1. Stockton Heath Area.

algy

There are approx. 100 plus photos of the Stockton Heath Area, consequently there will be at least 10 batches of 10 photos.

I'm expecting someone to ask who 'Jimmy Swinton' is, I may as well say now, I have not got a clue, so if anyone knows, or Jimmy's family sees this topic, please inform us!.

1850's. Hamblett's Smithy in what is now West Avenue. The Hamblett family originally owned a smithy at Acton Grange.

1850sStocktonHeathHamblettsSmithyinwhatisnowWestAvenue.jpg

1860. Stockton Heath, The Square with 'Jimmy Swintons' Cottages to the right.

1860StocktonHeathTheSquarewithJimmySwintonsCottages.jpg

1860's Horsebus on a cold winters day at Stockton Heath Square.

1860sHorsebusinwinteratStocktonHeathSquare.jpg

1862 or earlier in the village centre.

1862Stocktonheathvillagecentre.jpg

1870's. Early photo of a Horsebus in London Road which is little more than an unpaved country road.

1870sStocktonHeathearlyphotographofahorsebusinanunpavedLondonRd.jpg

1870's. The Village Milkman in London Road, now that's what I call a 'Pot hole'.

1870sStocktonHeath-TheVillageMilkmaninLondonRoad.jpg

1890's. Stockton Heath Grappenhall Road. 'Jimmy Swintons' Cottages.

1890sStocktonHeathGrappenhallRdJimmySwintonsCottages.jpg

1894. London Road was realigned to pass over the new bridge, the original route of the road is to the left of the bridge.

1894StocktonHeathLondonRoadwasrealignedtopassoverthenewbridge.jpg

1897. Flags and bunting out in London Road to celebrate Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee.

1897StocktonheathLondonRoadfromVictoriaSquare.jpg

1900. Horsebus in what appears to be London Road.

1900HorsebusatStocktonHeath.jpg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To see that picture of the bridge is amazing I used to play around there as a kid, as I lived on Mitchell St.

Hi! Jean and welcome to the WW forum, I hope you enjoy the photos, there seems to be a bit of a mix up with your avatar though as the picture showing on your post is the same as another of our members, 'RingoDave, uses, I'm sure Dizzyor Pete will soon sort it for you. :wink::D .

Flags and bunting out in London Road to celebrate Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee.

Is that the old Mull on the right?

No Gazz that is the old Post Office the old Mull is off picture, the photo of the village milkman shows a sign on the wall of the old Mull (left of picture) before the old Post office was built.

I'm expecting someone to ask who 'Jimmy Swinton' is, I may as well say now, I have not got a clue, so if anyone knows

you mean you have never heard of the famous polygamist Jimmy Swinton?

More wives than your average Arab oil sheik hence the need for all the cottages.

Actually I have never heard of him either but it is a s good an explanation as any even if it is not true :mrgreen::twisted::P

I always thought they were called 'Jinny/Jinnie' Swintons cottages not 'Jimmy' Swintons :unsure::oops:

Dizz, you could be right, as usual I probably assumed because a photo had the title 'Jimmy Swinton's' cottages that it was what they were known as, howzabout searching for the name on the 1841/51/61 census's :unsure:. I do realise you are a 'Busy Bunny' at the moment so no rush Eh!, tommorow'l do. :wink::D :grin: :D

Cheeky Sod! (thought I would save you saying it) :wink: .

For you Algy anything :wink: I wonder if I'm just getting confused with Jinny Green teeth though.

I've just had a quick look but not found anything yet. I have complete brain freeze though. I can't remember anything about old Stockton Heath today (now that IS scarey)... help !!

What road were they on at the time as I can't find London Road or Grappenhall Road on the old census returns for those years, were they called something else. When were they knocked down?

Blimey, what on earth is happening to me :shock:

For you Algy anything :wink: I wonder if I'm just getting confused with Jinny Green teeth though.

I've just had a quick look but not found anything yet. I have complete brain freeze though. I can't remember anything about old Stockton Heath today (now that IS scarey)... help !!

What road were they on at the time as I can't find London Road or Grappenhall Road on the old census returns for those years, were they called something else. When were they knocked down?

Blimey, what on earth is happening to me :shock:

Dizz, I seem to remember London Road being Northwich Road hence the Northwich Road swing bridge, not sure about Grappenhall Road though. :unsure:

Thanks Algy and yeah my brain kicked in for a few minutes and I searched that too. Nothing found yet but I might have to leave it until weekend. Sorry ... :(

Maybe Tracey can help answer the question as she's clearly very good indeed on old searches and far better than me.

Had to laugh though as I came across some Bennett's living in a road called 'Little Moor('s) Row' in SH when I was having a look for Jimmy's place. Never heard of Little Moor('s?) Row before but these blummin' Bennets seem to crop up everywhere these days. If Baz is reading I saw some Toft's nearby too :blink:

Thanks Algy and yeah my brain kicked in for a few minutes and I searched that too. Nothing found yet but I might have to leave it until weekend. Sorry ... :(

Maybe Tracey can help answer the question as she's clearly very good indeed on old searches and far better than me.

Had to laugh though as I came across some Bennett's living in a road called 'Little Moor('s) Row' in SH when I was having a look for Jimmy's place. Never heard of Little Moor('s?) Row before but these blummin' Bennets seem to crop up everywhere these days. If Baz is reading I saw some Toft's nearby too :blink:

Dont ask me why Dizz, but 'm sure it is 'Jimmy' Swinton. Here's a map of SH centre with Littlemores Row on it.

LittlemoresRow.jpg

I've found a Jimmy Swinton but not in Stockton Heath. On the 1861 Census he was a farmer of 140 acres in Acton Grange, born in Lower Walton. On the Tithe maps he's occupying some land owned by Anne Grime and he does sublet a cottage but, again, it's in Lower Walton not in SH. (incidentally, I do love the old field names 'Far Loont in Crabtree Acre') In 1871 his address is 'Mersey View Farm', not sure if this is the same place or not. I suppose it's possible he invested in property, hence the Sh cottages, when he retired.

Which Census were the Bennett's you found on Dizzy? I'd be interested to have a look. The reason I uncovered our link to the Blinston Mill in SH was because one of the Blinston girls married a Bennett so they could be some of mine!

I've found a Jimmy Swinton but not in Stockton Heath. On the 1861 Census he was a farmer of 140 acres in Acton Grange, born in Lower Walton. On the Tithe maps he's occupying some land owned by Anne Grime and he does sublet a cottage but, again, it's in Lower Walton not in SH. (incidentally, I do love the old field names 'Far Loont in Crabtree Acre') In 1871 his address is 'Mersey View Farm', not sure if this is the same place or not. I suppose it's possible he invested in property, hence the Sh cottages, when he retired.

Which Census were the Bennett's you found on Dizzy? I'd be interested to have a look. The reason I uncovered our link to the Blinston Mill in SH was because one of the Blinston girls married a Bennett so they could be some of mine!

Tracey, are you related to Alan & Susan Bennett on this website;

http://familytree.cheshirealan.org.uk/pd4.htm

If so the following extract from their this page (scroll down) would indicate that you may be related to a 'Swinton' family.

James Swinton1

M, #13452, b. between 31 March 1827 and 7 April 1827

Father James Swinton1 b. 23 Jul 1798

Mother Mary Swinton1

Relationship 2nd cousin 4 times removed of Robert Alan Bennett.

Birth* between 31 March 1827 and 7 April 1827 James Swinton was born between 31 March 1827 and 7 April 1827 at Newton by Daresbury, Cheshire, England, .1,2,3

Baptism 16 September 1827 He was baptised on 16 September 1827 at Hill Cliffe Baptist Church, Appleton, Cheshire, England, .4

(Member Of Household) Census1841 7 June 1841 He was listed as a member of the household of James Swinton in the 1841 census at Walton Inferior, Cheshire, England, .1

(Son) Census1851 30 March 1851 He was listed as the son of James Swinton in the 1851 census at Cuerdley, Lancashire, England, .2

Occupation* 30 March 1851 James Swinton was a farmers son on 30 March 1851.2

Marriage* 1852 He married Emma Laverock, daughter of John Laverock and Mary Reade, in 1852 at St Elphin, Warrington, Lancashire, England, .5

Occupation 7 April 1861 James Swinton was an agricultural labourer on 7 April 1861.3

Census1861* 7 April 1861 He was listed as head of household in the 1861 census at Poulton with Fearnhead, Lancashire, England, .3

Marriage* between 1 October 1863 and 31 December 1863 He married Hannah 'Annie' Smith between 1 October 1863 and 31 December 1863 at Register Office or Registrar Attended, Leigh, Lancashire, England, .6,7,8,9

Occupation 2 April 1871 James Swinton was a farm labourer on 2 April 1871.6

Census1871* 2 April 1871 He was listed as head of household in the 1871 census at ? Old Hall Farm, Bold, Lancashire, England, .6

Occupation 3 April 1881 He was a farmer on 3 April 1881.10

Census1881* 3 April 1881 He was listed as head of household in the 1881 census at Fearnhead Cross, Fearnhead, Lancashire, England, .10

Family 1

Emma Laverock b. 7 May 1822, d. bt 1 Jul 1861 - 30 Sep 1861

Children

John Swinton3 b. bt 8 Apr 1853 - 2 Apr 1854

Joseph Swinton3 b. bt 8 Apr 1855 - 7 Apr 1856

Emma Swinton3 b. bt 8 Apr 1856 - 7 Apr 1857

Margaret Swinton3 b. bt 8 Apr 1858 - 7 Apr 1859

James Swinton+6 b. bt 6 Apr 1861 - 31 Mar 1862

Lol! Yes I am related to Alan and Susan Bennett although I'm not exactly sure how at the moment. I have e-mailed them though and am attempting to get my 5x great grandfather onto their tree as they don't have him - his birth is missing from the Parish records and I only established the link through a Will which they don't seem to have.

Thanks for the info, I'll have a look at it in detail. However they do have several lines on their website so it's possible Jimmy is from one I'm not related to.

:lol::lol: He's done it to me too Tracey.... I'm supposed to be working. He's a bugger eh? :lol::wink:

I spotted Harry Bennett (b1870) on the 1901 census for number 1 Little Moor(s) Row Tracey. Just had another look... keep reading don’t get bored ha ha and remember I joked that you could be related to my other half’s family well if any of these people are in your tree one of them married an OWEN on the 1891 census and that’s my other half’s surname !!

1911 Census - 15 Pike Street, Stockton Heath

Harry Bennet (age41) = Elizabeth Bennett (age 40)

children

Edith (a12)

Florence (a11)

Sidney (a8)

Harry (a5)

Groonwy? (a3)

Lancelott Bushell (Nephew a18)

1901 Census - 1 Little Moors Row, Stockton Heath

Harry Bennett (age 31) = Elizabeth Bennett (age 30)

children

Edith Mary Bennet (a2)

Florrence G Bennett (a1)

1891 Census - Post Office, Northwich Road, Stretton, Stockton Heath

John Bennett (age 49 Foreman Joiner) = Frances Bennett (nee THOMAS)

children

Harry (a21) Joiner,

Fanny Bushell (daughter nee Bennett) (a20)

John (a19) postman

Mary Beatrice (a15)

Eustance (a13)

Albert OWEN – son-in-law – (a20) bricklayer

Sarah Elizabeth Owen (daughter nee Bennett) (a 18

Colin Owen – grandson (a4)

Sarah E Bushell – Grandaughter (a2)

Randolph Bushell – grandson (a 2m)

? Owen – (a under 1m)

1881 – Stretton (no actual address)

John Bennett (joiner) = Frances Bennett (nee THOMAS) (provision Dealer)

children

Harry (a11)

Fanny (a10)

John (a9)

Sarah Elizabeth (a8)

Mary Bretrice (a5)

Eustance (a3)

Edith (a0)

Eustance THOMAS (brother in Law) (a23)

1871 – Hatton Common Cottage, Hatton, Runcorn

John Bennett (a29) = Frances Bennett (a26) (nee THOMAS)

Children

Harry (a2)

Fanny (a0)

Tracey while you are searching your family if you do any more on Alderman Arthur Bennett’s line can you keep an eye out for a connection to the Molyneaux Family. (Sometimes it’s spelt wrong though)

Like I said my mum wrote that Alderman AB was ‘fathers cousin, Arthur laid the foundation stone at Warrington Police Station’ next to his picture in her book.

Mums father (my granddad) was Charles (Charlie) Matthew Molyneaux (b 1 Dec 1898 – d 8 Nov 1960) and he married Edith Shaw (b abt 1902 – d 1966)

Charles father was George Molyneaux (b 1860 – d 1920) Charles mother was Esther Emma Gittens/Gittins (b1860 - d 17 Sept 1935

Charles siblings were George, Arthur and Gladys Emma.

Thanks… just thought I’d ask incase you even happen to spot any as try as I might I still can’t connect them even after looking at your link.

Well how about that for taking another photo topic off track (sort of)…. It’s your fault really though Algy as if you didn’t post your wonderful old pics in the first place these things wouldn’t keep cropping up ha ha x x

I'll keep an eye out for Molyneaux. We do have an Owen on our tree but much later. My Grandad's sister married an Owen in 1942 but if that was your family I'm sure you'd have recognised my name by now.

I tried to be good and carry on with the housework but I scalded my foot on the steam cleaner - think I'll have to stick with genealogy in the future.

Right, I've had a look and I think I know what's going on with the SH Bennetts. I've traced Harry's line back to Samuel Bennett, probably born about 1770ish. I haven't established a common ancestor but I've come across this bunch before as one branch of their trees often gets mistaken for mine. Common sense tells me we probably are related, having the same name in the same area but I just can't get the records back far enough to confirm it. I suspect Samuel was possibly a nephew of my oldest Bennett ancestor, William born 1733 but can't be sure.

I have locked the Swinton's into my tree though, found an stray sister thanks to Algy's link and her descendants turn into the Swintons.

I don't think I would spot or recognise anything Tracey even if it was staring me in the face and shouting out loud surrounded by flashing neon blue lights :lol:

I never tend to look at my other halfs tree line very often and the names don't stick in my head even though it is recorded on my tree. I added it so he and my son can see that line too (not that either of them seem remotely interested.)

My other half's aunt (Eva Owen) married Gordon Bennett in 1944 so I guess I you aren't related to him from what you say. Bloody lucky if you ask me as he's a right grump at times ha ha.

Saying that they are both definately on the link you gave me (and the one Algy also posted)along with others of his family and their pics... I just spent two hours looking :oops:

Spooky cos your link shows Eva's dad as Harold Joseph 'Jo' Owen (I know that anyway cos he was my other halfs grandad) but I just noticed on it that Harold J's parents were Joseph Owen and Jane SWINTON :blink:

Anyway, seems my other half IS related to the "Alan and Susan Bennett" tree like you are and his Granddad is the 4th cousin twice removed of the tree maker Alan Bennett.

A lot of the records on there are cited as being from a 'Carol Rigby tree cd'. Do you have an 'ancestry' account as she has one heck of a huge family tree full of Bennetts and info (not viewable without permission though). It's amazing and maybe some of your match hers.

Blimey.... I really need to stop looking as I think I'm becoming obsessed with my damn tree again when I should be doing something else.

Sorry to bore everyone else who was probably just enjoying looking at Algys lovely old photo's :oops:

oops sorry Tracey, we must have been posting at the same time so I didn't see your other post. How on earth to you get so far back and sus it out so quickly.

I need a lie down in a dark room and all my common sense has just flown out of the window. Molyneauxs and Bennetts... Owens and Bennetts... Owens and Swintons ... Bennetts and Swintons.

If I come across any with links to my surname (my dads side obviously) I think I'll just loose the plot completely :blink::lol:

oops sorry Tracey, we must have been posting at the same time so I didn't see your other post. How on earth to you get so far back and sus it out so quickly.

I need a lie down in a dark room and all my common sense has just flown out of the window. Molyneauxs and Bennetts... Owens and Bennetts... Owens and Swintons ... Bennetts and Swintons.

If I come across any with links to my surname (my dads side obviously) I think I'll just loose the plot completely :blink::lol:

It was quite easy Dizz! I got Harry's father John as a child on the 1851 census which gave me John's father's name (William), date and place of birth. I used this to look in the Find My Past Cheshire Parish Records and found William's baptism record. This gave me William's parents names - John and Alice. So far so straight forward.

It gets shaky after that, I think I may have found John's baptism record but can't be sure. If I have got the right one then his parents were Samuel and Ann Bennett. As John was born in 1791, I guessing his Dad was probably born in 1771 at the latest.