Liverpool House.

algy

Does anyone remember back in 1940's/50's a shop in Green Street, Bank Quay by the name of 'Liverpool House' I believe it was a general store or greengrocers, looking for the name of the person who owned it, also a pub called 'The Green Man'. :unsure:

The green man, a little pub in green street just before lovely lane, gone now!

Shoot, my momma used to send me on the bus all the way to the greengrocer's shop in Green Street for a weeks supply of vegetables. Ruddy shopping bag would be heavier than me and the reason why my arms are 18 inches longer than anyone elses!

(I just made that bit up) :wink::lol:

Not sure I actually understand the relevance of the picture but funny all the same :lol:

I've never heard of the 'Liverpool House' or the 'Green Man' Pub though Algy. Would they have been around in 1911 as I can check the census records for that area in a jiff when I've finished what I'm upto if you like.

Oddly enough I was looking at old maps of the Green Street area last week. I don't suppose you have any old pics of it or even the other nearby roads such as Garibaldi Street, Edelsten Street and the surrounding area do you :D

Not sure I actually understand the relevance of the picture but funny all the same :lol:

I've never heard of the 'Liverpool House' or the 'Green Man' Pub though Algy. Would they have been around in 1911 as I can check the census records for that area in a jiff when I've finished what I'm upto if you like.

Oddly enough I was looking at old maps of the Green Street area last week. I don't suppose you have any old pics of it or even the other nearby roads such as Garibaldi Street, Edelsten Street and the surrounding area do you :D

Hiya! Dizz! the relevance of the picture refers to Cleo having to carry heavy bags of shopping for her mum from the shop in Green street, explaining why she has excessively long arms (although I'm sure she hasn't) and Wolfie being Wolfie picked up on it.

I don't think the name of the shop would have been 'Liverpool House' in 1911 although as a shop it would have existed, might be worth a look.

I only have the one photo of Green street showing shops on the opposite side of the street from the shop named 'Liverpool house' and here it is;-

It actually appeared in the Bank Quay section at the start of this series.

1890sGreenstreetBankQuay.jpg

WOW! That street had changed a lot by the time I knew it. The bus stop used to be right outside a sweet shop (possibly the one in the pic) and I used to take a chance and go in to buy some sweets while waiting for the bus on my way home from school and, dammit, sometimes the bus would arrive while Iwas being served and I would miss it and have to wait for what seemed like a lifetime for the next one. But, yes, The Green Man and the greengrocer's shop were on the opposite side. :D

The green man was one of my paternal grandfathers and fathers haunts (when he was younger that is, my father not my grandfather, ooh confusing myself now).

My grandfather used to live in Garibaldi street and for years as a kid ( before I got education) I used to wonder why they had named a street after a biscuit. :oops: :oops: