MPs Salary

asperity

But we have too many managers and not enough grass roots staff in most organisations. NHS comes to mind!

Are investment bankers worth more than MPs? Should plumbers be paid more than nurses? Who should decide?

The Centre for Alternative Technology pays all staff a fixed salary,regardless of their role. Is that a possibility? Perhaps we should force everyone to accept ?10k a year, regardless of the job they do?

What suggestions do you have for running the country without the MP/Parliamentary system?

Serious suggestions please!

Don't think anyone has suggested having zero politicians; just less of them, with their pay and conditions set by an independent body. :roll: As for pay rates in general; the market system works on the basis of supply and demand; pop singers and footy stars are paid obscene amounts because of fans and the media obsession with celebrity. :roll: If pay were decided according to one's value to society as whole; celebs would be on family credit! :shock::wink:

I'm really pleased you agree that Lib Dem MPs have more integrity! :)

They might have more integrity (Althiough they are politicians and as such are in it for their own ends; regardless of party colour!!) there are just less of yours to worry about than the other parties!

Don't think anyone has suggested having zero politicians; just less of them, with their pay and conditions set by an independent body.

Or better still an established payscale, never sure how independent, independent is, they can be influenced by public opinion etc can they not. :wink:

Interesting revelations in the release of info on MPs second homes expense claims:- what I found intriguing wasn't so much the ?10k claim by Bliar for a new kitchen, but the ?15 claimed by Gordon Brown for light bulbs - how tight, how petty can these folk get?! :roll::wink:

Methinks a citizen's jury, drawn from all walks of life; would tend to apply some fair rules for MPs; which by the nature of their fairness would prove to be austere. :wink:

They did something like that on TV, and actually they gave MPs a pay rise and slashed the "expenses", seemed fair to me. As you know I have no problems with paying people well for doing / trying to do, a decent job, it's all the secretive payments that I object to....and always have done from my business days.

Not that they will do it; but perhaps Brown could redeem himself and politics generally; if he were to embark on an austerity programme, starting with a root and branch reform of our political institutions, payments and conditions - and bring our governance into the 21st century. :roll::wink: