The plot to topple a King -

observer

Interesting prog last night about Edward VIII: seems he was an OK guy and 50 years ahead of his time. Problem arose when he fell in love with Mrs Wallace Simpson, an American divorcee - which upset the establishment ("the old gang") led by Cosmo Gordon Lang, the Archbishop of Canterbury, who determined to oust him as King. Seems there was a solution, which was tried later with another Prince of Wales - keep the woman you love on as a mistress, but marry an appropriate blue blooded mare for the production of a heir and a spare! :wink:

One of the complaints by Archbishop Lang and Co, was the fact that Edward didn't attend Church very often; niether was he a fan of expensive pomp and ceremony. As I said, he seemed 50 years ahead of his time, and could have modernised the monarchy 50 years ago; now we'll have to wait for Wills and Kate to do it. :wink:

I could be wrong, but did she not become a catholic when she got married, not sure which one.

I think you're mistaken there. Nothing I've read about her has her religion as anything other than, as Mary says, Episcopalian. The question has been asked on the internet, but the answer seems to be no. :wink:

A good deal of "the establishment" at that time would have happily become part of the Third Reich; just has they've been happy to become part of the Fourth Reich (the EU). But Monarchs no longer lead their peoples into wars, they get shipped over to the safety of Canada, if the worst got to the worst. :wink: :wink:

That was Ed's brother George VI: for whom they had a destroyer on standby in Scotland ready to take them to Canada, IF the Germans had invaded. You don't imagine for one sec that they would have stayed here do you? I don't think any of the European monarchs or their Governments, stayed in their countries when the Krauts took over. :roll: :roll: Part of the rationale behind having a Royal Yacht later, was to provide a safe exit for Queenie, in the event of an imminent nuke attack. The yacht used the shelter of the lochs of W/Scotland, just in case. :huh:

The King of Denmark choose to stay in the Country when the Germans invaded, he used to ride a horse round the capital, to show he had not abandoned his people, much to the Germans discust. I thought you new about WW2 Obs. :wink:

Your favourite royal on the other hand, abandoned his post in France, ran to Spain against orders, then went to Portugal where he went to parties organised by fascists, and then went on to Portugal before the British cought up with him. :wink:

Wow - Kije finds ONE monarch to prove a point! So what about the kings/queens of Belgium, Holland, Norway; plus the Governments in exile incl the Czechs and the Poles? :roll: As for Ed, he was no longer King, and was eventually posted to Govern the Bahamas, to safeguard against being put back on the throne by the Krauts! :wink: :wink:

The King of Belgium surrendered his troops to the Germans Obs, and stayed in the Country.

Ed was sent to the Bahamas to keep him away from the Germans and any intelligence that he might of past on. You seem to be bait wavy on your WW2 history Obs.

The Polish government were invited by Churchill, they also brought many troops who fought in the 8th army in the Desert, and they had a parachute regiment that went in on the Arnem raid, plus all the pilots that fought in the battle of Britain. :wink:

Whoops you've found another King, which gives you a pair! Can't see why "being invited by Churchill" makes any difference, the Polish Gov still came here for safety; not that Churchill did them any favours in the end; selling them out to Stalin and banning them from the VE DAY parade. As for Ed; he was forced to abdicate in 36, so can't quite see his relevence to WW2. :roll: