1. Stockton Heath Area.

algy

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blimey Algy... surely you have figured out by now that you are my great great grandad once removed. I thought you were supposed to be good at this sort of thing, it's hardly rocket science going back that far :roll:

Cleo, I don't think we are realted but you are much harder to trace as you're clearly from way before the first 1841 census and you are sort of foreign too so I don't have access to that :lol:

....... WHO'S GOT THAT TIN HAT... QUICK !!!!

Blimey Algy... surely you have figured out by now that you are my great great grandad once removed. I thought you were supposed to be good at this sort of thing, it's hardly rocket science going back that far :roll:

Cleo, I don't think we are realted but you are much harder to trace as you're clearly from way before the first 1841 census and you are sort of foreign too so I don't have access to that :lol:

Cleo! it's time we combined forces. :lol: :lol: :lol:

You need it too! Rocket coming over! :angry::blink::huh::D

Algy. Thankyou so much for the Stockton Heath series of photographs. Even though some are way before my time they still bring back some real memories. We lived in Pepper St, Appleton Thorn until early in 1960 when we moved to Ellesmere Rd. I went to St Thomas' School and can remember Caldwells Spadeworks behind the school. We then moved to the grocers shop at 78 Walton Rd in 1963. there's a photo of that in the series. The shop was subject of a compulsary purchase order about 1969, along with the first house on Whitefield Road to widen the road at the junction. It didn't make a lot of difference. I'm home this next weekend, and as always, I'll spend a bit of time wandering round all my old haunts.

Algy. Thankyou so much for the Stockton Heath series of photographs. Even though some are way before my time they still bring back some real memories. We lived in Pepper St, Appleton Thorn until early in 1960 when we moved to Ellesmere Rd. I went to St Thomas' School and can remember Caldwells Spadeworks behind the school. We then moved to the grocers shop at 78 Walton Rd in 1963. there's a photo of that in the series. The shop was subject of a compulsary purchase order about 1969, along with the first house on Whitefield Road to widen the road at the junction. It didn't make a lot of difference. I'm home this next weekend, and as always, I'll spend a bit of time wandering round all my old haunts.

Pleased your enjoying them TSW, there will be some on Appleton eventually and the Dingle, may bring back a few memories for you!. :wink:

There are approx. 100 plus photos of the Stockton Heath Area, consequently there will be at least 10 batches of 10 photos.

I'm expecting someone to ask who 'Jimmy Swinton' is, I may as well say now, I have not got a clue, so if anyone knows, or Jimmy's family sees this topic, please inform us!.

1860. Stockton Heath, The Square with 'Jimmy Swintons' Cottages to the right.

1860StocktonHeathTheSquarewithJimmySwintonsCottages.jpg

1862 or earlier in the village centre.

1862Stocktonheathvillagecentre.jpg

Re the above two photo's and subsequent comments and confusion re Jinny/Jimmy etc a little more info (ok so call me slow)..... :D

I know why I thought/think they were called Jinny Swintons Cottages Algy and I've not gone mad and dreamt it after all (...mmmm maybe the jury are still out on that one though in all reality :blink::lol: )

The cottages are mentioned in an old book I have which I came across today whilst having a sort out of my boxes and cupboards.

The book was written by the Reverend Tom Kenny (c1989). He was apparently the vicar of St Thomas' Church from 1986 and his book is titled 'Stockton Heath, Pictures From the Past'. He was born in Ireland according to the preface and he clearly had a love for the local history of his Parish of Stockton Heath. It's a lovely book all about Stockton Heath and I particularly like his statement where he says 'A community without a history is like a man without a memory'.

I'm rambling again sorry...

Re your first picture.

There is a similar photo in the book and the Rev. Kenny's text states

that

"the four cottages were built on land owned by the Edgerton-Warburton Family of Arley Hall. They were known as "Jinny Swinton's" after the lessee. Next to them on the left can be seen the old Church Institute which served as St Thomas' Church Hall until it's demolition in 1916. In the centre is a the tree planted for the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria in 1897."

I can't see a copyright on the book so I've just scanned another photo of the cottages from it. For some reason it hasn't come out very well though but there are three pics in total and like I say all references in the book say 'Jinny Swintons Cottages'.

Clearly the author could have been mistaken or read the photo title wrong though so I'm not saying for one minute you are wrong Algy or that I am right, I'm just glad I know where I heard the name Jinny Swinton from :blink:

Note... there is mention that a lot of the pictures in his book came from the Warrington Museum and Library's vast collections so if I am indeed infringing any form of copyright by scanning and uploading this please contact me through the forum and I will of course remove it immediately.

JinnySwintonscottages1-1.jpg

Forgive me if you have already uploaded this picture Algy from you own collection and I have missed it.... I'm thinking of changing my screen name to “Scarecrow” anyway :blink:

Jane's on the Tithe Maps too, in 1847 listed as owner of 6 cottages along with the Egerton chap. Wonder why she's the owner and not her husband, I assume that would've been quite unusual at the time. He's alive on the 1851 Census so she's not a widow.

Perhaps they had a fall out. :wink:

I never thought of looking at the Tithe maps durh :oops: Nice one Tracey :wink:

I just had a look. Like you say Jane Swinton does part own the land (with 'Rowland Eyes Egerton Warburton) and she was an occupier of one of the cottages too. The 6 occupiers according to the title map were Bolton, Thomas Goulden, Henry Holfield, Joseph Holfield, Ellen Pearson & Jane Swinton. Jane was the 'Lessee'.

Jane Swinton (and R E E W) also owned the large plot of land next to, and behind, the cottages. This was croft/pasture and Jane was the Lessee of that too.

Obviosuly you know all that already Tracey but thought I;d put it anyway incase anyone else is interested.

ANYWAY....

I've looked at the census for 1851 and 1861 but I can't see Jimmy with his mum Jane. Are you sure about that ?

There is a Jane (born 1786) who is shown on the 1851 census as 'head' and 'unmaried' living on Northwich Road, Appleton, occupation 'Annuitant'.

She's still there on the 1861 census although shown as Stockton Heath then. (A Goulden still likes neardy too)

I personally think this unmaried Jane is more likely to be our 'Jinny' Swinton the land owner and lessee.

Happy to be told I'm wrong though, but I don't think I am.. but then again.

PS on the 1861 census showing my Jane theres a blummin' John and Ann Bennett and their two kids living 5 houses from her. Why doesn't that suprise me :lol::lol::wink:

Ok.. bit more useless info (based on my unmaried Jane b 14 Aug 1786 and she seems to have died in 1870 age 84 and was buried at Grappenhall).

I am pretty convinced now that this one is Jinny from the cottages :blink:

Her parents were Thomas Swinton, a Yeoman Farmer (b1754) and Anne Bennett (b1757) <_<

She was one of 11 children (quite a lot were farmers) and I recon this Jane/Jinny should be in your tree Tracey as I've just tied this unmarried one in with my other half's tree :shock:

Ok.. bit more useless info (based on my unmaried Jane b 14 Aug 1786 and she seems to have died in 1870 age 84 and was buried at Grappenhall).

I am pretty convinced now that this one is Jinny from the cottages :blink:

Her parents were Thomas Swinton, a Yeoman Farmer (b1754) and Anne Bennett (b1757) <_<

She was one of 11 children (quite a lot were farmers) and I recon this Jane/Jinny should be in your tree Tracey as I've just tied this unmarried one in with my other half's tree :shock:

This post is starting to 'smack' of nepotism. :wink::D :grin:

Hey it's not my fault Algy... :P I never botherd looking at my other half's tree in detail as one of his relations spent years doing it so nowt to do with me .....

It's your fault for posting the pic of Alderman Arthur Bennett stood on the roof ..... and Tracey's fault too for being related to the whole of Warrington and if her Bennett's hadn't kept popping up everywhere on here, and if she hadn't posted a link (when I was looking for Alderman Arthur Bennett from MY mums tree), then I wouldn't have then spotted my other half's dad and grandparents on the same link then I wouldn't have noticed all his Bennetts .... or done a lot of other things for that matter :lol:

Have to admit I did v quick and dirty check this morning before work so I didn't look into things all that deeply. It was just convenient that Jane and Jimmy were already sitting there on my tree!

Yes Dizzy, Anne Bennett is one of mine. She's the errant sister I found on Algy's link and tied the Swinton's to my tree. She's one of the rather large Bennett dynasty, my link is through her brother Richard who is my 6x great Grandfather. How have you tied her into your tree?