Scammers

asperity

• 2 weeks later...

Just a little word of warning about a variant to the normal email scams that we’ve recently had reported from several of our customers.

Telephone calls are being made claiming to be from Microsoft who say they need to perform some vital maintenance on your PC. Follow their instructions and within a few clicks they’ll have complete access to everything on your system, including any sensitive information.

FACT. Microsoft never ever ring people in this way and any such calls especially from those with strange foreign accents should simply be ignored.

Bill :)

I was getting calls daily from these people (Indian/Pakistani accents but calling themselves Jason/Sean/Michael) saying they were from Helppconline (there is a company with that name) and that they had been told by Microsoft or Virgin that I had problems with my computer. I kept telling them I didn't believe them, and they usually ended up becoming offensive and haging up on me. The last time they called I thanked the guy for getting back to me and asked him for the security password that Virgin had given him :D . Jason (for it was him) got very flustered by this and then very offensive. Then told me that my computer was going to die within minutes before slamming the phone down. Strangely I haven't heard from them since :wink:

The same people have tried it on with my mother (they didn't get very far with her as she has difficulty remembering how to switch the machine on never mind anything else!) and a friend of mine who gave them short shrift.

The police in various forces have given out warnings about this scam.

Sounds like you really rattled him there Asp :lol:

I've only had one of those types of calls over a year ago but I know my dads had quite a few in the past.

A lady with a foreign accent at Virgin Media did take control of my pc some months back and it's very surreal watching the pc mouse opening/checking/changing folders and settings all by itself :unsure:

You have no control at all and if the person was a scammer you would be completely buggered

Sounds like you really rattled him there Asp :lol:

I've only had one of those types of calls over a year ago but I know my dads had quite a few in the past.

A lady with a foreign accent at Virgin Media did take control of my pc some months back and it's very surreal watching the pc mouse opening/checking/changing folders and settings all by itself :unsure:

You have no control at all and if the person was a scammer you would be completely buggered

You wouldn't invite a stranger into your house, don't invite a stranger into your computer.

Had one of those your pc has fault calls and had the best laugh I have had for ages.

sat and listened to them going through the spiel for the best part of five minutes then asked them which of my computers was at fault my desk top or my laptop. "well both if they are running windows". "So which version of windows is it that has the problems window 98, windows NT, windows XP,windows vista or windows 7"

several seconds of silence follows then the voice came on "er all of them" "Is that all then no other versions" "not to our knowledge" well that is ok then as I am running a version called windows ICE "we have not heard of that one" end of phone conversation.

Second time that they came on about two weeks later I asked them which version off the detection software they were using. after a lengthy bit of muttering in the background they replied version 4.3.2 "Oh that's why you are showing faults then you have the outdated version and need to get it upgraded to version 4.4.6" again end of phone conversation.

The funniest one I got was at my mothers who has difficulty using her remote let alone a computer. They were quite irate when I insisted that not only were they mistaken but that the person concerned didn't even own a mobile phone let alone a computer.

O course you could always tell them you use a macintosh and then wait for five minutes whilst they try and tell you about the problems they have found on your computer running windows. :twisted:

• Upvote 1