Free IVF treatment ?

observer

So Nick, a Turkey baster is not just for xmas then :lol::wink:

Joking aside, I don't see why people shouldn't get help to have a baby. It must be awful to find out that, for whatever reason, you are unable to have a child and start a family of your own.

The NHS fund a lot of procedure which are not deemed a necessity to many but I must admit that I'd much prefer to see a small proportion of my taxes helping a couple have a much wanted child rather than it going to gastric band surgery and the likes.

I guess I may be slightly biased though as I know people who have been through IVF both sucessfully and unsucessfully just as I see people who have kids naturally that really should not have them.

OUCH... that last bit sounds awful, sorry :oops:but sadly it is true so I wont bother deleting it and trying to make myself sound less heartless and callous

'freindly' Cleo ? Were you getting confused and did you mean fiend'ly' :lol::P

I think the OBS would make an very interesting neighbour and good to have around at say a BBQ for late night banter and putting the world to rights after a few drinks (or even after no drinks for that matter) :lol:

Still waiting on your response to #20 on that distinction, obs.

Or, you could, y'know, just ignore it....

Inky - scarey as they are, the stats in that link are general and will include people suffering from depression as a result of not being able to procreate naturally. When you're talking about a specific subset of couples (around 20%) at a particular time in their lives, then there's going to be a spike.

And, if you think that £200k over 18 years or so (I'd argue with that figure, btw), compared with £12k on the spot is small potatoes, then I think you may be one of those posters here who doesn't live in the real world.

I admire your EARNING POWER though.

Nick - TURKEY BASTER. LOL!!!!!

!

if you think that £200k over 18 years or so (I'd argue with that figure, btw), compared with £12k on the spot is small potatoes, then I think you may be one of those posters here who doesn't live in the real world.

Funnily enough, £200K spread over 18 years or so works out at just over £11K per year.

So at course of IVF - which takes about a year - costs almost EXACTLY the same as raising a child would for that same year.

If you can afford the latter, then you most definitely CAN afford the former!

Here's an idea.

If prospective parents want the state to give them a child via adoption or fostering they are first required to go through a lengthy procedure involving training, mentoring, CRB checks, financial checks, health checks, lifestyle checks, and a whole load of other tests designed (supposedly) to ensure that they will make good parents. The procedure is so long and intrusive that it's no wonder there is a massive shortage of potential adopters and foster parents.

Why shouldn't prospective parents who want the state to give them a child via funded IVF have to first go through the same thing?

Surely failure to do so could potentially leave the NHS open to negligence claims if they give IVF to a couple who end up neglecting or abusing their child

Surely failure to do so could potentially leave the NHS open to negligence claims if they give IVF to a couple who end up neglecting or abusing their child

Inky.... has Obs taken control of your PC???

We tried for 11 years after we got married to have a child naturally and although the practice was fun, it just never happened. This is the case with a majority of childless couples who opt for IVF; they don't just try once and then go down that route. Parents/potential parents who have to go down the IVF route to have a baby have already passed all of those checks in bucketloads..... parents who go down the IVF route have tried everything and for many years in order to have a child and are prepared to sacrifice money, jobs, even homes in order to have a child.

Unlike the childless 17 year old who gets pregnant by some tanked up chav while dropping her knickers behind the ring o'bells on a saturday night, IVF couples may get a few grand in assistance, but these are invariably parents who are working and have the means to support their kids once they are born; not to rely on the state for everything thereafter

Most couples sacrifice things financially too....as I said previously, I have my oldest son who was naturally conceived and my youngest who was IVF....it cost me many thousands of pounds for the latter and he is the most wanted and loved child you would meet..... compare that to one who was conceived whilst drunk and not wanted or cared for by either the father or the mother and is nothing but a financial burden on society for the rest of his life.... I know what I would choose to fund as a taxpayer