Worst town

wolfie

Well,i must say, i went into town yesterday & if i was a first time visitor i would be reluctant to return.All the way from Sandy Lane to Central Station is not very pleasing on the eye with demolition & deriliction all around.Bridge Street looks bad with all the to let/for sale signs. WBC needs to get its act together pretty quickly before the appearance of our towns main thoroughfares destroys the place.

Only 4 year Baz ?

If memory serves me right the exception is actually 6 years as Labour were actually ousted on 5 May 2006.

Not being picky or anything but a certain local issue where one of the locally listed building around here got approved for demolition is sort of etched in my mind <_<

Labour actually refused it but then lost their control... so the two faced Lib Dems managed to get control by joining with the cons and it got approved when they took over power (not that it should have been allowed to be resubmitted of course without changes and there was also a warning on the first decision night that any refusal would be FINAL and COULD NOT be overturned according to the 'officer in charge' at the time. )

The very same officer was still in favour of demolition and he/they got their way.... APPROVED :evil:

We still have no Heritage Ofiicer in Warrington, past ones have mostly been a waste of time and quite simply anything old is clearly in the way and needs to be got rid of :evil:

Hey Algy, Harry, Cleo etc etc... you'd better all be careful :lol::P:wink:

:lol::lol: Sorry Peter, for some reason I always think of you as being more like a troublesome teenager rather than an oldie... oops sorry I of course don't mean oldie, I mean someone of more mature years and experience (although a bit like a teenager in the sense that both think they know it all)

I'M KIDDING!!!!! AND I'M ALREADY WEARING MY HARD HAT, BODY ARMOUR, SHIN PADS, BREATHING APARATUS AND EVERYTHING ELSE TO KEEP ME ALIVE :huh::shock::unsure::lol::wink::P

PS all those smilies were for Fugs 'benefit' too B)

• 2 weeks later...

OK so this topic has sort of gone off track a bit but just thought I'd mention that the 2 people involved in the 'theft' of the plaque have now apologised and have received their punnishments.

Front page news tonight (4.30 pm) http://www.warrington-worldwide.co.uk/articles/13559/1/Bombing-memorial-thieves-say-sorry/Page1.html

Personally I think they both got off very lightly indeed (especially the older bloke) but I think I understand why.

Readers may be interested in this report in toaday's Independent:-

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/why-warringtons-good-news-is-bad-for-bradford-7936424.html

"

As the last century dawned, the citizens of Warrington, Preston and Swindon were some of the poorest and least skilled in the United Kingdom.

Today their areas are among the country's top economic success stories, thanks to good transport links and a drive to diversify away from the heavy industries that flourished in the 19th century."

Regards

Rod

Rod.... that is an interesting story. The transport links they talk about are the main motorways; but these are now beginining to clog up with traffic and at the end of the piece in the independant, the chief executive of Centre for Cities states: "If our cities are to deliver the growth we need in the future, the lesson from the last century is that government needs to invest in skills and infrastructure now."

so by that statement, is she advocating the building of more railways, roads and bridges or is she talking about more cycle lanes?

Readers may be interested in this report in toaday's Independent:-

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/why-warringtons-good-news-is-bad-for-bradford-7936424.html

"

As the last century dawned, the citizens of Warrington, Preston and Swindon were some of the poorest and least skilled in the United Kingdom.

Today their areas are among the country's top economic success stories, thanks to good transport links and a drive to diversify away from the heavy industries that flourished in the 19th century."

Regards

Rod

Is there a danger of comparing early 20th century apples with 21st century oranges - is the earlier "Warrington" the same entity as that now referrred to as "Warrington" or does the current one include areas that weren't included as "Warrington" in 1901?

I think one of the problems is that, instead of having the one town centre, you finish up with a few town shopping centres which have to be accessed by car because of the frailties of public transport & once you get people into shopping by car it is hard to get them out of the habit so the roads get more congested.It doesn't help though when the Trafford centre is probably just as easy to get to for the car borne population as it is to get into the town centre.