Cost of clean energy?

On that basis Kije - "why do anything"? With asteroids, super-volcanos, earthquake generated tsunamis and of course a shift in the warming N/Atlantic current due to Polar ice melt - we could all put our heads between our legs and kiss our a**s goodbye! :wink: The point of esturary barriers, is to counter tidal surges, which with much of London having been built in the flood plain, is the reason for the Thames barrier. But; aside from preventative action, like NOT building in flood plains and moving settlement to higher elevations: we should be looking at two (or three or more) benefits for our capital investment. EG: Esturary barriers - 1) labour intensive employment. 2) harnessing tidal energy. 3) provision of estury road crossings. As for the technology: British Companies are amongst the leaders in developing "green", water based tidal, wave and current energy generation; knowledge and expertise we can export and start earning that essential foreign currency to start balancing our books. :roll:

No they don't, the "Greenies" say it's dirty because of the mining of raw materials, storage of waste and high risk nature of its production.

Costs are a different issue altogether, which you are completely ignoring: do you have any idea of how much public money has been spent on research, development, maintenance and production of nuclear energy?

And of course the windmills just grow on the completely natural "windmill trees", in the same forest as the "magic money trees" where politicians get their money from. The production of these monstosities cause more damage from mining the rare earths necessary for the generators, and the production of the concrete used in their building. And if all this public money has been spent on research and development of nuclear power (which is a viable source of clean and reliable electricity) why throw it all away and spend vast amounts on windmills which are not a viable source of reliable electricity?

We are being led up the garden path by these ecoloons who won't be happy until we're all living in caves eating roots and berries :evil: :evil: :evil:

(They won't be though, because ecoloonery doesn't apply to them, only the plebs)

with the current overcrowding of prison and the light sentences given out by the judiciary maybe if we make community service consist of pedal cycles connected to generators and all the convicted made to do three hours on two off and then three on again generating electric.

will tick three boxes.

1) really clean energy and renewable

2) will give out some meaningful punishment

3) might even deter some from re-offending

8):twisted:

The only power source capable of meeting our expanding energy needs at the moment is nuclear, wind power will never come close, we do not have enough suitable sites for wave energy as you need a great tilde flow such as the Severn eatery. And we are now dependent on other countries for coal and people will not be willing to pay for the cost of restarting our own coal fields, as we shut them and allowed them to flood instead of moth balling them. Like it or not we have no choice but go down the nuclear route, I just wish the government would be more honest about it get off the fence and tell people.

The west coast of Scotland has one of the world's stongest currents - ideal for under water turbine generators. Any tidal flow will have sufficient power to move a generator fan, so ideal for all esturies. Despite the hose pipe ban, we still get rained on sufficiently to create more resevoirs and hydro-electric generation and store water at the same time. As for our thousand years of coal: it's not necessary to re-open the pits; several sites are already quarrying coal by surface extraction. As for nuclear - the commisioning and de-commissioning costs are astronomical; and they still havn't solved the problem of where to safely store a thousand years worth of radio active contamination. However, the Gov claim to be pursuing all options (not putting all their eggs in one basket), which seems wise; and I agree - they need to be getting on with it asap. :wink:

aspers:

re #30.

Steady on fella, I did say earlier that any energy production necessarily implies some level of, er, dirt, to a greater or lesser degree: can we at least agree on that?

I don't particularly resent public money being spent on nuclear power, though I do resent private energy companies making a profit from publicy funded subsidies.

I'm just weird that way.

There are very few sites, in thre Uk, for wave power, Obs, As power stations have to be near population centres, electricity does not travel well, alot of energy is lost in the grid just moving it to where we need it., The west coast of Scotland does not have the population to warrant the investment, and as I said electricity does not travel well, that's why you find power stations near the population centres.

Power transmutation is not very efficient.

As for hydro, the same applies, not many places near population to put it, and transmittion problems.

As I said before coal would be very expensive as we do not mine enough coal for our needs, We would have to re open old coal mines which we shut, The coal mined would be very expensive due to the costs of re opening old flooded fields, it would be cheaper to import it, carbon capture is good but not good enough if the UK was to go completely back to coal. The only way at the moment is nuclear, as it is the only source that can deliver are energy need entirlely. at a cost we could bare.

Have we not had this conversation before, nothing has changed sinse you failed last time, with coal

That's your opinion: the opinion of experts in these technologies appears to differ, hence current programmes for pursuing a range of alternatives. As I said, nuclear will cost an arm and a leg and pass on a waste disposal issue for our g/kids to sort out. :roll:

Population of Norway 4,691,849 (July 2011 est.)

Population of Paraguay 5,734,139

Population of UK 65,000,000

How many dams would we need :shock:

Population of China = 1,338,299,512 and produces 25% of its electricity via hydro electrics.