Bringing in dependants?

observer

Seems the Gov are talking of making it a requirement for immigrants to earn over £18k pa to qualify to bring over their family dependents. The rationale being, that this figure takes folk out of qualification of state benefits. Seems fairly logical, but - if these immigrants really want to be re-united with their families, why can't they just fly home to join them? :unsure:

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like you say Obs it does seem a logical way forward but once their kids/dependants reach a certain age over here (19 I think or ealier if they are not living with mum and dad) if they themselves can't find jobs or happen to have kids then they WILL qualify for benefits anyway.

Maybe they will just coninue to send their wages home to be spent in their home country and/or to save them until such a time that it is more cost effective to bring their families over or maybe for them to fly back to wherever.

It sort of pee's me off though as we have enough people out of work or unable to afford homes here without bringing even more over from other countries to fight for what few jobs and homes are available.

Who knows what the best way forward is but those from further afield do always seem to come out best over here in one way or another.

Ahh well such is life these days I suppose B)

Compared to many other Countries, we have a generous benefits system - they know it and are taking full advantage of our generosity or stupidity - depending on one's point of view. But it's not just benefits, but services that are consumed and paid for by British tax-payers. After the pinko liberals in the last Labour Gov had pursued an open door policy (thinking eventually that this would convert into more Labour voters); the Tories promised to radically reduce net immigration - alas, despite their rhetoric, it still remains at around a quarter of a million per year. :angry:

Suggest you liberal types Kije, are embarrassed by the state you've got us into and just want the subject conveniently swept under the carpet, so you can move on to wreck another aspect of our society - hence your fear of discussing any new initiative by Gov. :roll:

you are obviously quite happy to give our money away then Kije while we have old people dying of the cold in winter because they can't afford the heating bills...

says more about you than it does Obs I'm afraid

Old people dieing of cold is down to the government Baz, and nothing to do with immigration, that's the kind of crap argument Obs would come up with. :wink:

Maybe though if our country wasn't in the mess it was in now and the government stopped giving away chunks of what money we DO have to other countries or in benefit help to all the immigrants and all the other costs associated with them being here then there would be more money available to help our elderly people out in their time of need (many of who worked their socks off in lower paid jobs from being in their early teens).

Just saying ... that's all .....

I think the track record on pensioners, sadly goes in my favour Baz. Sadly.

And yes I agree with you Asp on the government.

To follow your football analogy from another thread....Manchester City hadn't won the title for 43 years so their track record would have said they had no chance of beating the team that had won it 19 times previously.... track records mean squat!

So sadly nothing is in your favour as usual!