmosphere. Some conditions will mean certain colours of the spectrum will be seen more than others which is why different colours can be observed in the sky. I have some photos of storms where the clouds look green where the light is scattered by ice in the clouds. That’s my understanding of it but I'm not saying I am right.

In the first two pictures, the clouds look like cumulus clouds which are dispersing and the bottom two look like altocumulus clouds. Both are normal but lovely to look at. Do you have any more?

Just to show you what wonderful colours can be produced through light rays, here are some photos of a shelf cloud approaching me in 2010. (credit for the photo goes to my friend Adam as my camera decided it was going to run out of battery power...and I am just not a good at photography as he is).

DSC_0890.jpg

DSC_0899.jpg

For you Sid - Here is our lovely summers day just to prove it's not all bad news :)

IMG_4736.jpg

The last one is Rufford Old Hall....oh the benefits of being a national trust member.

I actually turned that photo upside down. It was hurting my head. It's a wonder that the water in Australia doesn't drain away like that.

Not just me then! It was affecting my head too as I looked at it. Strange cos it's only an upside down photograph and I knew it was but it did affect my eyes and head. Think if I had looked at it much longer I could have finished up with a splitting headache. :blink::huh:

You mean through the ceiling?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Turned the photo the correct way for you sadako and Cleo, we can't have your heads hurting can we, When I looked at it after I had uploaded it I must admit it had a disorientating affect on me also. :blink:

Rufford Hall, fancy me getting that wrong!. :oops::wink::D

Thanks for the explanation for my odd sky.

The pics of the shelf cloud are amazing. I wish we had ones like that here as they must be fantastic to see in 'real' life.

I've been trawling through all my photo's and found a few more which I'll upload more later but they are rather boring in comparrison.

Not to worry as everyones used to me boring them now anyway :lol:

January 2011

The 'fluffy bunny' cloud

bunnycloud.jpg

IMG_0763.jpg

chimneycloudcopy.jpg

Sunset 29 January 2011 (not clouds that’s steam/smoke forn chimneys in Warrington)

IMG_1461.jpg

IMG_1481.jpg

Algy, me owld upsidedowner! I just went back to have a look, expecting to see a pretty scenscape and the bugger is still upside down and there is no way I'm going to stand on my head to view it! :angry::blink::D

Ooop's :oops: , sorry Florence I forgot to post the link, here it is:

Grappenhallcanalfarmland-1.jpg

Grappenhallcanalfarmland.jpg

I am liking the sunset photos. Very pretty and yes we will count them :) The smoke/steam from the factory/cooling towers do make clouds. They're called fumulus clouds. The moisture rises from the towers and condenses. It mixes with other moisture in the atmosphere and can create long lasting clouds.

Keep them coming Dizzy and any other posters who want to contribute...if not, be and Dizzy will be 'boring' together and algy will continue to mess with our minds.