Joey Dunn - Sacked?!

WireWarrior97

Apparently the board kept changing their story about sacking Joey and who'd be brung in.

How do you know that? If you're going online making statements like that you have to be sure don't you?

I would imagine that their is no "story" around who would come in as its advertised and the board would surely have some targets in mind anyway. I've not read on Twitter or anywhere for all that matter on why he was sacked so why do you?

The board must have had reasons and the ones i've read are for a change of direction so as fans we need to hope that change of direction is one that gets us up the leagues. Managers and clubs part ways all the time so deal with it.

Ah the good ol days! :blink:

im not saying they were the good old days.

However i was talking about players leaving. Players typically follow managers around, look at Curzon they started the season with 1 ex Mossley manager and 7 ex Mossley players.

in my time watching town i can only think of 2 players (Cartledge & Tickle) that have stayed with town throughout their careers.

next year i think alot of this team may not be here.

Speculation and starting rumours?

At the end of the day, the board decided that Joey should go. End of. It's their money that keeps the club going.

Why their decision should be explained to the players in detail, I don't understand?

The reasons seem pretty clear to me and the main one being the lack of progression on the pitch.

The club wants promotion and standing still is going to get it.

A very good example is the Wolves replacing Cullen who was taking them nowhere fast.

I would suggest WW97 that if you can't be constructive in your criticism, that you should keep quiet.

By the way, Ryan Giggs was at the rugby match the other night. Does that mean he is going to be the next manager or start playing rugby. Get over yourself. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Even if whoever we bring in knows what it is like to manage or to play in the Football League, it doesn't mean he knows how to get there. Managing in Non-League is different from managing in the Football League too. Players can't come and go whenever they chose in the Football league, for example.

We should go for a manager with a good record of getting non-league clubs promoted a few divisions, not a manager who has spent a few years drifting around in mid-table in the Football League.

I've spoken to Matt Cross about it on Twitter, and that is pretty much his reasoning for leaving. I'll admit the wording of my post before wasn't brilliant. Matt said that he feels that directors never directly explained why they sacked Joey, and also thinks that Joey was sacked just to bring in the Prescot bloke, because Reid(?) was apparently at the Radcliffe game.

I was at that game and i spoke to one of the VP Lounge pass holders who told me he overheard directors saying that two other managers were there as well. Does that mean they are in the running as well?

One was from Trafford and i think the other was Alty.

Even if whoever we bring in knows what it is like to manage or to play in the Football League, it doesn't mean he knows how to get there. Managing in Non-League is different from managing in the Football League too. Players can't come and go whenever they chose in the Football league, for example.

We should go for a manager with a good record of getting non-league clubs promoted a few divisions, not a manager who has spent a few years drifting around in mid-table in the Football League.

Your quote:

I've spoken to Matt Cross about it on Twitter, and that is pretty much his reasoning for leaving. I'll admit the wording of my post before wasn't brilliant. Matt said that he feels that directors never directly explained why they sacked Joey, and also thinks that Joey was sacked just to bring in the Prescot bloke, because Reid(?) was apparently at the Radcliffe game.

If you don't believe it, don 't quote it. :roll: :roll: :roll:

It's a tough one, especially on Joey and Stuart, (and thanks due to both) but we cannot keep treading water, and it is a results business, so IMHO the board had little choice.

However we need to move on now, keep the faith and keep supporting the lads {and the new management team} 'cos thats what we do yeah???

In my view the quicker we get a permanent replacement, the better, then we can turn the page.

Also I think we can still spring a few surprises and whilst not easy now given recent results, I think we could still be up there in play-off land come the end of the season :P

Come away the Wire!

I just read this article about the recent events with Warrington and all that. Quite a few valid points made.

Be aware the that the editor of the article is a friend of the previous managers so dont read to much into a one sided argument.

No of the points are valid for the simple reason is that the board runs the club and is not required to explain any decisions it makes.

Reading the article i've not heard of any fans who are saying they are not watching for the rest of the season.

I just read this article about the recent events with Warrington and all that. Quite a few valid points made.

Written by Aaron flanagan - trying to make a name for himself - not much older than you Wire Warrior!

About me

Gender Male

Industry Student

Occupation Full-time wannabe

Location Huddersfield, West Yorkshire, United Kingdom

Introduction Spent my whole life watching non-league football across the north of England. Originally from Manchester, I am currently studying in Huddersfield after helping out five different football clubs with media and reporting duties in my teenage years. Here to spread the good word of non-league football. And pies.

Interests Football, non-league, nights out, poker, sports writing.

Doesn't the plonker know there are two sides to every story! :oops:

nah he has made many valid points there why relieve joey of his duties at this stage in the season why not wait til the end and review the board have obviously lied and been corrupt and although i am willing to give reid a chance i feel joey was building for the future. in my opinion a well written honest report of the situation.

• Upvote 1

I think it is now time to move on,

Despite me being unhappy about the sacking of Joey i know believe it is time to support Shaun in the new era.

Lets all unite back in to team Warrington and give the lads all our support.

I am puzzzled how you can be unhappy about a manager being sacked who told supporters he was going to deliver a title winning team, which has one of the worst disciplinary records in non league football and clearly wasn't fit or going anywhere fast?

While I applaud your loyalty - I find it very strange that you are happy to support a team that had become nothing more than a mid table team bobbing along.

Everyone keeps going on about the 11 game unbeaten run - it was seven wins and four draws and his last four games in charge only brought one win and piss poor performances at lowly Wakefield and Clitheroe - that was not the kind of form that was going to get anywhere near the play offs - let alone going on and winning them.

All your so called good players had already jumped the sinking ship before Joey was shown the door - e.g. Corrigan, Hickey (leading scorer) and longest serving player and skipper Tom Hardwick - clearly seeing the grass as beening greener at Skelmersdale. Duffy had already probably made up his mind to join them, while Collins was never going to turn down a move to the Blue Square North with Colwyn Bay.

From what I have heard the new manager is actually hands on with training the players - and is fitter than the lot of them - what was your last manager doing?

But you are right - it is now time for you all to move on and support a team which should be punching its weight up above with the likes of Chorley and Chester!

Managers are judged by their results at the end of a season, not by whether you like them or not.

Town's results have left a lot to be desired as no progress seems to have been made this last 18 months.

People put their money into something to see results, not because they have money to throw away. All you knockers, especially the plonker that wrote that article, need to get over yourselves and take the rose tinted specs off.

People go to watch WTFC to see a winning team, not a Sunday morning kick about.

I am puzzzled how you can be unhappy about a manager being sacked who told supporters he was going to deliver a title winning team, which has one of the worst disciplinary records in non league football and clearly wasn't fit or going anywhere fast?

While I applaud your loyalty - I find it very strange that you are happy to support a team that had become nothing more than a mid table team bobbing along.

Everyone keeps going on about the 11 game unbeaten run - it was seven wins and four draws and his last four games in charge only brought one win and piss poor performances at lowly Wakefield and Clitheroe - that was not the kind of form that was going to get anywhere near the play offs - let alone going on and winning them.

All your so called good players had already jumped the sinking ship before Joey was shown the door - e.g. Corrigan, Hickey (leading scorer) and longest serving player and skipper Tom Hardwick - clearly seeing the grass as beening greener at Skelmersdale. Duffy had already probably made up his mind to join them, while Collins was never going to turn down a move to the Blue Square North with Colwyn Bay.

From what I have heard the new manager is actually hands on with training the players - and is fitter than the lot of them - what was your last manager doing?

But you are right - it is now time for you all to move on and support a team which should be punching its weight up above with the likes of Chorley and Chester!

Unhappy is probably a strong word, im more disappointed with the way and time it was done. Joey no matter what people say has done an excellent job at Warrington. At this moment in time the club is in a much stronger position than before he took over.

Players are always going to leave for more money, im sure that Skem are currentley offering silly money in a desperate attempt to reach the playoffs.

As a supporter that has been watching town for 16 years most of which have been a massive struggle then yes i am happy to watch a very stable club, one that is not swinging from one disaster to another.

The wakefield game was probably one of the worst performances i have seen town ever put in, probably the only one that compares is the debarcle under Paul Moore at Colwyn Bay. However only 5 games or so before we turned over a very good Lancaster side, so it happens in football,

I thought the club was making slow and steady progress, ok we have regressed abit this year (partly due to inconsistency) but this is the first season of disappointemt that Joey has deliverd yet we are still 9th it shows how far the club have come.

Like i said Shaun has now come in and as a supporter of the club i will support him 100% hopefully he will have the same effect that Joey had when he first arrived in terms of moving the club forward.

It would be nice to turn Chorley over aswell :P

Burgerman, last season was a disappointment. One minute the play-offs are in touching distance and then for some reason, WTFC were going to fall short and the team/?manager? gave up.

This season was a lousy start and never really got going apart from a good run a few weeks back.

After the groundwork last season, the club should have been in the top 4 all season, imo. :wink: