Balcony death father

Horace

Baz Kate and I were debating the current sad case of the man who took his own son's life whilst mentally disturbed.

I can only base my opinion on what has been reported. Like Observer infers this man should perhaps have been better supervised even locked up because of the potential threat he posed to himself & his family and he should have been taking his medication.

As for Helen Newlove I think that there maybe a strong chance that we will meet in the near future.

I think that she made an excellent speech. During our parish meeting on Thursday called by the local inspector I made the suggestion that we extract the main points from her speech and use them as an outline plan of actions that must be addressed.

I can assure you that I do take my role as Parish Councillor seriously and regularly report back to the police on things that I have seen or learnt about. They do take action and would like to receive more intelligence so that they can put the criminals away. I have been involved in the police audits in the area and I was a passenger in the November 'Test Purchase? where we investigated the sale of alcohol to under 18's in the area. The establishments that failed will be dealt. However there are too many adults continuing to buy or give alcohol to kids.

The inspector rook on board all our suggestions and gave us details of his ongoing and proposed initiatives during the 90 minute meeting. We will be meeting up in the near future to take things much further.

Maybe I do appear to see the positive side in people.

I know from experience that when I have taken action into my own hands the Warrington police have suggestion that I would be accompanying them to the spend time in their jail. That is something I don't want to do so I have had to find other ways. I work within and alongside the law as best I can.

I would suggest that in cases like this, we are in NO position to pass an opinion as we only have the media reporting to form an opinion.

We don't know the state of his mind, nor do we have experience in that field.

How many people go to court and ADMIT they have killed anyone?

How many people are released having convinced the Parole Board that are reformed characters and yet have repeated their crimes. A person can pretend to be anything they want if it suits their purpose.

Even IF he was deranged at the time, he should be kept away from the public.

Geoff,

you have always come across as a genuine type of guy and I admire you for that. The problem is that it always appears that the criminal has the upper hand in everything. There are countless organisations and departments who all offer counselling and support and welfare to criminals and their families but only a handful for the actual victims (I don't see offenders families as victims.... they are a consequence of an offenders action)

In my own case, all be it a long time ago now, I had two sessions with a counsellor. She was an older woman (maybe late 40's early 50's) and she said to me.. "I know how you feel.... my husband died of cancer 4 years ago...." I was 23 and my wife had been murdered.... she did not know how I felt!

Reading the paper today it seems that the magistrates have a lot to answer for when it comes to letting these monsters out instead of locking them up on remand... maybe they should be a target. I read that the father of Michael Theaker called for the chairman of the Warrington Magistrates to resign after his son was murdered back in 2005 but up until now he has refused to do so.

Wasn't it the magistrates who let Adam Swellings out on the morning he killed Gary Newlove? Maybe a complete overhaul of the system of Magistrates is in order as it seems that maybe the liberal softies have found a place where they can let out as many criminals as they see fit; without any comeback on themselves?

To go back to your post and in particular the bit about the off licenses selling booze to kids you said "The establisments that failed will be dealt with" :o When? Surely they should have been closed down immediately?

and finally, the total crux of the problem..."I know from experience that when I have taken action into my own hands the Warrington police have suggestion that I would be accompanying them to the spend time in their jail." Why do the Police and the system always come down harder on thiose people who are trying to sort out trouble rather than congratulating them on their community spirit? At the moment, the Police are very protective of their own failings in the Fearnhead area because despite all the warnings from the public about feral youths they did nothing and the murder was the final consequence. Now they are trying to shore up relations by cheap media stunts by putting real coppers infront of the cameras instead of the powerless PCSO's that are actually seen everywhere these days and when the hoo haa has died down, you will not even get the inspector to speak to you on the phone Geoff; let alone attend a community meeting.

Am I negative... dead right; but unfortunately, events in this town and the country as a whole make me that way!

oh, and as for the statement "As for Helen Newlove I think that there maybe a strong chance that we will meet in the near future"; take Kate with you and maybe the two of you could tell her all about your compassion for the perpetrators of such crimes and see what response you get....

[ 26.01.2008, 13:11: Message edited by: BazJ ]

Bazj,

You?re covering many issues here in one post.

You are right I and others do not know or can even imagine what you went through and I hope I never have to experience anything like it.

I don't sympathise or excuse the action of the youths at all neither do the police. I can't say more on such a public forum especially as people know who I am.

I have also learnt from experience that as well as being threatened with the cells my car has been damage and stones thrown against my window - so my family gets dragged into the situation which isn't fair on them.

Just because I have a view on this particular case and have sympathy for the perpetrator I have a great deal of sympathy for his wife and family.

It doesn't mean that I am defending criminal actions quite the reverse I want them put away but each case has to be judged on it?s de-merits.

Finally it will be interesting to see what happens as a consequence of Helen Jones? meeting with Jack Straw today and also between Mrs Newlove and the Prime Minister. She is an exceptionally brave lady as are her girls and my heart goes out to them.

Hopefully people will give them the time to grieve, especially the media who are tearing the place apart in order to get a headline.

I have to say geoff to throw the kids off is murder no matter how depressed you are...do it to yourself but not innocent kids..there was a case her a while back where a bloke took his 4 children and killed them and himself!!what for to get at the ex wife.It has been brought about over here over recent years that dads need more access to their kids and they have needs people have gone to great lengths to prove they cant live how the custody says so they probably feel driven to this.Mental illness or depression does affect people in different ways[i have seen people really bad also]and we all get a bit down or depressed if you like at cetain stages in our life but this is murder.you could go on and sympathise any one whos murdered someone for what ever reason they did it...its the kids and the mother thats left and the rellies i feel sorry for have to say. :(