1. Appleton, Stretton,Arley.Budworth & Whitley, etc.

algy

Many of these photograph’s may be available

from the Warrington Museum/Library and will

be of far superior quality to those viewed here.

Anyone having any issue with the displaying

of these photographs due to copyright or

ownership infringement please contact me either by PM.

or through the Moderators and I shall

remove them immediately.

The base is all that remains of Appleton Cross.

AppletonCrossBase1900.jpg

Appleton bonfire preparation.

Appletonbonfire.jpg

Appleton "Bellfields"

Appleton-Bellefields.jpg

Appleton Cross.

AppletonCross.jpg

Appleton Denna.

AppletonDenna.jpg

Appleton Dingle Lane.

AppletonDingle.jpg

Appleton Golf Pavillion (now Warrington Golf Club)..

AppletonGolfPavillion.jpg

Appleton Hall Front Driveway Entrance.

AppletonHallFrontDrivewayEntrance.jpg

Appleton Hall Front.

AppletonHallFront.jpg

Appleton Hall South View.

AppletonHallSouthView.jpg

Appleton Cross used to be at the junction of Cann Lane. Is that where the photo is?

Also, where is Appleton Dinna? It looks as if it is at the bottom of Doods Lane. (Wright's Green).

Peter, I can't find any reference to 'Denna' anyware and it may just be a local name

I think your probably correct as to where it is, by Doods "Dingle" bridge over Doods stream.

Appleton Cross Cann Lane, I believe so.

Another photo showing cows by "Doods Brook" also titled "Denna Dingle", perhaps anyone from Appleton who was brought up in the locality seeing this may put us right!.

AppletonDennaDinglewithaninterestedspectator.jpg

Hi,

The Denna Dingle is part of the Lumb Brook valley(Dale Lane to Appleton Thorn) , one of the photo's looks like it was taken at about 300 yards from piggynut hill,

Best regards

Gaz, thanks for that information, any chance of indicating where "piggynut hill" was.

Oooh when I clicked on that it opened up my Adobe photoshop and opened the image as if it was my own pic on my pc. Maybe it's cos it is an attached /BMP rather than .jpeg. Not to worry.....

Am I right in thinking that the arrow for Piggynut Hill points to the steep slope in the Dingle where it was a little more open by the stream and where the rope swing always used to be for many years. I spent many a happy day there as a youngster and the rope swing (well a similar one) was still there when our lad was young. I wonder if there is still one there today?

I don't suppose that makes sense though unless you all have played on the rope swing there :oops:

Oooh when I clicked on that it opened up my Adobe photoshop and opened the image as if it was my own pic on my pc. Maybe it's cos it is an attached /BMP rather than .jpeg. Not to worry.....

Am I right in thinking that the arrow for Piggynut Hill points to the steep slope in the Dingle where it was a little more open by the stream and where the rope swing always used to be for many years. I spent many a happy day there as a youngster and the rope swing (well a similar one) was still there when our lad was young. I wonder if there is still one there today?

I don't suppose that makes sense though unless you all have played on the rope swing there :oops:

We played in 'Dingley Dell' as we called it but until Gaz said I never knew it was Piggynut Hill, I suppose the "piggy nuts" were the acorns off the old oaks, that's what the farmers fed to their pigs.

We had a saying about the Dingle.

There was a Hell of smell in Dingley Dell,

The pixies were washing there socks tonight.

Were those the same pixies that hid under the little wooden 'bridge' Algy :wink:

Dingly Dell? Piggy Nut Hill? Denna Dingle? Appleton Denna?

I'd never heard of any of these before this topic but it has all certainly brought back many a happy memory of the Dingle for me. Rope swings, stickleback fishing, paddling in the stream bare footed (probably not a good idea), laughing and giggling with cousins and friends...rolling down the hills, and not a care in the world... just having FUN.

Sometimes I think that kids of today are missing out on an awful lot of the simpler things in life that make such happy and long lasting memories.

Anyone fancy building a rope swing tomorrow and going for a paddle in the stream armed with a fishing net made from a coat hanger and a bit of yer mums old tights.... I guess that's probalbly a 'No' :cry:

Dizzy! Just watch out for the men from the Health and Safety Executive coming for you. Kids aren't allowed to have fun if there's a chance they may hurt themselves. You should know that. Come to that, I think it's also true for adults these days as none of us can be trusted to think for ourselves.